Best track tyre

N0ddie

Platinum Member
Thinking about going back to using track day tyres (R888, AO48s etc) on track days.

Currently running AD08s which are good but just lack the outright grip that the dedicated track tyre like the R888s offer.

I've used R888s in the past so know they are superb. However, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the other ones out there. I know there's the Yoko AO48s and a Dunlop ones but that's where my knowledge runs out.

So! Advice please.

look at the tyre post id posted up recently, i posted a link with the top 5 track day tyres, and u will be surprised, u either want dry weather grip, wet or abit of both. look it up

Silverstone FTZ Type-RR.

PPC magazine rated them above everything including R888's. I've not tried R888's, but when warm these things are like driving on carpet with velcro tyres. :smile:

Thinking about going back to using track day tyres (R888, AO48s etc) on track days.

Currently running AD08s which are good but just lack the outright grip that the dedicated track tyre like the R888s offer.

I've used R888s in the past so know they are superb. However, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the other ones out there. I know there's the Yoko AO48s and a Dunlop ones but that's where my knowledge runs out.

So! Advice please.

R888's are best Ll rounder IMO

Fz201 is better in the dry but in anything other than bone dry its game over

A048's , Fantastic tyre. Been running them on track days for couple years on the mk1 focus. still got 8 sat in the shed lol. So much grip. Also if push to much they will give plenty warning that on the edge. If they can cope with 350-360bhp mk1 on track they'll be excellent on the clio. Ive been out in a car on r888's and i thought personal my car felt alot better on the yoko's.

R888 in Clio size from Demon Tweeks are only £163 per tyre. Yokos are £202.

:blush:hmy: well cant argue with that price. Shocked me price diff there 2bh.

other options ,Got the fedrel RSR's ? Also kumo do a set proper track rubber. Think they fitted too the new mini GP

Silver stones are £168 though are they road legal?

Indeed they are.

I will warn you that on wet/cold mornings they are twitchy until there's some heat in them. However if they're warm and then it rains, they deal with it no problem, standing water isn't a major issue either really but they're obviously not as good as the Conti's are in the wet with them having such a hardcore tread pattern. I'm using the medium compound and wear rates are excellent, soft compound may perform a bit better in the wet/cold from cold but will probably wear faster...

My last set were Kumho V70A in medium compund and I thought they were on par with the R888's. I found them to be a bit noiser (whilst turning on track not general driving) but the R888's worked better in the wet.

At the price theyre spot on mate and lots of the guys on meganesport use them.

Currently running AD08's

I know the weathers still pretty crap, was -6 with me this morning, so I'm just driving normal with them.

Just a quick question, what pressures do people run the ad08's?
I'm running F34 R31? Is this right?

Hi guys...what is the marking (GG?) on the hardest R888 type?
I am planing to get a set for daily+weekend+2-3 track days so the set should last at least 10.000 km...

Hi guys...what is the marking (GG?) on the hardest R888 type?
I am planing to get a set for daily+weekend+2-3 track days so the set should last at least 10.000 km...

I'd recommend the Yoko A048s over the R888s tbh.

They last longer and take less of a beating than the R888s.