BBC Loses F1 to Sky Sports!!!

Well no ad breaks during the race is something at least, but I think this is very damaging for the sport. F1 has really hit a sweet spot this last couple of years, both in the sport and the especially the BBC coverage. With talk of new owners for the sport and moving it over to Sky I can see it heading down hill very quickly!

For me its the single worst decision the BBC has ever made, the F1 fan in me knows I will pay, but my morals say I should tell them to **** OFF!

Personally I don't think it will damage the sport at all. They have both eyes firmly fixed on the east, vastly untapped advertising revenue. Sadly, I don't think Bernie et al would notice a difference in wallet size if the Uk stopped watching F1.

Brundle is out of contract, so hopefully they'll poach him for the coverage. It won't be as bad as people think. The coverage of Nascar etc is poor because it's not a big money spinner, so doesn't get a decent production budget. F1 will be massive for them, so they'll get a much better budget.

dont think it will affect the sport. Watching it on TV isnt making them money, sky will have paid more to buy the races so if anything (not that they need it) but the sport will get more money.

Whats more annoying is that the BBC have lost yet another show, seriously, why do you have to pay a tv licence when pretty soon there will be nothing on the BBC. Money is going to funding other countries tv, BBC Asia and the likes, instead of buying the best entertainment for us.

Like previous post said, pretty soon it will just be tennis and Have I Got News for You.

Think you should be llowed to opt out of paying tv licence and they cut off the BBC to your house. Who would miss it? Anything good i can see on iplayer

Personally I don't think it will damage the sport at all. They have both eyes firmly fixed on the east, vastly untapped advertising revenue. Sadly, I don't think Bernie et al would notice a difference in wallet size if the Uk stopped watching F1.

Brundle is out of contract, so hopefully they'll poach him for the coverage. It won't be as bad as people think. The coverage of Nascar etc is poor because it's not a big money spinner, so doesn't get a decent production budget. F1 will be massive for them, so they'll get a much better budget.

Id love to see MB move over to sky. IMO he makes the race (coulthard) helps to.

I think that Sky coverage is second to none on pretty much every sport. I always choose to watch Sky coverage over the terrestrial channels for sports they both cover (champs league final for example). I think it's a good investment for Sky and can see why they've done it. I'm very glad that there won't be any ad breaks in the actual race aswell.
I don't see how the BBC can compete with the likes of Sky when they don't have advertising so I guess this happening was slightly inevitable. It's a shame because BBC do have great coverage but as a Sky customer already it makes absolutely no difference to me. And Sky will get Martin Brundle on board, guaranteed. If you love the sport you'll pay for it, it's what football fans have had to do for years.

Doesn't really surprise me this has happened.
Terrestrial TV is gearing more and more towards womens programming, its becoming more and more expensive to watch 'blokes' programming.

For instance; to watch EPL football these days we have to pay 3 times
1. TV license
2. Sky subscription
3. Sky sports subscription

It's not very often that women have to pay out that much to watch girly stuff (i'll get ready for all the feminine abuse!!!)

I think we need to start 'burning our bras' fellas before it gets even worse :tongueout:inky:

I don't think it will affect f1 but it effects us who can't afford sky sports, my mom wont get sky sports, and what's the bet it won't be just always on sky sports 1? I bet they move some races to sky sports 2 so you have to get all channels!

I'm not an F1 fan, but that's a shame. I get so annoyed because sky keep calling me to ask if I'll upgrade to Sky Sports. I refuse to obviously.

If they'd move Top Gear to a Sky Channel we can't get in the UK, then that would be brilliant :smile:

I think that Sky coverage is second to none on pretty much every sport. I always choose to watch Sky coverage over the terrestrial channels for sports they both cover (champs league final for example). I think it's a good investment for Sky and can see why they've done it. I'm very glad that there won't be any ad breaks in the actual race aswell.
I don't see how the BBC can compete with the likes of Sky when they don't have advertising so I guess this happening was slightly inevitable. It's a shame because BBC do have great coverage but as a Sky customer already it makes absolutely no difference to me. And Sky will get Martin Brundle on board, guaranteed. If you love the sport you'll pay for it, it's what football fans have had to do for years.

by the sounds of it they didnt know about it until the press release....they have all been given notice - even the jordan says its bad for f1

Doesn't really surprise me this has happened.
Terrestrial TV is gearing more and more towards womens programming, its becoming more and more expensive to watch 'blokes' programming.

For instance; to watch EPL football these days we have to pay 3 times
1. TV license
2. Sky subscription
3. Sky sports subscription

It's not very often that women have to pay out that much to watch girly stuff (i'll get ready for all the feminine abuse!!!)

I think we need to start 'burning our bras' fellas before it gets even worse :tongueout:inky:

Fair point IMO!!!

It is a fair point about football but in my opinion that sport has been ruined by the money culture it has. I know this is a pot/kettle situation but my point still stands.

I do still think the sport will suffer, at least in the uk. F1 thrives here (a LARGE percentage of teams are based here) and people genuinely love the sport. But its not like football, you cant go down the park and have a kick about at f1. It was the last motorsport event still shown regularly on 'normal' Tele, so without it being easily accessible to everyone and not just families who can afford sky sports I can see interest starting to struggle. Which is a really sad thought :worried:

TBH I think the BBC is totally wrong. How can you make it illegal to watch free channels on your tv because 1 broadcaster won't show ads? You should be able to opt out of having the BBC on your tv, or they should have ads. I'm not an F1 fan tbh, IMO the sport isn't particularly interesting, the cars are all too similar. The WRC is motor sport greatness. Put cars through the ultimate tests around the world. But that is on Dave and you can get it free.

TBH I think the BBC is totally wrong. How can you make it illegal to watch free channels on your tv because 1 broadcaster won't show ads? You should be able to opt out of having the BBC on your tv, or they should have ads. I'm not an F1 fan tbh, IMO the sport isn't particularly interesting, the cars are all too similar. The WRC is motor sport greatness. Put cars through the ultimate tests around the world. But that is on Dave and you can get it free.

wrc isnt on dave anymore....its on pay-view eurosport i think :jumpon:

Yep pretty sure they cancelled it. The dave coverage was actually pretty good but rally is never gonna be a spectator sport. Still a brillaint motorsport all the same!