Another brake fluid thread...

Basically u need to look at the dry boiling point. The higher the better mate are u getting fully braided lines cus u can enter the realms of dot 5, this has a really high dbp and u wont be getting brake fade.

Im getting the goodridge stainless lines.

I'll need around 2 litres (can't remember off the top of my head) so 2 bottles it is.

Wanting to buy off the eurocar parts because i have a 20% off code.

So any help i'll give the code over. :wink:

Having just looked at your link.. good quality brake fluid is expensive. aka £14/L expensive! Edit, having just read your post properly (!!) if you're not doing track days then the ATE blue is serious overkill.

Just buy quality branded fluid and have be done with it. If you boil your fluid on the road then you're driving too fast anyway.. your pads are likely to give up well before your fluid though!

Last edited:
Definitely stick with DOT4, most brake lines etc aren't compatible with DOT5 and DOT5.1

Dry boiling point is the boiling point of brand new fluid, wet boiling point is old fluid with some water in it. Both are equally important unless you're changing your fluid every few months

The ATE super blue stuff is good and makes bleeding the brakes really easy (New fluid is blue, old is yellow ish!)

Your fluid won't make your brakes bite any better, just feel and stay firm as you give your brakes a kicking. Ugrading your pads is what you need. Had good results with ds2500 pads, and pretty good results with redstuff.

Rich

My reds are begging to give me a hard time from cold. Virtually no braking power but wen they are warm they bite like a biatch. Dot 5.1 is bike brake fluid. i have dot 5 yes it needs changing more often but it has a very very high dbp and brake fade under a complete battering is non existent. U cant use this on standard lines they have to be ss master cylinder back.

Are you sure that's true Woody? I used 5.1 for years on my Nissan 200sx with great success on road and track. Due to the battering the brakes got on track I used to change it every 6 months anyway and used DS3000 pads (which have a huge metal content!). Dot 5 is silicone based and can't be used in a car that has previously had dot4 fluid as it'll contain small traces of water as it won't mix (you'll get water bubbles, where with normal fluid you get air bubbles, but the water is obsorbed by the fluid)

For a road car the uber-high boiling point is wasted really as it's unlikely that you will be constantly battering your brakes for any length of time.

Can't say I used my Redstuff for long as I melted them hammering the brakes from silly speeds a few times, which left deposits on the discs. After sanding them down again I switched to OEM ATE pads and slowed down a bit :smiley:
When you needed them, they were superb though.. but maybe they dry-out over time which kills off their low-temp performance? Didn't use them long enough to find out..

DS2500 never dissapoint, yet at over £100 for a front pair.. they ain't cheap!

Rich

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as the OP (Got new OEM pads and getting braided lines soon) however will be using our 200 on the track as well as the road.

What fluid am I best with?

Ditto ^ Motul RBF600. Used it on every car I've owned, never boiled it. First thing I did when I got the Clio was to change it along with the pads. Done several track days and no issues whatsoever.

I don't know if it is any better or worse than the other fluids, but it does exactly what it says on the tin and doesn't cost the earth.

It's also a DOT4, but its specs exceed DOT5 (and the dearer ATE Super Blue). It is "safer" to use in conventional braking systems that "may" suffer if DOT5 performance fluids are used.

100% synthetic fluid, polyglycol bases.
Dry boiling point 312 °C / 593 °F (ATE 280°C)
Wet boiling point 216 °C / 420 °F (ATE 198°C)
Viscosity at -40°C (-40°F) 1750 mm2/s
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) 2.5 mm2/s

I use ktecs carbon Lorraine brake fluid. It's a very expensive dot 4 but has a wet boiling point which far exceeds most 5.1 fluids.

Also use redstuff pads, I've never got the combo to fade and despite popular belief they work very well from cold still. Most impressive is the lack of dust though.

Its the wet boiling point that counts, not the dry!

I only ever used Castrol SRF in my Evo's and will be in the Clio too when the trackday calendar comes out, but it isnt cheap!