Albi R27 452/500 (UPDATE - 19.02.2017 - The end)

tip top condition. love it

Thanks very much @Yiannis197

looks much better mate!

Agreed, but its already braking my heart trying to get in and out of the car and not rub on it or the upright bolster [MENTION=51430]Renault Wolverhampton[/MENTION] lol.

Top work, awesome looking car.

Replacement seat base, yet another thing that I need to do :worried:

Cheers man, the other option is to get it trimmed, but there wasn't enough of price difference to make me not but the whole new base [MENTION=4849]Jcs[/MENTION].

Out of interest, what were you quoted for a re-trim? I've been quoted £125 for the side bolster done, so curious what your price was :smile:

Out of interest, what were you quoted for a re-trim? I've been quoted £125 for the side bolster done, so curious what your price was :smile:

@Steve Murr quoted me £170 + postage as prices had gone up a lot since he first posted that he did them back in 2012.

Update 06.07.2014

As I was writing my last update I was interrupted by the door bell and I was greeted by a delivery driver with a selection of parcels for me.

552.jpg

Obviously I had a fair idea what was in them, but I still couldn’t wait to get them open. (Yes it was like Christmas arriving yet again)

553.jpg

554.jpg

A pair of dimpled and grooved discs from MTEC Brakes.

555.jpg

The smaller package was a set of Mintex Racing pads to compliment the discs.

556.jpg

I felt that when I was replacing the fronts it would be rude not to replace the rears at the same time, as the pads had never been done on the car. So a set of Mintex MDB1377 were also purchased.

557.jpg

Unfortunately yet more money had to be spent, this time in the form of a pair of axel stands from Halfords.

558.jpg

Yesterday saw me getting around to fitting the discs and pads to the car.

As you can see, the standard discs in place for the last time.

559.jpg

Found a good jacking point on the car that would give the best chance of getting the axel stands in place.

560.jpg

Cars hopefully not going to move anywhere now.

561.jpg

Wheel removed and just a quick check to make sure I know what I need to do.

562.jpg

563.jpg

Trying to punch the brake pins out. They were extremely hard to get moving and were by far the most time consuming part of the job.

564.jpg

Onto removing the calipers.

565.jpg

Cable tied out of the way, so they and the brake line don’t get damaged.

566.jpg

Now onto removing the disc. With the screws out it did take several good hits with a mallet to get them off.

567.jpg

568.jpg

569.jpg

Now for a wee clean up with a wire brush.

570.jpg

New discs in place.

571.jpg

Calipers now also back in place.

572.jpg

Pins and pads finally removed, thanks to giving the penetrating oil some time to work its magic.

573.jpg

Copper grease added to the new pads.

574.jpg

575.jpg

576.jpg

Everything now fixed firmly back in place.

577.jpg

The front pads had definitely seen better days. One of them even fell apart when being removed from the car.

578.jpg

579.jpg

And in typical Northern Irish fashion, when I had one side done it decided to rain on us and halt play for a bit.

580.jpg

The above process was then repeated for the driver side of the car, before moving onto the rear pads.

581.jpg

582.jpg

583.jpg

584.jpg

Last edited:
These definitely hadn’t seen the light of day since being put in place in the factory.

585.jpg

586.jpg

587.jpg

Copper grease added to the hub, to make removing the wheel a bit easier in future.

588.jpg

Everything now back in place and hopefully will give me better stopping power than what was in the car before.

589.jpg

The rear pads really had no life left in them, I’m just glad I chose to replace them when doing the fronts.

590.jpg

Now its just a matter of taking my time to run the discs and pads in, before seeing how good they really are lol.

I noticed last night that the thread on my gear know is starting to fray a bit, might have to look into a replacement.

591.jpg

Happy to see this figure appearing on the computer, it’ll be interesting to see what it truly works out at when I come to refill the car.

592.jpg

As always, I look forward to hearing your comments.

John

Last edited:
Good work John, think I will opt for the Mintex pads when mine are due for replacement later this year.

You need to do something about that MPG figure though, way too high :smile:

see uve got urself the same setup as me..u will not be disappointed.. truly amazing...u could have used some anti-squeal paste to make sure that they wont be too loud..might not be though-just a thought..
those rears looked bad before replacing..good job that u have done them too...good upgrade ull see..quite cheap as well:thumbup1: the discs will rust up just so u know..ud better get them painted....

Looks like a good upgrade John, looking forward to a report on what you think of that setup. I was considering this option for my R27. I'm having the brakes stripped and cleaned soon, so will see at that point whether anything needs changing.

36mpg? wtf

Mine does 29 at a push.

How much you pay for them pads if you don't mind me asking?

Good work John, think I will opt for the Mintex pads when mine are due for replacement later this year.

You need to do something about that MPG figure though, way too high :smile:

Lol yea I know [MENTION=50966]Adam93[/MENTION], I'm actually doing a wee experiment to see how high I can get the car to run with having the induction kit and decay fitted. It also fits in well with me having to run the breaks in at the minute.

see uve got urself the same setup as me..u will not be disappointed.. truly amazing...u could have used some anti-squeal paste to make sure that they wont be too loud..might not be though-just a thought..
those rears looked bad before replacing..good job that u have done them too...good upgrade ull see..quite cheap as well:thumbup1: the discs will rust up just so u know..ud better get them painted....

Yea it was actually reading your posts that made me go down that route @Pav, so thanks for that. Their actually not that noisy at the moment so I can't really complain, and as for painting them I'll see how they go through the rest of the summer and might give them a pre winter cost if I think they need it.

Looks like a good upgrade John, looking forward to a report on what you think of that setup. I was considering this option for my R27. I'm having the brakes stripped and cleaned soon, so will see at that point whether anything needs changing.

Yea they seem to be a great upgrade so far @jimmyd81, but obviously I wont know how good until I get them run in, but going on @Pav's comments I definitely wont be disappointed.

36mpg? wtf

Mine does 29 at a push.

How much you pay for them pads if you don't mind me asking?

Lol it all depends how heavy your right foot is @Chris91, I've had the car reading higher in the past but thats been over a short term after refilling. The 36mpg has been over the past 120miles, most of which were on B roads.

Front pads were about £60 and the rears were about £20, so both great value for money.

You have a point :tongueout: when its heavy its 26, normal driving its 28 and when Im careful/motorway its 32. Never had it as high as yours!

Let me know how pads go I might try thrm when im due a change.

while doing the fronts, I think you put the left disc onto the right side and the right one onto the left, it should be the oposite, shouldnt it?

while doing the fronts, I think you put the left disc onto the right side and the right one onto the left, it should be the oposite, shouldnt it?

To be completely honest I didn't even notice that. I guess I'm gonna be busy tomorrow lol.

To be completely honest I didn't even notice that. I guess I'm gonna be busy tomorrow lol.
yep..them discs need fitting on the right side..simple swap..hope u happy with ur setup..i cant praise them enough...

Update 07.07.2014

So after it being pointed out to me that I had a made a rookie mistake (god knows how I did this but I’m going to put it down to being distracted by the brake pins) I was up and at it early this morning to swap the discs round.

593.jpg

594.jpg

595.jpg

596.jpg

597.jpg

598.jpg

All good to go now.

599.jpg

600.jpg

I’m surprised more people didn’t pick up on it.

601.jpg

John
SaveSave

Last edited: