Albi R27 452/500 (UPDATE - 19.02.2017 - The end)

Jeez I'd be happy if I hit 25mpg in mine John lol

Lol I thought I'd just take it easy to see what I could get it up to. That was achieved in roughly 25miles between Dromore and Belfast. I think I could have got it higher but I went into the city and it blew any chance of that.

UPDATE 03.02.2013

So I woke up to a lovely day yesterday morning and thought I would set about changing the sidelight bulbs in the car to leds.

Standard
49.jpg

Purchased through eBay I decided I would go for the same type of bulb that I had used for the interior lights as the 5 leds would give off more light than just a single led.

LED
50.jpg

51.jpg

I think that me done with the modifying and changing parts at the moment as I'm more than happy with the car in its present state. No all I have to do is maintain it with a high level of care and best of all drive it.

John

Last edited:
UPDATE 05.02.2013

For some reason I don't think the car will be going anywhere today. Always nice to wake up to a layer of snow on the car.

52.JPG

John

Last edited:
UPDATE 16.02.2013

So things have been a bit quiet recently with any progression on the R27. I'm mainly just been enjoying driving it.

Recently though I've managed to get the average mpg to show this.

53.jpg

So I'm a happy chappy on that front.

Today saw another purchase arrive in the post. With deciding to sell my black wheel nuts I was contemplating just painting the standard nuts, but then I was trawling through eBay and stumbled across these.

55.jpg

54.jpg

I they actually work really well with the colour of the wheels.

56.jpg

57.jpg

John

Last edited:
UPDATE 18.02.2013

So as I said in the first post when I purchased the R27 the skin of the driver side Recaro was coming away around the bolster area.

5.jpg

I have finally got around to fixing the problem and touch wood its been a good fix so far.

58.jpg

59.jpg

Also after reading lots of detailing posts I've purchased some Iron X to clean up all the iron based contaminants that have settled on the paint of the car.

60.jpg

Really looking forward to trying this product out and seeing what difference it makes.

John

Last edited:
UPDATE 21.02.2013

So after cleaning the car yesterday I decided to take a bit of time this morning paying attention to the finer details that are generally over looked (yes I know this is a bit OCD).

I started off with the gear knob, as I don’t think it had ever been cleaned.

Before
61.jpg

After
62.jpg

Even though it wasn’t overly dirty I gave the area in behind the mirror adjustment knob a clean too.

Before
63.jpg

After
64.jpg

Then I moved onto the doorsills.

Before
65.jpg

After
66.jpg

And into the door shuts, which I also don’t think had ever been cleaned (even though the dealer that sold me the car apparently gave it a full valet).

Before
67.jpg

After
68.jpg

Before
71.jpg

After
72.jpg

The rubbers around the doors had collected a lot of dirt too, so they were next on the list of too do’s.

Before
73.jpg

After
74.jpg

Then I moved onto the door catch and rubber. As you can see, even though the inside of the doors are cleaned at the same time as the rest of the car, behind them seems to collect a lot of dirt.

Before
69.jpg

After
70.jpg

Before
75.jpg

After
76.jpg

77.jpg

And the edge of the bump strip on the door seemed to collect dirt that isn’t picked up by a normal clean, so these were the last things to get looked at.

Before
78.jpg

After
79.jpg

I know there’s a lot more on the car that needs time spent on it, but I feel each of the items I looked at above have made a massive difference to the overall appearance of the car.

John

Last edited:
Car looks super clean :smile: Great work! And patience!

Thanks Chris, its slowly getting there. i haven't really spent any time on the outside of it, its needing de-tarred badly and a few stone chips filled in. But that will all be done when the weather improves a bit.

UPDATE 21.02.2013

And into the door shuts, which I also don’t think had ever been cleaned (even though the dealer that sold me the car apparently gave it a full valet).

Their idea of a 'full valet' and yours are two different things. :thumbsup:

UPDATE 25.02.2013

Today saw me taking advantage of the good weather and giving the car a clean after it collecting a weekends worth of dirt.

I started with a nice coating of snow foam to make the cleaning that much easier.

82.jpg

83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

Time to give the car a rinse.

88.jpg

Looking at it from a distance all looks fine.

89.jpg

90.jpg

However its not until you get a bit closer to the car that you can really notice how bad it is for collecting tar.

91.jpg

92.jpg

95.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

The wheels were also particularly bad for collecting tar, but this is to be expected.

93.jpg

94.jpg

It was nice to see that the plastics I had dressed with the Auto Finesse Revive were still beading well.

98.jpg

99.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

As it was a nice day I felt I should take advantage of it and spend my time doing a bit more work around the car. So I took the decision to take the tar off it. Part of me still thinks it’s a bit early in the year to be doing this but I guess only time will tell.

So I applied some Tardis and left it to work away.

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

108.jpg

Some of the stone chips that will need touched in.

107.jpg

Time for another snow foam and wash to get rid of any excess Tardis.

109.jpg

110.jpg

Drying time…

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

With the car dried off its now looking a lot nicer and ready to have the Iron X applied.

So hopefully that’ll happen tomorrow if it’s a passable day weather wise.

John

Last edited:
UPDATE 27.02.2013

So I was supposed to do this yesterday but unfortunately I spent all day yesterday dying with the flu, but better late than never I guess.

The last update saw me detarring the bodywork of the car and today I decided it was time to take care of the wheels.

117.jpg

118.jpg

I decided that for the first stage on the wheels that I would try out the Iron X I had recently purchased as the wheels were dry and I’d been advised to not use it on damp surfaces.

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

I then gave the wheels a rinse to get rid of the Iron X.

123.jpg

Next it was on the Tardis to remove the tar from the wheels.

124.jpg

125.jpg

While the wheels were off I felt is was best to tidy up the arches and tidy up the break calipers.

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

129.jpg

130.jpg

Wheel arches detarred and tidied up.

131.jpg

As you can see there are some tar spots on the rear calipers also.

132.jpg

133.jpg

134.jpg

135.jpg

Wheels back on, and I’m more than happy with how they’ve turned out.

136.jpg

137.jpg

138.jpg

139.jpg

I just need to get myself a good sealant for the wheels now, so if you have any suggestions please feel free to leave them in a message below.

John
SaveSave

Last edited:
UPDATE 28.02.2013

So when I woke up this morning and saw it was another lovely day I decided yet again tidying up the R27.

141.jpg

140.jpg

The first part of todays work was to Iron X the bodywork of the car.

142.jpg

143.jpg

There didn’t seem to be much iron build up on the car, which didn’t really surprise me as the car has just over 20000 miles on it.

The Iron X was quickly rinsed off, as I didn’t want to risk if marking the paintwork.

144.jpg

I then dried the car off as I was going to go straight to the polishing stage.

145.jpg

But then I bumped into my clay bar at the back of the garage and decided to give the car a once over.

146.jpg

147.jpg

The dirt on the clay bar is just from the windscreen.

148.jpg

With the whole car clayed it was time for another snow foam and wash.

Someone had asked me which snow foam I use, so here it is…

149.jpg

150.jpg

Left to so its business for about 5 minutes.

151.jpg

Time for another rinse.

152.jpg

153.jpg

My lovely eBay mitt…

154.jpg

Dried off again.

155.jpg

156.jpg

Not a bad reflection from the bonnet pre polish.

157.jpg

Poorboys polish with carnauba being applied.

158.jpg

Love the reflection now.

159.jpg

160.jpg

161.jpg

162.jpg

163.jpg

Using cotton buds to clean around the badges.

164.jpg

Nice shot to show off the reflection and depth of colour.

165.jpg

166.jpg

167.jpg

Tyre dressing time with Auto Finesse Satin.

168.jpg

169.jpg

Grills dressed using Auto Finesse Revive.

170.jpg

171.jpg

And onto the interior.

Thankfully it wasn’t too bad, just needed a quick hover and the mats given a once over with a stiff bristled brush.

172.jpg

173.jpg

174.jpg

Pt. 2 ---->

Last edited: