Albi R27 452/500 (UPDATE - 19.02.2017 - The end)

Update 19.04.2015

I recently took a trip over to Orchard Autocare to see Rollo and purchase some more of his products.

My existing Glitz was running low, so it was the first thing on my must get list.

961.jpg

Also having run out of Hydrophobe I was wanting to purchase some more of it, however Ronnie gave me this small bottle of what he called an extreme hydrophobe. He's promised me that the bottle may be small but it packs a lot of punch in that you don't have to use a lot and it can last for several months.

963.jpg

Having read several positive reviews about Ronnies Cotton Candy Snow Foam, I felt it only right that I purchase some and give it a try. I guess I have to try and get the foam lance and power wash working correctly now.

959.jpg

With the end of the bad weather clearly in sight I'm thinking about claying and possibly machine polishing the car, however to complete the first part of this I needed to buy some clay lube and Ronnie offered me this...

960.jpg

The last item purchased from Ronnie was some of his new Shampoo. Its that new the labels haven't even been printed for sale yet, so I'm really looking forward to trying it once my existing Bilt Hamber Auto Wash is finished.

962.jpg

The last purchase this week was some powder free black nitrile gloves courtesy of eBay. I find these great for keeping my hands clean while detailing the car.

964.jpg

Reviews of all items coming as soon as I've used them.

I've also treated myself to the purchase of http://www.clior27.co.uk where I'm posting everything about my Clio, from the moment I got it.

As always, comments are welcome.

John

Last edited:
glad you treat yourself to some goodies mate..how did you set up your web page??

Last edited:
glad to treat yourself to some goodies mate..how did you set up your web page??

Its set up using wordpress [MENTION=41063]Pav[/MENTION], bought the web address and added it to a hosting package I already had.

Update 21.04.2015

Next on the to do list was to have a tidy up under the bonnet.

First up was to repaint some of the rusting brackets as shown below:

949.jpg

969.jpg

So it was off with them...

968.jpg

993.jpg

And then out with the wire brushes to get rid of as much of the flaky paint as possible, before respraying.

970.jpg

971.jpg

972.jpg

973.jpg

974.jpg

978.jpg

This is what I had chosen to repaint them with, just for the reason that it should hopefully be a lot more durable than normal paint.

975.jpg

First coat...

976.jpg

977.jpg

979.jpg

Now to leave them for 24 hours..

Second coat...

980.jpg

981.jpg

I'm quite happy with this bracket only having the two coats.

982.jpg

However the others needed a third coat of the body seal after being left for another 24 hours.

983.jpg

984.jpg

985.jpg

986.jpg

Now I had to add some padding to this bracket, so it wouldn't rub the plastic below it when back in place.

987.jpg

988.jpg

989.jpg

Time to reinstall the brackets.

990.jpg

991.jpg

992.jpg

994.jpg

995.jpg

John

Last edited:
Great work as always John, I love the attention to detail that you have with your car.

Thanks very much [MENTION=51111]jimmyd81[/MENTION] hopefully the attention to detail is only going to get better over the summer. Keep an eye on my website and on here for updates :wink:

Update 22.04.2015

With the grills having seen better days and the paint chipping off them, it was time they got a bit of attention, so I set to it.

Out of the car they come...

996.jpg

997.jpg

998.jpg

With the grills out of the car it was time for a quick tidy up and then to recover them in all surface primer.

999.jpg

24 hours later it was time to start adding the coats of paint.

1000.jpg

First coat...

1001.jpg

Unfortunately the paint got damaged while drying, so it set me back a bit.

1002.jpg

1002.jpg

But not to worry, I just repainted the damaged areas and left them well out of reach for another 24 hours.

1004.jpg

Now it was time to add a second coat to all of the grills.

1005.jpg

After being left for a further 24 hours I think you'll agree their looking a lot better.

1006.jpg

Although if you look closely you can see the edges from where the paint had peeled on the previous job.

1007.jpg

When I get a bit of time again, I think I'll finely sand the grill and repaint it, as I'm not 100% happy with how it looks.

John

Last edited:
Update 24.04.2015

With the recent spell of good weather I thought it was the perfect opportunity to strip back the pervious coats of polish etc that I had added to the glass on the car and add my recently purchased Orchard Autocare Extreme Hydrophobe.

Time to add a bit of water into the mix, before claying all the glass.

1009.jpg

Clay time...

1013.jpg

Nicely clayed...

1014.jpg

Time for the Hydrophobe.

1016.jpg

1017.jpg

1018.jpg

If left too long the Hydrophobe can be quite stubborn to remove.

1019.jpg

However I did find breathing on the glass and adding a slight mist did help a lot.

1020.jpg

1021.jpg

I know I'll regret saying this but I can't wait for it to rain so I can see how the water sheds from the glass now.

I also took this opportunity to put my freshly painted grills back in place.

1022.jpg

1023.jpg

1024.jpg

John

Last edited:
WOW!

attention to detail is something else! Love it, keep the pics coming mate, great seeing before&after shots :smile:

And your steering wheel looks the nuts!!

WOW!

attention to detail is something else! Love it, keep the pics coming mate, great seeing before&after shots :smile:

And your steering wheel looks the nuts!!

Thanks very much @wallace, there should be a few more updates coming soon :wink:

Yea I'm over the moon with how the steering wheel turned out, its no much nicer to use than the original too.

Last edited:
Update 03.05.2015

For quite some time now I've been thinking about getting the wheels of the R27 refurbished. So with the weather starting to improve I thought now was as good a time as any to get it done.

I set about researching the various options of where I could get it done. Checking out the different places that offer wheel refurbishment within a 30mile radius of where I live I was getting quoted prices from £256 to £408 for all 4 rims. After a bit more research and for handiness I ended up going with A27 Engineering, who are located on the outskirts of Portadown. They quoted me a price of £312 including vat, which was pretty much in the middle of the range I'd been quoted by everyone.

I paid them a visit to discuss exactly what I wanted to make sure there was no confusion.

A week later I left the car with them to have the work carried out.

Before

1027.jpg

1028.jpg

1029.jpg

1030.jpg

1031.jpg

1032.jpg

1033.jpg

1034.jpg

1035.jpg

1036.jpg

1037.jpg

1038.jpg

1039.jpg

I phoned A27 on Thursday as they had asked me to do, to check when would suit for my car to be picked up only to be told that they wouldn't be ready for another day.

However due to other commitments it didn't suit me to pick it up at the next time, when I explained this to A27 they gave me several excuses and basically told me I had a 3 hour window to pick my car up or I would have to do without it for a further 4 days. Of course this has left me with such a bad feeling toward them.

Having cancelled my previous plans I made the trip over to A27 to pick up the car...

After

1041.jpg

1042.jpg

1043.jpg

1044.jpg

1045.jpg

1046.jpg

1047.jpg

1048.jpg

1049.jpg

1050.jpg

1051.jpg

1052.jpg

1053.jpg

1054.jpg

I'm happy with how they've turned out, their definitely an improvement over the original condition of the wheels. But I can't help but think a bit negatively over the who experience of how I was treated by A27. Its almost like they don't value a personal customer anymore.

John

Last edited:
they look ok i guess...the time will show..glad you are happy with the result..but the customer service wasnt right..i would have probably cancelled the order if they treated me this way...

i would have probably cancelled the order if they treated me this way...

Problem was they had the car [MENTION=41063]Pav[/MENTION] and the process was already underway by the time I realised they were messing me about. Don't get me wrong though, the job is first class, its just the customer service which let the whole experience down for me.

They look to have done a good job John, huge improvement. Shame about the service you received though - not what you expect when you're spending hundreds of pounds with a business....

They look to have done a good job John, huge improvement. Shame about the service you received though - not what you expect when you're spending hundreds of pounds with a business....

I think thats part of the reason I felt so let down [MENTION=51111]jimmyd81[/MENTION], its not like they were doing the job for nothing. In my eyes £300 is still a hell of a lot of money.

Update 08.05.2015

While the wheels were away getting refurbished I decided I should take the opportunity to freshen up the locknuts which were starting to show little bits of rust.

1055.jpg

First action was to give them a quick cleanup and get rid of any loose paint using a wire brush.

1061.jpg

Best place I could find to place them ready for the next stage.

1062.jpg

Just one coat of Diall All Surface Primer was applied

1063.jpg

1064.jpg

1065.jpg

1066.jpg

1067.jpg

1068.jpg

Give around 24 hours to dry...

1069.jpg

1070.jpg

1071.jpg

1072.jpg

1073.jpg

Now it was time for the first coat of black paint.

1074.jpg

1075.jpg

1076.jpg

1077.jpg

1078.jpg

This is how they looked after the black paint had been given 24 hours to dry.

1079.jpg

I was happy with them after the first coat, however I decided to add a second just to be sure I'd got everything.

1080.jpg

1081.jpg

1082.jpg

1083.jpg

All complete and now for fitting.

John

Last edited:
Update 10.05.2015

While the car was a way having the wheels done I had done a bit of research into wheel sealants, and decided to purchase some Poorboys Wheel Sealant so that I could give my wheels a bit of protection from break dust and dirt.

1056.jpg

Now that I'd got my freshly painted wheels home it was time to apply the sealant.

First job was to take the wheels off and give them a quick clean.

1084.jpg

It looks like I'm going to have to give the arches a clean at some point, but for now I'm just concentrating on getting the wheels right.

1087.jpg

1085.jpg

1086.jpg

Wheels now cleaned and dried and ready for the next stage.

1088.jpg

Of course being so careful not to make the fresh paint, the wheels were placed on a well padded mat.

1091.jpg

Nice and pink, smells pretty nice too.

1092.jpg

First coat...

1093.jpg

1094.jpg

First coat applied and buffed off the rear of the wheels it was now onto the front.

1095.jpg

1096.jpg

1097.jpg

1098.jpg

1099.jpg

Now it was time to buff the fronts of the wheels and remove the excess sealant.

1100.jpg

Of course the centre caps had to be done too...

1101.jpg

1102.jpg

Time for the second coat to be applied.

1103.jpg

1104.jpg

Wheel complete and looking great.

1105.jpg

1106.jpg

1107.jpg

1108.jpg

Centre cap back in its place.

1109.jpg

The same process was carried out for the other three wheels and took the most of the afternoon to complete.

Now to get them all back onto the car.

1110.jpg

I'm just left undecided about what to do with the wheel nuts. Do I buy black wheel nuts to match the lock nuts, paint the existing nuts or do I risk putting the caps back on?

1111.jpg

I'm sure you'll agree the car is starting to look great.

1112.jpg

With this being the first time I've used wheel sealant, it'll be interesting to see if I feel it makes any difference.

John
SaveSave

Last edited: