Albi R27 452/500 (UPDATE - 19.02.2017 - The end)

Good idea John, and yet another example of that attention to detail (or should I say OCD :wink: )

One of the best cars on here :smile:

Thanks very much [MENTION=51111]jimmyd81[/MENTION], the cars been getting quite a lot of bits done to it lately, but today finally got a bit of love and care with a wash, polish and wax. Writeup coning soon :wink:

Really like what you're doing with this! Just checked my MAP sensor and it has a lot of movement so I will definitely be adding some cable ties to that! @Jmax

Thanks again [MENTION=51033]matthewson[/MENTION], I have gone a bit over board with some of the things I've done to it, but I just can't get enough of the car lol. As for the MAP sensor, a few guys have said that the problem of the kangarooing will slowly reappear, but not as bad as it was at first.

Update 24.05.2015

With my attention turning to the finer details of the car I decided it was a great time to tidy up the brake calipers and touch in some of the chipped paint.

1159.jpg

1160.jpg

1161.jpg

1162.jpg

1163.jpg

1164.jpg

Time for a quick scrub getting into ever nook and cranny with a stiff toothbrush.

1165.jpg

1166.jpg

1167.jpg

1168.jpg

1169.jpg

1170.jpg

1171.jpg

The rear calipers definitely need a lot of attention.

1178.jpg

1179.jpg

1180.jpg

1181.jpg

Having cleaned the brake calipers and identified all the bit that needed retouched, it was time to pull out my trusty touchup paint.

1158.jpg

And set to work...

1173.jpg

1174.jpg

1175.jpg

1176.jpg

1196.jpg

1197.jpg

1198.jpg

1199.jpg

1200.jpg

Their all looking a lot better now, I just need to tidy up the Brembo logos on the front calipers when I get some suitable black paint and I'll be a lot happier.

Over the past week or so I've noticed the passenger side door sticking a lot. When I unlock the car everything seems to unlock apart from the passenger door.

I'm a bit worried it might be a problem with the lock, but the confusing part is if I get into the car and then open the passenger door from the inside its not an issue.

I have a feeling it might just be that the lock is sticking, so its on with a bit of grease to see if it helps things.

1177.jpg

I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.

As always, comments or tips are welcome.

John

Last edited:
Update 26.05.2015

A few days ago I purchased the after market Renault Sport front splitter and seeing as it was such a nice day today I thought why not get out into the sun and fit it.

1147.jpg

1148.jpg

The tools ready for the job (yes, there is a drill in there).

1149.jpg

This was by far the hardest part of removing the stock splitter, it took a lot of effort to get it removed.

1153.jpg

1154.jpg

I was so hesitant about doing this, because I knew when the holes were drilled that I would have passed the point of no return...

1155.jpg

Ahhhhhh, what have I done?

1156.jpg

A lot happier now :smile:

1157.jpg

1172.jpg

Even happier now, as I think it really completes the front end of the car.

1184.jpg

1185.jpg

1186.jpg

As always, comments are welcome.

John

Last edited:
Looks great!

Heart in mouth whilst drilling them holes id day :tongueout:

Thanks very much [MENTION=29138]Chris91[/MENTION]. Heart in mouth is an understatement, it was something I never thought I'd do to any car lol, but its been worth it.

Amazing what a massive difference just one item can make...

Yea, I wasn't always sure about the splitter when I saw it on other cars [MENTION=4553]shubz197[/MENTION], but love it now I have one lol.

nice job there..looking much better..:thumbup1: whats next to tackle??

Thanks very much @Pav. Theres loads I still want to do, although the splitter is making me think seriously about adding the side skirts too.

I bought my 197 with a splitter already fitted... So seeing one without a splitter used to look a bit naked at first... But then again there's always simo!

haha..thats right..would look good with the side skirts on..keep it going..nice work there..

I bought my 197 with a splitter already fitted... So seeing one without a splitter used to look a bit naked at first... But then again there's always simo!

simo?? [MENTION=4553]shubz197[/MENTION]??

haha..thats right..would look good with the side skirts on..keep it going..nice work there..

We'll see what happens [MENTION=41063]Pav[/MENTION], I know their stupid money to buy and I'm not 100% sure I like the look of them.....yet :wink:

Update 30.05.2015

After the nightmare dealings with the Autoglass call center and three weeks of waiting the day has arrived...

With the right screen now available for the car work started as soon as Devon the fitter arrived.

1213.jpg

What a beautiful day for fitting a new screen.

1214.jpg

It was at this point the typical Northern Irish weather struck and decided to unleash a massive hailstorm on us. So work was delayed as we maneuvered the car under the awning.

1215.jpg

Back to work.

1216.jpg

Old screen out.

1217.jpg

1218.jpg

On with the sealant.

1219.jpg

New screen prepped and ready to be fitted.

1220.jpg

1221.jpg

Hard at work...

1223.jpg

1224.jpg

Back as good as new, just needs a few hours to dry.

1225.jpg

Devon was kind enough to put the new mirror in place for me. I'd rather he used the hammer to coax it into place than me and risk another £75.

1226.jpg

Finally the screen is fitted and in the end I couldn't fault Devon and how he fitted the screen, my problem lies fair and square at the feet of Autoglass and how they really didn't seem to care about me as a customer.

John

Last edited:
Update 31.05.2015

With Devon having fitted the new mirror for me while he was replacing the windscreen, all that was left to do was to connect up the wiring.

1226.jpg

Just need to tape if off now, so I don't get any shorts.

1227.jpg

All back in place and good to go.

1228.jpg

John

Last edited:
Update 02.05.2015

After fitting the front splitter to the Clio I decided something just didn't look right with how the car was sitting.

I started into the research looking at pictures of other 197s and at the start I saw an image on Instagram of a 197 sitting what I felt was perfectly, it had 15mm spacers on the front and 20mm on the rear. I did a bit of research via Clio197.net to see what everyone thought of this idea, only to be told that I really shouldn't stagger the spacers. I was told be a fellow forum member that the old cup race cars used to fit 5mm spacers up front to give extra track over the rear, so that really put me off the idea of staggering the rears more than the front anyway. The most common option seemed to be to run 20mm spacers all around with a select few option for the slightly wider 25mm. Again after some research I found that the downside of running 25mm is that your splatter your rear quarter with stones.

I was pricing spacers everywhere I could find them, from Gumtree to Renault tuners in France. In the end I stumbled across a set of second had 20mm spacers for sale on Clio197.net. The person selling the spacers had bought them, painted the edges black and then fitted them to the car, however before he even took the car out on the road, he decided he didn't like the look of the stance. I felt these were just what I was after as they were pretty much brand new.

A couple of days after the purchase they arrived, accompanied by some extended bolts...

1243.jpg

1244.jpg

Before

1237.jpg

1238.jpg

1239.jpg

1240.jpg

1241.jpg

1242.jpg

After

1339.jpg

1340.jpg

1341.jpg

1342.jpg

1343.jpg

1344.jpg

1337.jpg

1338.jpg

Fitting of the spacers probably took me the guts of an hour as it was a bit fiddly at times getting the holes lined up, but I got there in the end.

1345.jpg

I'm sure you'll agree the car is sitting a lot better now. The only thing that now tempts me is, should I lower it?

You might remember a few weeks ago I treated myself, well the car to these...

1121.jpg

Well I felt now I'd fitted the spacers and the cars really starting to take shape, that now was as good a time as any to fit them.

Before

1211.jpg

After

1212.jpg

John
SaveSave

Last edited:
I love the stance of 20mm spacers but the potential for the side of the car being stone chipped really puts me off actually getting any! A couple of your pics show perfectly how the front wheels now stick out slightly and are perfectly lined up to throw stones and muck down the sides of the car.

attachment.php

It might actually be worth seeing if you can get some of that clear plastic protective stuff on the side skirts?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 290
looking better and better...dont forget that after you have fitted the spacers you will get the side of your car dirty more..maybe getting some mud flaps would be a good idea...
nice work as always mate :clap: