Albi R27 452/500 (UPDATE - 19.02.2017 - The end)

lol thanks [MENTION=4553]shubz197[/MENTION], theres so much more I would love to clean in a lot finer detail on the car, it just finding the time and having the patience to do it all is the problem at the moment.

Time is a scarce commodity my side... Have a full plate at the moment. 9-5 job, my own business, a 1yo daughter, plus studying my honours in crooking the books... My car is too far down the priority list for my liking...

Time is a scarce commodity my side... Have a full plate at the moment. 9-5 job, my own business, a 1yo daughter, plus studying my honours in crooking the books... My car is too far down the priority list for my liking...

lol yea it sounds it, but then you just need to take a bit of time to yourself and get away from all of the above. It'll probably help to make you more productive at them at the same time.

[MENTION=5499]Jmax[/MENTION] How are you finding your new brake set-up? Are you pleased with it?

@Jmax How are you finding your new brake set-up? Are you pleased with it?

Over the moon with it [MENTION=51111]jimmyd81[/MENTION], I was never over confident with the standard setup but with this I'm more than happy to stand hard on the brakes.

Thanks John. I'm giving this upgrade some serious thought as it seems very good value for money, so I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks John. I'm giving this upgrade some serious thought as it seems very good value for money, so I appreciate your feedback.

Honestly [MENTION=51111]jimmyd81[/MENTION], I would say its without doubt one of the best mods I've done to the car. You really wouldn't be disappointed and as you say that that expensive to do.

Update 17.09.2014

It’s been a while since my last update so this will be a bit of a long one, so I apologize in advance.

At the start of August I decided to treat myself to what can only be described as a scuba tank lol. Its actually for water filtration, so its good bye water spots.

773.jpg

Moving on a couple of weeks my steering wheel was continuing to get worse with melting and peeling as you can see below.

774.jpg

775.jpg

776.jpg

777.jpg

So I decided it had to come off and be either retrimmed.

First on the must do list was disconnecting the battery as I didn’t want to risk the airbag going off when I was working at releasing the wheel. (make sure the steering wheel is already in an upside down position before you disconnect the battery).

778.jpg

Next I located this small hole on the back other steering wheel. This is where you insert the screw driver to release the airbag.

779.jpg

When you’ve turned the wheel upside down and have inserted a screwdriver to dry and release the airbag, this is the small bar your aiming to press down.

780.jpg

It can be pretty frustrating trying to get it off, but if you take your time you will get there.

Then simply pull the airbag down and out away from the steering wheel. I say simply but it might take a wee bit of persuasion.

781.jpg

Be careful not to pull too far though as there are clips in either side of the airbag.

782.jpg

783.jpg

To release these simply pull the yellow tabs outwards.

784.jpg

Then it was pretty straight forward from here, I just unbolted and removed the wheel.

785.jpg

786.jpg

Thankfully this parcel has already arrived the morning I was removing the wheel.

787.jpg

788.jpg

My newly trimmed wheel supplied by Jack at Royal Steering Wheels. I had ordered the steering wheel with as close to an oem look as I could. It took about a week for Jack to trim the wheel (which he already had in stock) and get it sent over to me on their exchange option. This means they send the new re-covered steering wheel first and you have 10 days to swap the steering wheels over and send your same type steering wheel back to them, to minimize the time you car is off the road.

789.jpg

As you can see on the pictures below Jacks work is outstanding and of a better quality than the standard wheel.

790.jpg

791.jpg

792.jpg

793.jpg

New vs. Old

794.jpg

It was time to get the new wheel fitted.

795.jpg

796.jpg

I think you’ll agree the wheel looks right at home. The wheel is slightly thicker to hold than the original wheel and the leather is of a far higher quality. Lets just hope it doesn’t suffer the same way the original wheels do, but I guess time will tell.

797.jpg

798.jpg

799.jpg

800.jpg

When speaking to Jack about returning the original wheel to him I had asked if I could also send him my gear knob and gaiter to be retrimmed to match the steering wheel.

So first it was off with the knob.

801.jpg

802.jpg

Then the gaiter.

803.jpg

804.jpg

805.jpg

806.jpg

807.jpg

SaveSave

Last edited:
808.jpg

With the knob and gaiter now off I knew it would be about a week before they would be back with me.

Unfortunately about an hour after I had posted them I received an email from Jack informing me that he would be away on two weeks holiday, so my wheel without the knob was now looking more like a month.

This didn’t stop me giving the car its usual tlc.

809.jpg

I know this is a bit of a long shot, but does anyone know if these stickers at the front of the engine bay can be reordered from Renault? As mine are slowly starting to peel off.

810.jpg

The noise maker lol.

811.jpg

812.jpg

813.jpg

With the great spell of good weather we’ve been having I decided it was the perfect time to clear out my scuttle drains, as I hadn’t done them since I got the car.

814.jpg

815.jpg

816.jpg

817.jpg

818.jpg

819.jpg

820.jpg

821.jpg

822.jpg

823.jpg

824.jpg

825.jpg

826.jpg

827.jpg

828.jpg

829.jpg

830.jpg

Everything now back the way it should be.

831.jpg

With the scuttle drains now cleaned I moved the car over to the garage to do my next bit of work.

832.jpg

833.jpg

834.jpg

Another of my spare of the moment purchases, some yellow lamin-x. I don’t know why but I had recently gotten a real notion do change my fog lights to yellow.

835.jpg

836.jpg

Thankfully I didn’t have to remove the bumper to apply it.

I think it looks great, and I suppose the bonus is that if I get bored of it I can simply peel it off.

837.jpg

I’ve been playing about with the car recently over a few nice stretches of road to see how high I can get the average mpg.

838.jpg

Yea that’s right it reads 46.2mpg. I did actually have it showing 51mpg but I was unable to photograph it before it started dropping, but if you watch this space I’m sure I’ll be back there soon enough.

Yea I know, I shouldn’t be trying to get a high mpg in a car like the Clio, but it keeps me entertained.

Then yesterday morning my gear knob and gaiter finally arrived back from Royal Steering Wheels.

839.jpg

Upon first inspection the gear knob was trimmed perfectly, again like the steering wheel its slightly thicker than the standard one. I guess this is because he trims over the original material instead of removing it.

840.jpg

The gaiter I was less happy with as I had requested that it be fixed back into the silver surround the way the original one had. However Jack had tried to glue it back in place, but this didn’t work so he the tried to staple it in place using staples that weren’t up to the job.

Thankfully I had staples that I knew were bit longer in the legs, so they would hopefully be able to fit in where the original ones had been removed. So after about an hour trying to get everything back in place I was able to try and place the gaiter back into the car.

At this point I met another problem, Jack hadn’t let a large enough hole at the top of the gaiter to fit back over the plastic shaft. This was easily solved however and I simply picked away the first couple of stitched to make the hole large enough.

841.jpg

842.jpg

Last edited:
843.jpg

With everything now back in place I think it looks better than ever.

844.jpg

And time for enough quick clean.

845.jpg

846.jpg

As always, comments are welcome.

John

Last edited:
Coming along great :smile:.

Message me with your original reg (guess your plate is cherish transfer) or chassis and I will find out in work about the stickers.

Coming along great :smile:.

Message me with your original reg (guess your plate is cherish transfer) or chassis and I will find out in work about the stickers.

Thanks very much [MENTION=3002]-Eddie-[/MENTION] and you've got mail :smile:

Update 09.03.2015

I know it’s been quite a while since my last update, so I’ll apologize in advance for this being such a long one.

I decided to treat the car to a sprint booster.

847.jpg

848.jpg

I’m glad I did as even though I always run it in the green mode I feel it’s made the pedal a lot sharper.

Next up was the cars yearly service.

849.jpg

850.jpg

851.jpg

852.jpg

Run on the best :wink:

853.jpg

854.jpg

855.jpg

Some new shoes for the winter.

857.jpg

Goodyear Eagle F1’s

858.jpg

859.jpg

And two more to take home until te next time it needs a change.

856.jpg

Next up was the MOT

860.jpg

861.jpg

Which I’m happy to say it passed with flying colours.

862.jpg

Home for a wee clean.

863.jpg

864.jpg

865.jpg

866.jpg

First real freeze of the winter.

867.jpg

868.jpg

Which gave me the chance to get some lovely ice pictures.

869.jpg

870.jpg

Spotless again…

871.jpg

The next big purchase was from Eddie who was selling his K-Tec Pro Performance Exhaust as he’d upgraded to a Akrapovic.

872.jpg

873.jpg

874.jpg

875.jpg

876.jpg

877.jpg

Of course the OCD in me had to start cleaning it, even though I know no one will see it when its hidden away on the car.

878.jpg

879.jpg

There were also quite a lot of tar spots on the exhaust which surprised me a bit, but these were easily taken care of.

880.jpg

Last edited:
881.jpg

882.jpg

883.jpg

Its slowly starting to take shape.

884.jpg

885.jpg

Next up was to polish the exhaust tips.

886.jpg

887.jpg

888.jpg

889.jpg

890.jpg

891.jpg

892.jpg

893.jpg

894.jpg

Looking a lot better now, but still not perfect.

895.jpg

896.jpg

897.jpg

898.jpg

899.jpg

900.jpg

901.jpg

902.jpg

Finished, ready to be fitted.

903.jpg

Unfortunately fitting the exhaust got delayed due to the damn snow.

904.jpg

905.jpg

Packed and ready to go.

906.jpg

907.jpg

Still freezing hard outside, on the plus side the car does love the cold air.

908.jpg

The exhaust that came off the car.

909.jpg

910.jpg

911.jpg

The difference in weight was shocking.

Another purchase, this time Wheel Woolies to help with the cleaning.

912.jpg

I think they are the best wheel brush I’ve had to date as they have no problems reaching all the way to the back of the rims. The only issue I find is they can’t squeeze between the brake caliper and the rim. It’ll also be very interesting to see how long they last.

913.jpg

914.jpg

Last edited:
915.jpg

916.jpg

Yet more bloody snow and another drop in temperature to go with it.

917.jpg

918.jpg

919.jpg

Even though its still cold out, I decided to give the interior and engine bay a bit of attention as they’d had a hard winter.

920.jpg

921.jpg

922.jpg

923.jpg

924.jpg

925.jpg

926.jpg

Has anyone else’s K-Tec Induction kit done this?

927.jpg

Next up was my latest mod, a remap at Torquetronix.

Can’t wait to see how the car feels after it. I know there wont be massive power gains due to the lack of a turbo, but hopefully it’ll help iron out the flat spot caused by the exhaust and make the car a bit better all round.

928.jpg

929.jpg

930.jpg

Not a bad return pre map. Davy was very impressed; his exact words were “she’s a fit wee b1tch” which made me smile.

931.jpg

Now onto the business end of things and make gains.

932.jpg

933.jpg

934.jpg

935.jpg

I’m over the moon with how the car is going now, I would have love the car to have made 202bhp to fit in with the number plate but at least the car can finally be called a proper Clio 197.

rrdata.jpg

Stopped off for a wee top up of super on my way home.

936.jpg

And one final note, when I was bored over the winter I managed to get the car showing this…

937.jpg

Yes I know what your thinking… (Damn he must have been bored)

As always, comments are welcome.

John

Last edited:
Cars looking great!

Im thinking of wheel woolies to clean the new wheels, but they are quite expensive...

Cars looking great!

Im thinking of wheel woolies to clean the new wheels, but they are quite expensive...

Thanks very much.

Yea their not cheep but in my opinion their worth the extra money. Can reach all the way to the back of the wheel with no effort, seem pretty robust.

I guess only time will tell if they last of not.