197cup 28.08.10

Didn't expect that mate! Were they both from the same rollers?

Yeah mate just different days and the first run was much cooler.

christ your car made good standard power!! did u spank it from new lol? think a re map will sort it, im gonna match my inlets at jamsport then re map from tdf to iron it all out.

Done it's first trackday at 700miles, oil change at 1000miles.

1-2 trackdays/nights a month since then. You could say it's had a hard life having only done 11k and 5k of them have been on my track wheels :lol:

It seems to have done it no harm though and has never missed a beat :thumbup:

Is there no other way to get a cold air feed in to this ?

Sorry about results btw mark I'm sure with a decent air feed and a remap youllsee 200

I was thinking of removing the front half of the arch liner or putting the airbox on it's side so it points down the hole to the wheel arch.

Been speaking to Matt about this and he tells me the R3 box was designed to retrict power anyway. Most prob to ensure that all cars run the same power?

Ah 8) thats good to know mate, take it 230bhp must be it's limit then and 250bhp for the rammer one Simox has.

I'd like to go past Matt's place for a re-map when I'm down at Silverstone. Mainly from the praise you've given him.

surely its cus the air temp on the second run was higher?

Yeah John said the Dyno cant compensate for air temperature only the air density (the correction factor changes)

So + or - a 3-4bhp difference is normal.

The first day I was there the density was perfect !

I bet it's a nightmare to fit though . :-( and would probally throw up error codes on dash right ?

I bet it's a nightmare to fit though . :-( and would probally throw up error codes on dash right ?

I think you need to drop the front subframe. I doubt error codes will come up with this exhaust mod alone. Doesn't happen with a de-cat.

What are the gains ?

Would this then be run with a complete standard system there after ?

I think you need to drop the front subframe. I doubt error codes will come up with this exhaust mod alone. Doesn't happen with a de-cat.

Imho I think this is really odd. Almost everyone who has decated their Clio has a flatspot and the power is a bit down compared to stock. I'd imagine that's because the Clio has an O2 sensor before and after the cat and by eliminating the cat the EMS can't really cope with that. Better said, I doesn't know what to do because there is no code how to act in a situation like this. A mate here in Slovenia eliminated his precats on an Arese V6 engine and instantly there was a dashlight on telling him something isn't right. Dunno why the Clio doesn't show that cause clearly the EMS can't run the engine to it's potencial (stock setup with poor fuel etc. in mind) if it doesn't have all the sensor data it needs to control the engine.

Just my 2 cents lol been thinking of a decat but I really like the power of my Clio like it is. Ou....there is a solution for the "decat dilemma" (nice choice of words eh? :lol:smile: - remap if the EMS allows such a setup.

@mark_1873 - I wouldn't be so concerned about the lower power reading. For every 10°C higher the air density is about 4% lower (approximately) so that probably caused the lower power delivery that day.

There is only so much air you can get into an engine and exhaust out, so without going down the turbo or supercharger route you will have to change the throtle bodies and cams for real gains.
Renault spent a lot of time and money on this engine and I have tried many exhaust /intake combinations all for little gain over the standard Renault items..
And for those looking for much higher top speeds gearing would need changing.

Last edited:
There is only so much air you can get into an engine and exhaust out, so without going down the turbo or supercharger route you will have to change the throtle bodies and cams for real gains.
Renault spent a lot of time and money on this engine and I have tried many exhaust /intake combinations all for little gain over the standard Renault items..
And for those looking for much higher top speeds gearing would need changing.

Nice one.

What 'combination' of the changes you made gave you the best gains ?

The problem with large air boxes is the air pulses are out of tune IE slower than the original ,so while you may feel a bit more flexabillity or even bottom end power gain you will loose top end .Pendulum chambers and inlet manifolds all come into play to get the most efficient burn.
The air temp on the dyno run should have been ok as the cars ECU should deal with it and they should have factored it in for the Dyno if not.
In the early '70's we managed to get 93bhp from a 54 bhp engine (MGB) but the intake mainifold tubes we made ended up 32" long.Loads of other mods such as distributor carbs etc.
We teach a lot about induction here but its a very big subject and not fully understood how much time money and effort goes into it .
My car is totally standard ,after spending thousands on my first 197 for not great gains .
If I do anything to this one It could be brakes ,Chassis then maybe a turbo.

Last edited:
The problem with large air boxes is the air pulses are out of tune IE slower than the original ,so while you may feel a bit more flexabillity or even bottom end power gain you will loose top end .Pendulum chambers and inlet manifolds all come into play to get the most efficient burn.
The air temp on the dyno run should have been ok as the cars ECU should deal with it and they should have factored it in for the Dyno if not.
In the early '70's we managed to get 93bhp from a 54 bhp engine (MGB) but the intake mainifold tubes we made ended up 32" long.Loads of other mods such as distributor carbs etc.
We teach a lot about induction here but its a very big subject and not fully understood how much time money and effort goes into it .
My car is totally standard ,after spending thousands on my first 197 for not great gains .
If I do anything to this one It could be brakes ,Chassis then maybe a turbo.

I've done the brakes and my new suspension should be here by the end of the week :wink:

What did you do to your first 197 that gave you the best gains. I only opted for this because it was 'tried and tested' if you like on both Raptors and Simox cars

However I'm not going down the route of keeping the car NA this is just to tide me over.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
knuckles Spotted 1
evilerik Clio General Chat 1
D Spotted 1
Roy General Chat 4
voinea New Members 25