Platinum Member
Following this thread.

Picked her up last night!

7285263912_bd6ed64393_z.png
Clio 172 Cup by Tom Cash, on Flickr

7285263588_5ece8b3c19_z.png
Clio 172 Cup by Tom Cash, on Flickr

She's borderline a minter!

Did a full HPI check, no write offs, no finance or anything else worth worrying about.

December 2003 registered, 59k, full service history, belts done, MOT, TAX, etc.

The bodywork has the mandatory scratches and imperfections, but nothing £100-£200 and a dent removal guy couldn't fix!

The inside is in great condition too.

After a 2 hour drive home with the windows down and up, there wasn't any knocking, squeaking, grinding - nothing. I would almost say, it's less faulty than my 197!

Once back in Wolverhampton me and Chris (in his 182) went for a blast down some smaller A roads and there was no issues at all. Handles well, brakes well and had no issues keeping up with the 182. Even destroyed a Fiesta ST that fancied its chances - just like you'd expect.

It's awesome! Love it through and through and I can't wait to begin work on it.

The plan is roughly as follows:

Stage 1: Restoration
- Remove stickers
- Give a really good clean
- Maybe debadge
- Wet sand lights
- Satin black grilles
- 172 stickers back on door pillars
- Take it to a garage to get a once over and address any issues there.
- Restore exterior paintwork/dents.
- Get wheels refurbished in silver with Mondial blue diamonds.
- Get it detailed.

Stage 2: Performance mods
- New tyres (not sure what, yet)
- Bilstein coilovers
- Piper or Yozza Stealth
- Filter and remap
- Maybe an ARB

Stage 3: Stripping/Track Prep
- Remove most of the interior parts without function, bar the dash
- Bucket seats (unsure as to whether to get fixed or not)
- Racing wheel (already purchased a Sabelt one)
- Cage and harnesses
- Interior respray

There's no doubt a few things I've not thought about there, but I will when it comes. That's just a rough outline. :smile:

Watch this space!

Last edited:
Nice one Tom will watch for your updates
You got a time scale or just going to take your time???

WOOHOO :clap::clap::clap:

Nice one mate. Chuffed for you.

What's this 'keeping up with a 182' - 172 cup is a quicker car and almost certainly better in the bends :tongue_smilie:

I look forward to your progress thread.

Pitty - I had some spare pillar badges sat around for ages but sold them. They are quite pricey from Renault as I recall.

Also, when you say ARB (anti roll bar) I assume you mean a strut brace as you will deffo have an ARB lol :oops:

Remember only an IM away if you need anything.

Cheers fellas!

Nice one Tom will watch for your updates
You got a time scale or just going to take your time???
I'm going to take my time mate, because my missus isn't too pleased about it lol. She just about agreed to me buying the 197 and now I've bought this with our trip to Barcelona right around the corner lol. It's all good - she just resents my impulsive nature lol.

What's this 'keeping up with a 182' - 172 cup is a quicker car and almost certainly better in the bends :tongue_smilie:

Also, when you say ARB (anti roll bar) I assume you mean a strut brace as you will deffo have an ARB lol :oops:

Remember only an IM away if you need anything.
Cheers man - I was gonna ask about your dent guy, actually. :smiley:

I guess I was a little nervy driving the 172 'cause it was my first time out.... :mellow:

As for ARB - what Mike said. Less rear body roll please - it felt wishy-washy in the rear through corners at speed, yesterday.

Think he means a white line ARB, love it in my 182, best mod!

Cheers fellas!

As for ARB - what Mike said. Less rear body roll please - it felt wishy-washy in the rear through corners at speed, yesterday.

lol - my mistake then.

I had an issue with the back end feeling a bit sloppy/bouncy at high speed. No noises - just didn't feel tight... stripped it down and found the one rear shock was fcked to hell. Replaced with another bilstein and all was good :smile:

Awesome car.

How much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking?

I assume all funds will now be focused on this now as opposed to the 197?

What are your first impressions compared to your 197? I've been thinking about trading in for a 182...
First impressions were so good - I bought one! I drove a 172 cup at curborough and fell in love. I made a thread about it lol.

Awesome car.

How much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking?

I assume all funds will now be focused on this now as opposed to the 197?
Cheers man, I paid £2400. I think I paid about what it was worth.

Yup - 197 wil be my daily and I'll keep the 172 as a hobby car and put money into that.

That looks great. I wouldn't touch it, just keep it like that, looks fab. Want to sell it? I'll give you £2.5k for it? Lol!

Cheers fellas!

I'm going to take my time mate, because my missus isn't too pleased about it lol. She just about agreed to me buying the 197 and now I've bought this with our trip to Barcelona right around the corner lol. It's all good - she just resents my impulsive nature lol.

Cheers man - I was gonna ask about your dent guy, actually. :smiley:

I guess I was a little nervy driving the 172 'cause it was my first time out.... :mellow:

The white line really sorts it mate, if you were closer I'd chuck u my keys, the rear is planted! And when it does kick out it doesn't make u crap your pants, u can just almost take your time when u wanna reign it back in lol! Feels more like a 197 with this on! Cheap and instantly noticeable how effective it is! Doesn't feel nervous or squirmy.

That looks great. I wouldn't touch it, just keep it like that, looks fab. Want to sell it? I'll give you £2.5k for it? Lol!
Cheers man, lol, fastest £100 on a car ever.

looks mint that!
Cheers! :smile:

The white line really sorts it mate, if you were closer I'd chuck u my keys, the rear is planted! And when it does kick out it doesn't make u crap your pants, u can just almost take your time when u wanna reign it back in lol! Feels more like a 197 with this on! Cheap and instantly noticeable how effective it is! Doesn't feel nervous or squirmy.
You on commission? lol... I'll add it to my list. Thanks for the advice fella. :smiley: