06 Albi Blue 197

Headed down to the garage this morning, planned on doing an oil & filter, and finally getting around to fitting my APD inlet manifold. Also wanted to remove a redundant resonator.

Firstly I had quite a job getting out of my road, due to the light dusting of snow overnight.

Cutting to the chase, my car is still there, only two things went wrong, but one of them is more expensive that I had expected!

1. Trying to remove the MAP sensor from the original inlet, I managed to snap off the flange, which was rather annoying, especially as a new MAP sensor is around £90! Should have one for Tuesday though, so fingers crossed.

2. Removing the under tray, I managed to shear off one of the rear bolts, very annoying, but not unheard of at this time of year.

In addition, due to the 4mm PTFE inlet mani gasket, one of the mounting bolts couldn't be refitted, which was also annoying.

Anyhow, crucially the inlets are now fitted, oil is changed, just want to drive the damn thing!

With luck it should be taken care of by Christmas, I am just somewhat cross with myself about the sensor.

Given that I am still considering getting my upper inlet powder coated, if anyone has any suggestion as to how to remove the MAP sensor in future without breaking it, I would be delighted to hear from you!

hey just read the whole thread from the start, seams you have be busy, and looks like your hard work and time to make your clio stand out have payed off,

the car looks great. and the wheels look the dogs danglers, still undecied on black or the grey for mine thought. those spark plugs looked on there last legs, bet u realy felt the difrence with new ones.

well done with the car and top thread!

Cheers, I have said it many times, but I do like this car.

RE: the wheels, I am actually considering going back to silver, not sure though, might wait until I need some new rubber.

Just ordered some new pencil coils, reading about them they are only designed to have a 60k miles life, so despite mine seeming fine, they are about due for replacement. Will keep the old ones as spares though, just in case.

Just picked the car up after nearly a week in a 10yr old 1.6 Focus. In this weather I almost miss the Focus, longer wheelbase, budget tyres that did much better in slippery conditions than my Conti's, ride is softer, seats are wider, 40mpg... I must be getting old!

Anyhow, once onto some better roads, I was very pleased to be back in my car, especially when I got chance to open the taps!

Once home I fitted new Valeo pencil coils, and am looking forward to see how the car drives, with a view to getting it back on an RR in the new year.

The car got a wash late last week, and hasn't really been driven since, so was still presentable enough for a couple of pics, nothing particularly new, aside from the inlet manifold and new ignition coils, neither of which are especially photogenic, I have finally got around to fitting Jase's s/s inlet pipe and the silicone hose to join it up.

I also re-jigged the wiring the phone kit, took out the drivers lower dash and glovebox, tidied things up a bit and solved a loose connection.

2011-01-05015a.jpg

2011-01-05002a.jpg

2011-01-05007a.jpg

2011-01-05008.jpg

Last edited:
Really do love this car. All the work thats gone into it, and done by yourself. Really is excellent.

Updated Spec List January 2011
  • APD matched inlet manifold
  • APD 4mm PTFE inlet manifold gasket
  • ITG panel filter
  • Silicone induction hoses
  • AP Racing front bells & rotors
  • Stainless steel slash cut exhaust tips
  • Alcantara trimmed steering wheel
  • Parrot MKi9200 phone & iPod kit
  • Brodit Blackberry & Satnav mounts
  • Auto-dim rear view mirror
  • Sunglasses holder
  • Anthracite 12-spoke "Raider" style wheels with ContiSport 3 tyres
  • Gloss black Speedline wheels with Toyo R888 tyres
  • Luggage compartment net
  • Plush luggage compartment mat
  • Full size spare wheel

To Do list January 2011
  • Replace front carpet section
  • Replace rear discs & pads
  • Fit 197 Cup suspension
  • Fit red brake calipers
  • Fit Bosch ParkPilot front and rear parking sensors
  • Clean front seatbelts
  • Adjust drivers door alignment
  • Powdercoat upper inlet manifold

The thought had crossed my mind! Doesn't seem to drive any different though TBH, I was a touch paranoid when I first struck it up as it sounded slightly lumpy, but then it hadn't been driven for 24hrs, and parked outside the engine was quite cold. A quick run out in it confirmed that it seems to be driving perfectly well, but not noticeably different.

try runing some fuel addative to clean the system out, i started mine early and add some to mine every few thousand miles

Not too bad really, carpet will hopefully be done this weekend, brakes & suspension over the next few weeks, the other bits aren't especially urgent but should be done over the next couple of months.

Don't forget in addition to the mods at the top of the page, I have also done a lot of maintenance work over the past seven months, so this should be realistic.

You have a big list of things to do, but you seem to get things done quickly. Man on a mission! Lol! Look forward to seeing the rest of the updates soon.

Whats wrong with the front bit of carpet? Mine has a hole in it caused by the previous owners that I just couldn't get renault to repair under warranty, they offered to pay half the cost of having new carpet fitted which they reckoned was going to cost £650 ish!

Would be interested to know how much effort it is to replace and how much it cost you for a replacement

Split behind the heel pad.

I bought my new one used, along with some other bits, so that doesn't really help you, but swapping over should be pretty straightforward, Cabasse, seats, centre console out, swap and refit. I reckon two hours start to finish, possibly less - famous last words! Wish me luck!