06 Albi Blue 197

I reakon that looks good too. You going to get a new Renault badge, or is it just the light in the pic that makes it look a bit damaged?

Cheers guys, the badge is slightly oxidised, but unfortunately you can't get them separately.

Probably a couple of weeks before I get it back. I expect the car will be getting fettled over the next week or so, then I plan on removing the front bumper and taking it, along with the new rear bumper to get paint the following week.

What is interesting is that a new rear bumper shell is much cheaper than I had expected, new shell and new mounting bracket were under £180. The old bumper isn't badly damaged but the guy at the bodyshop was concerned that it would need some work to make it fit properly, meaning that using a new bumper is probably cheaper than the rework needed on many of the damaged used bumpers knocking about.

Last edited:
Went down to the garage to do some work on the car yesterday, removed front bumper and stripped it down (grills, fogs, washers, no. plate, badge, rubber lip), removed diffuser and rear bumper, so the front and rear bumpers are now ready for paint.

While I was there I swapped my puncture repaired wheel back with my spare, switched the front wheels around as the TPMS had them the other way around, fitted the powder coated manifold and fitted the anthracite dash trims.

Before I started taking it to bits, I took it for a quick spin to try the Cup suspension, certainly seems firmer, but to be fair the car was very cold and I have been in a 160k 1.6 Focus for the last two weeks. Red calipers look much better behind the anthracite wheels.

So, jobs done;

Fitted anthracite powder coated matched upper inlet (lower inlet already fitted)
Fitted anthracite dash trims & vents
Fitted 197 cup suspension
Fitted 197 cup calipers
Replaced rear discs & pads

Jobs to do;

Fit replacement track rods
Fit repainted front and rear bumpers
Adjust front drivers door (still haven't got around to this, looks like it is necessary to remove the wing and I am a bit of a wimp)
Get alignment checked after new track rods

Think that is about it!

Much as I am enjoying running around in a softer, more economical car (I am a huge fan of the Focus, despite never having owned one), that seems happy to pull from cold, I am starting to miss my Clio, partly down to the convenience aspects (comfort access, iPod integration, auto lights & wipers, etc.), and partly down to the fact that it feels that bit more special whenever you drive it.

160k focus! Nice! Not! Is it a courtesy car? Your car is the best treated Clio in the world I think! Getting all these new shinny parts! Top work.

This thread at some points reads as a total restoration project. Love it.

Its the 200 Cup suspension you had fitted?

160k focus! Nice! Not! Is it a courtesy car? Your car is the best treated Clio in the world I think! Getting all these new shinny parts! Top work.

Cheers, they are actually used suspension bits, but from a low mileage R27.

The Focus is actually a great car, if you didn't know the mileage you wouldn't guess it was over 90k. We have had it for around 8 years / 60k during which time it has generally just been used as a courtesy car, yet it is still pretty presentable. If I had to drive to the other end of the country in it tomorrow I wouldn't be concerned.

This thread at some points reads as a total restoration project. Love it.

Its the 200 Cup suspension you had fitted?

Cheers, I went for 197 Cup suspension, for a couple of reasons;

1. bit softer than 200 Cup and I could end up driving several hundred miles in a day (Leeds - Swansea - Leeds for example) for work
2. I was offered the 197 suspension at a sensible price
3. 200 Cup has a different steering rack and ARB, I was wary of not going the whole hog, and having a mixed setup which could be worse than either factory setup. I did consider doing the rack anyway, but can't really justify the expense.

I suppose to some extent this is a bit of a resto. As I said at the beginning of this thread, I bought this car because it looked good value, not because I particularly wanted one, that I am so pleased with it is just a bonus!

Granted I could have got a lower mileage car, but many of the same issues (seat wear, steering wheel wear, general maintenance, etc.) would still apply, it would have cost me more, I would be more paranoid about damaging it on track, and I would be concerned about putting miles on it.

Sure when I come to sell it the mileage will put some people off, but it will be significantly cheaper than other 2 owner 197's, so I am sure someone will buy it. Especially as it should be in a better condition than most much lower mileage cars.

Went down to the garage yesterday, adjusted door alignment (awful, awful job), still no pics though. Hopefully some next weekend, might even get the car back!

Collected the car today, work done as follows;

• red front & rear calipers
  • rear discs & pads
  • cup suspension
  • track rods & ends
  • new rear bumper
  • repainted front bumper
  • new front rubber lip spoiler
  • fixed slight blow on exhaust
  • repainted interior trims
  • Door alignment adjusted

Just need to get the alignment checked and give it a good clean.

I am so happy to have this back, really missed it. Plus I think the red calipers, anthracite wheels and albi blue paint look great against each other.