Yellow

I’ve now realised after watching that I definitely shouldn’t have been in 2nd gear so much last Thursday!
I don’t see an issue personally. I lap very similar, with the exception of that weird tight right hander before the right onto the back straight.

The only observation I had is you need to have a bit more confidence when you power on from the mid to exit of the corner. You’re lifting cus you think you’re going too fast or running wide, which in turn starts pushing the front further and further out.
I did the exact same when I had the gripper fitted. I think it’s just a muscle memory kinda thing from open diff days.

I don’t see an issue personally. I lap very similar, with the exception of that weird tight right hander before the right onto the back straight.

The only observation I had is you need to have a bit more confidence when you power on from the mid to exit of the corner. You’re lifting cus you think you’re going too fast or running wide, which in turn starts pushing the front further and further out.
I did the exact same when I had the gripper fitted. I think it’s just a muscle memory kinda thing from open diff days.

I agree, I noticed that after watching it with sound that I’m lifting off at points i should still be full throttle. Something to keep in mind for next time!

Reactions: Beany
Apparently my boot release is now broken - unlocking/locking does nothing to boot catch, and also causes a loud solid beep from the rear. some combination of lock/unlock seems to stop the beep but apparently it didn't like the recovery truck and now wont open.. never had an issue before. odd.

hoping to get the car to AW next week for more info on the impact of snett.

Odd. I got tired of the electric boot release not working on my car and just removed the locking mechanism and put in some aerocatches rather than solve the electrical problem.

Hopefully Alex can fix it for you when he takes a look at the engine.

Odd. I got tired of the electric boot release not working on my car and just removed the locking mechanism and put in some aerocatches rather than solve the electrical problem.

Hopefully Alex can fix it for you when he takes a look at the engine.
I think I would cry if I had to cut through liquid yellow paintwork

• Haha
Reactions: Sean197 and Beany
.. I actually think it's electrical. post grenade my carly reported some sort of electrical shorting code - and now battery seems flat for key remote opening, had to use the 'manual' key. connecting my gooloo battery didn't seem to solve it. going to stick it on the CTEK overnight and see what happens to the voltage.

In other news, these have arrived:

516A1351.jpg

so i guess i'm going to donny after all.

hah yes deffo, i might need a bit of your garage to store my lunch box. in exchange. plus you can show me where the corners are.

was no garages when i booked sadly, nor instruction!

Reactions: EthanMenace
Ok, so Snetterton videos.

First lap on the brand new, unscrubbed MRFs. Turns out 1 lap wasn't enough.. Wes following in @Beany 's car - who also had a little wobble just before me got a great view from right behind.. until he was in front of me, and then behind again...

to my defence it felt good on the front end in the previous two corners so figured i'd go for it on the fast left. Turns out the rears were not yet ready for this!

and then a relatively fast lap (for me), towards the end of the day - with Wes for instruction(encouragement) and following @EthanMenace for this session.

Not too bad for a first visit but yeah, next Snetterton day it'l be aiming for 2:20 or so, just need some bigger Cojones.

... and an explosion free engine. The bottom end let go shortly after this.. but we were hitting much better 'optimal' laps - which in Garmin Catalyst speak indicates i knew how to do each corner better but was not yet correctly connecting them up.

Donington!

Not strictly a Clio post, but it was INTENDED to be a Clio day. until it wasn't.

So it became a GT3 day...

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 15.26.47.png

I did say one day i'd give @burrellbloke a ride in it, so the exhaust tips arrived (titanium JCR silencer tips.. lovely blue shade when bedded in!), the Cup 2s were fitted and the front numberplate 'fell' off. Was great to see such a range of cars, with @EthanMenace @burrellbloke @AndyP - and the 6000 school kids watching Jimmy Broadbent on a simulator in garage 99. To be fair, they were all nice, but i drew the line at passenger laps for the sim racers who wouldn't risk their own car, hah.

shiny blue tips:

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 15.26.37.png

some action shots... Track Obsession photos being as good as ever:

52974814672_88aab3e46b_o.jpg

52975574988_d7ca84bd20_o.jpg

Vids:

Firstly gently following the guys in the clio to try and learn the lines, see what the GT3 is all about, and somewhat enjoy trying to catch the clio .. working our way through traffic. Clio is much more confidence inspiring in the corners ... probably because i know the clio, and i can afford for it to hit a sausage curb. GT3 wins in the engine dept, as you'll see when you put your foot down fully vs @burrellbloke on the back straight. I should say the ‘sighting laps’ were not sighting at all for me and the poor caterham before me.. both of us had been passed by the second corner lol.

Second vid is a later session with a 'fast' lap and @burrellbloke on board, despite a lot of traffic and more examples of people on the weird 'slow line' on the last chicane before the pits (you cant really see it but the clio wasn't going to lift to let me through, so you can't confidently turn across the chicane). Fun to see the GT3 vs the Clio with ethan doing his fast laps during that session.

trackday was generally pretty good - though lots of red flags, and i was mostly taking it easy anyway. I think the GT3 will get some camber before i take it out again and actually push it. It's definitely interesting driving a car with that much power and brakes - spent most of my time assessing whether the overtake was safe or not, even in the fast lap i'm constantly hesitating over whether to accelerate or just float behind someone.. and equally whether i can outbrake safely without pissing them off ('that twat in a gt3 again!').

as mentioned in the other post i also found (in 27c heat..) the Cup2 seemed to fall off after 4-5 laps and started to hit 35psi .. really noticed it starting to run wide (all 4 tyres). It's controlled and well balanced .. i guess you'd hope so given it's a porsche... but on a narrow section of track somewhat uncomfortable. The tyres also need quite a bit of work to get hot.. duno if that's just the size of them or something lol. The evening session had a few acquaintances in GT4RS and GT3RS who said similar things about the heat and Cup2s.

Again you see the optimal lap time based on my best lines being significantly different to the achieved times, i suspect this will be pretty common for tracks on my first visit. Look forward to going back! Overall very happy, the fact the GT3 can drive there in comfort, flip some switches and do those laps with full A/C blasting out and 9000rpm, and then drive home without issues is brilliant.

IMG_5120.jpg

JCR just put a nice Brands Hatch GT4 youtube video up which to me is a great advert for a GT4.

Last edited:
.. and the bad news.

To explain the cloud of smoke at Snetterton... Alex (AW Motorworks) found "a window" in my engine...

15106b87-f234-4b94-b953-dade7f1e7583.jpg

Bit of a shame, having just dropped a wedge to get the above GT3 on track and fully servicing (belts etc) the Clio last month. I think best case is get a new engine, get it fitted (little baby on the way in 3 weeks so my wife baulked at the suggestion of me doing it.. lol), and hopefully back out for Oulton in Sept. Unfortunately priority is going to be new baby costs, but if i can find a good engine Alex has quoted not a terrible price for what's involved.

Looks like there's a few on facebook and ebay, but unsure what condition they're in. Around £700-900 ...going to do some more research. Would rather one with similar or less mileage (mine was on 67k).

I don't think i'm going to do any mods/upgrades to it, i'd rather it were reliable than had any more power so discussed the idea of checking bearings on whatever replacement i can source.

Donington!

Not strictly a Clio post, but it was INTENDED to be a Clio day. until it wasn't.

So it became a GT3 day...

View attachment 154787

I did say one day i'd give @burrellbloke a ride in it, so the exhaust tips arrived (titanium JCR silencer tips.. lovely blue shade when bedded in!), the Cup 2s were fitted and the front numberplate 'fell' off. Was great to see such a range of cars, with @EthanMenace @burrellbloke @AndyP - and the 6000 school kids watching Jimmy Broadbent on a simulator in garage 99. To be fair, they were all nice, but i drew the line at passenger laps for the sim racers who wouldn't risk their own car, hah.

shiny blue tips:

View attachment 154786

some action shots... Track Obsession photos being as good as ever:

View attachment 154781

View attachment 154782

Vids:

Firstly gently following the guys in the clio to try and learn the lines, see what the GT3 is all about, and somewhat enjoy trying to catch the clio .. working our way through traffic. Clio is much more confidence inspiring in the corners ... probably because i know the clio, and i can afford for it to hit a sausage curb. GT3 wins in the engine dept, as you'll see when you put your foot down fully vs @burrellbloke on the back straight.

Second vid is a later session with a 'fast' lap and @burrellbloke on board, despite a lot of traffic and more examples of people on the weird 'slow line' on the last chicane before the pits (you cant really see it but the clio wasn't going to lift to let me through, so you can't confidently turn across the chicane). Fun to see the GT3 vs the Clio with ethan doing his fast laps during that session.

trackday was generally pretty good - though lots of red flags, and i was mostly taking it easy anyway. I think the GT3 will get some camber before i take it out again and actually push it. It's definitely interesting driving a car with that much power and brakes - spent most of my time assessing whether the overtake was safe or not, even in the fast lap i'm constantly hesitating over whether to accelerate or just float behind someone.. and equally whether i can outbrake safely without pissing them off ('that twat in a gt3 again!').

as mentioned in the other post i also found (in 27c heat..) the Cup2 seemed to fall off after 4-5 laps and started to hit 35psi .. really noticed it starting to run wide (all 4 tyres). It's controlled and well balanced .. i guess you'd hope so given it's a porsche... but on a narrow section of track somewhat uncomfortable. The tyres also need quite a bit of work to get hot.. duno if that's just the size of them or something lol. The evening session had a few acquaintances in GT4RS and GT3RS who said similar things about the heat and Cup2s.

Again you see the optimal lap time based on my best lines being significantly different to the achieved times, i suspect this will be pretty common for tracks on my first visit. Look forward to going back! Overall very happy, the fact the GT3 can drive there in comfort, flip some switches and do those laps with full A/C blasting out and 9000rpm, and then drive home without issues is brilliant.

View attachment 154783

JCR just put a nice Brands Hatch GT4 youtube video up which to me is a great advert for a GT4.

Such a good looking (and sounding) car!

.. and the bad news.

To explain the cloud of smoke at Snetterton... Alex (AW Motorworks) found "a window" in my engine...

View attachment 154788

Bit of a shame, having just dropped a wedge to get the above GT3 on track and fully servicing (belts etc) the Clio last month. I think best case is get a new engine, get it fitted (little baby on the way in 3 weeks so my wife baulked at the suggestion of me doing it.. lol), and hopefully back out for Oulton in Sept. Unfortunately priority is going to be new baby costs, but if i can find a good engine Alex has quoted not a terrible price for what's involved.

Looks like there's a few on facebook and ebay, but unsure what condition they're in. Around £700-900 ...going to do some more research. Would rather one with similar or less mileage (mine was on 67k).

I don't think i'm going to do any mods/upgrades to it, i'd rather it were reliable than had any more power so discussed the idea of checking bearings on whatever replacement i can source.

That’s not supposed to be there :grimacing: Hopefully you can get it sorted for Oulton!

Reactions: jimmybell