Winter tyres?

Does anybody acutally use them? Since the dimension of the tyre is pretty rare and expensive :@! my car will stay most of the time in the garage. Got myself four axle stands so the contis won't get flatspots but I'll try to drive the car at least once in 2 weeks and warm the engine maybe once a week. The oil is pretty new so I think ther "water" amount in it is pretty small but will change it in spring after the winters sleep.

Thought of getting myself these - http://www.autosock.no/ they are pretty cheap and on ice they are even better than winter tyres + chains :scared:

So if I'll take my R27 out in the winter with the contis I'll have at least something for backup.

Actually just wanted to know if anyone has 215/45/17 winter tyres and how they perform? Or are you all driving summer tyres in the winter (dunno how much snow you got there but here it can be Syberia from time to time :biggrin:smile:?

POLAND - Lots of snow during winter, poor road service so winter tyres are a must,

I am driving all winter on DUNLOP M3 205/50/17

Feels much softer than a summer tyre when driven on dry tarmac, but real good in the snow, even though it is so wide ( in the snow the narrower the tyre the better )

Another thing with summer tyres in the winter is that the tarmac, even if no snow falls, the tarmac has a very low temperature and summer tyres are just too hard to provide enough grip.

The summer tyres are designed to work well at about 15C and when its colder they dont get warm enough to give you the grip.

We already got -2C today and I am on the summer Conti and did a few handbrake turns with wild slides even though I was driving slower than usual, they slide a lot when its cold.

Get the winter tyres, you wont regret it, the 197 handles great in the snow and is just so much fun!

I was thinking about it to be honest, I found the 197 shocking last year in the snow. I have never driven a car that slips and slides as much on the snow lol. It made the 182 look like a Sci-doo

I'm on summer tyres, for a second winter in a row...next winter I'll buy a winter tyres & mount them on my stock wheels, while the Ultra's will have summer tyres on.

I'm on summer tyres, for a second winter in a row...next winter I'll buy a winter tyres & mount them on my stock wheels, while the Ultra's will have summer tyres on.

Thinking of doing the same cause my Clio will be in the garage for most of the time. Got myself a winterwagon - the Honda from my girl :smiley:8) then next year I'll put winter tyres on the stock rims cause the summer ones will be on the Ultraleggeras.

Googled a bit on how to store my car during the winter and will probably buy those autosocks so I can take it out for a spin once or twice a month if the weather will be ok.

On my Kangoo I'm already driving wintertyres. But I think I'm not gonna spend any money on tyres for the R27. If it is snowy, just let the car in the garage.

I was thinking about it to be honest, I found the 197 shocking last year in the snow. I have never driven a car that slips and slides as much on the snow lol. It made the 182 look like a Sci-doo

Thanks for boosting my confidence about my first winter with the R27... :@! lol!

Thanks for boosting my confidence about my first winter with the R27... :@! lol!

I dunno if its the clio or the contis though! i got caught out by the snow in jan this year (about 3 weeks after i bought the car :worried:)while i was at work, on my way home there was a few inches of white stuff and there was absolutely no steering - just understeered everywhere. Girlfriends C2 was absolutely fine on it though, was great fun sliding about!

I dunno if its the clio or the contis though! i got caught out by the snow in jan this year (about 3 weeks after i bought the car :worried:)while i was at work, on my way home there was a few inches of white stuff and there was absolutely no steering - just understeered everywhere. Girlfriends C2 was absolutely fine on it though, was great fun sliding about!

It's the Contis and their surface (those channels - they can't grip snow - but are great when aquaplaning).

I'm thinking of getting either the Nokian WR G2 or Michelin Alpin A3 winter tyres. Both should be for high performance cars..

Anyone has experience with these ?

Too bad we can't get smaller "winter rims" i.e. in 16" (which would result in cheaper 16" winter tyres) as we need 17" minimum due to the brembo's..

Okidoki, just ordered the Nokian WR G2's in R17 215 45, they seem to come out as excellent in basically every review/test I read about them. Will update you guys on my opinion about it later! :wink:

I used Pirelli Sottozero Series II 215/45R17 W210 =)

Got Series I Pirelli Sottozeros in 225/45 R17 W240, good on snowy surfaces or sunny conditions.

But in the rain you will have no grip at all. And let´s be honest...snow...really? :rolleyes:

I'd agree completely. Last year when the snow storm started late sunday night i had to do a 200 mile trip back home after a weekend away. The car did not perform well compared to my old cars. Damn right dangerous 2b honest.

Even still mild weather in UK doesnt warrant changing tyres IMO.

Similar Thread Suggestions