What the clio was really made for....

Clio 197 and 200 perform well on track..... Shock horror!

And there endeth the reason why some of us will be keeping these cars a long time!!

Sounds like it was a fun time had by all!

Just the usual fluid and mechanical checks in terms of prep'. I've just picked up some track tyre which I swapped into the wheels, could do with getting another set of wheels when funds allow but prior to that I was using the normal Conti's and to be honest they're very good on track anyway. They just don't like it if the temps get too high.

Helmet, gloves, long sleeves, that's all you need for yourself. :smile:

cheers willis
I have an Arai SK-5 from karting, I think it's strictly speaking only legal for karting use, but are the track day places arsey about that kinda thing?

You don't really need gloves tbh. I always have a wee chuckle to myself when I see folk in normal cars wear "racing gloves".

Unless its a requirement for MsV tracks?

Gloves aren't needed as such but I prefer to wear them, keeps my hands getting all sweaty and slipping on the wheel and should the worse happen they'll stop my digits getting covered in glass or/and flames!!! :smiley:

Helmet wise, karting ones would be fine.

What tyres are most of you running for the track days?

Spare wheels with semi's or using your road tyres?

I used conti's on my 2 track days but they were almost worn out so I wasn't too bothered. They do overheat and melt though so aren't great on a hot day

i didn't wear gloves yesterday at oulton but after bedford last year i bought a set straight away,it was so hot inside the car that my hands were sweating and slipping on the wheel badly,i'd advise a cheap set for that reason alone

Going to sort my clunking problem, identified problem now so just need to purchase part, then I'll try out a track day...

Part worn contis be ok?

What tyres are most of you running for the track days?

Spare wheels with semi's or using your road tyres?

I've used a few different tyres on the 200.

R888s. Fudging outstanding on track in both dry and wet conditions. Not ideal if the track your using has rivers running across the corners though. Dreadful tyre for the road though. Too soft so don't last long and very very noisy. Pick up a lot of rubbish to.

Conti 3. Normal road tyre so fits all on road uses. On track very good to a point. Tend to get very hot and either blister or tear. I destroyed the front left at Knockhill in less than 3 hours on track.

Yoko AD08. Currently on the car. Awesome on road and track (if you keep atop the pressures/temperatures). Best compromise IMO.

I was having too much fun to take photo's, but did manage to get this one...

20130201-01_zps3c79586b.jpg

A little gutted that I forgot to pack my Renaultsport numberplates though as they always look great on the photo's.

Conti' 3; Brilliant on wet/cold/damp trackdays but as N0ddie has said they just give up when it's warm (15C onwards).

Silverstone FTZ RR; Comical on dry trackdays, there's no other way to describe it. Good in the damp as long as you get them warm before pushing it and they cope alright in the wet too (although not as well as the Conti's). I'm using the medium compound and I've ran them for a week on the road (~150Miles) and one trackday (~115Miles) and have taken less than a quarter of a milimetre out of the tread. I'll be sticking my Conti's back on next week though as I'd rather keep these for track fun, could do with another set of wheels really but I can get a full set of tyres fitted and balanced for £20 so it's hard to justify another set of wheels...

Conti' 3; Brilliant on wet/cold/damp trackdays but as N0ddie has said they just give up when it's warm (15C onwards).

They don't give up above 15ºC, They give up if you're scrubbing them across the tarmac all the time. Just needs smoother driving.

They don't give up above 15ºC, They give up if you're scrubbing them across the tarmac all the time. Just needs smoother driving.

Well they've been fine for me in cool (below 15C in my experience) or/and damp conditions but the one time I've used them on track in warm temperatures (~25C) they completely gave up to the point where the tread blocks were crumbling on the edges and the shoulders were turning blue (could've been made better with different pressures maybe)... Exactly as N0ddie experienced at a different set of tracks to myself though, so that's why I'm inclined to think that on track in high ambient temperatures they're not the best choice for the job. On the road I've found they're more than capable for spirited driving in most conditions (snow being the obvious exception) and I really cant fault them. It's just a shame they've stopped making them now so I'll most likely be replacing them with the 5's when the time comes.

Front Right after Bedford West Circuit ~25C...

20120902-05.jpg

20120902-06.jpg

nice shot!was any took on track?

Yeah there'll be a load mate, just waiting for MSV to upload them, should be on over the weekend hopefully. :smile:

Last edited:
Mine looked pretty much identical after doing bedford at a similar temperature. The conti's really don't like getting hot