URGENT HELP! Week old Clio wont start!

They piss me off too mate. They're fu***ng useless. They don't answer the phone and when they do they don't seem keen to help. I tried phoning the parts department at 3 dealers last week. They either didn't answer on the front desk, didn't answer at the parts department, cut me off or I got put on hold and got fed up of waiting. I fianally managed to get through to Renault Birmingham when I rang very early in the morning. They bloke was quite keen to get me off the phone and said I'd have to go in and pay for the part before they ordered it anyway.

It's a shame really, they began to improve the customer service about 2 years ago. It was very good about 12 months ago, but it has gone down hill again. I was fobbed off by the service department not so long ago. I took the car in because the heater fan was noisy sometimes. Also the a/c. They fixed the problem with the a/c but he didn't mention the fan when explaining the work that had been done, so I had to ask about it. 'I'll just go and check with the technician.' A minute or so later 'He's replaced the motor for you.'

Did he bo**ocks! It is exactly the same! And to rub salt in the wound the a/c fu**ed up again shortly after!

EDIT: Rant over!

I'd be contacting RUK CS (if you haven't already) and I'd be logging it with them as a formal complaint. Hopefully then they would give your dealer a polite talking to :smile:

:whatever::whatever::whatever::whatever::whatever::whatever: what more can i say

Update: Got the car back this afternoon with its new fuse fitted... all seems ok so far.

As for the reason, all I got was "we dont know, maybe its just one of them things..."

Apparently the alternator was checked that it was regulating the voltage supply correctly and no problems were found.

What is that smell?

Oh yes, that's right, I've smelt it a million times before - it's Renualt Dealer Bull Sh*t! Lol!

Last edited:
Starting the car in gear cuased a fuse to blow :001_rolleyes: riggggggght

Ahahaha, sorry but I would have laughed right in their face if they told me that.

Glad you got it back.

Starting the car in gear cuased a fuse to blow :001_rolleyes: riggggggght

Ahahaha, sorry but I would have laughed right in their face if they told me that.

Glad you got it back.

Agreed! I told them that it was a ridiculous reason... even though when the AA came out he gave it as a reason aswell, but did say it usually only happens on diesels (and even then its very rare) he had never heard of it happening on a petrol engine... (Have no idea why its more likely to happen on a diesel than a petrol? the alternator and voltage regulator do the same thing still)

Anyway... Im glad I've got it back, but like you all have said fuses dont just blow for know reason... they blow because there must have been quite a large voltage surge. They said that the fuse wasn't fault so that rules that out.

So this weekend I am going to get a voltage meter on the terminals of the alternator and run my own tests while varying the rpm, as I feel at the moment its only a mater of time until it could happen again...

One thing that Im not sure on though...

The alternator should behave the same while being rev'd in neutral as being driving through the rev range shouldn't it?

I understand that the voltage load sent from the alternator to the battery increases as the engine rpm also does, but is it also effected by the wheels rotating?

Curious...

Last edited:
alternator output only varies with engine speed - and then it will stop once it gets to its rated value usually 14-15 volts - i cant see the alternator output being enough to blow that to be honest - a short circuit perhaps but not overcharging !

i wonder if the fault could have been caused when it was at the docks or something like that - perhaps it had a flat battery and was jump started and that weakend the fuseable link ??

probably just a faulty weak fuse, hence "its one of them things" we have fuses blow now and again at our work (not car related) do tests and put a new one in nothing wrong and everything works and have no probs with it again. if it goes again, then theres a problem. wouldnt worry about it if it doesnt.