URGENT HELP! Week old Clio wont start!

Sure i speak for everyone when I say we all feel for you and hope its not serious. Hope your on your way soon and not dented your ownership experience

Thanks for the kind replies eveyone, the AA have just left.

The problem is a blown fuse. On the side of the battery the two live wires are fused in a small red box, and its this that has blown meaning the no power is able to pass from the battery.

The AA man couldn't give an explanation as he said that these fuse usually 'take some blowing!'

Anyway... I've decided to keep it here overnight and the AA are collecting it to go to my local dealership tomorrow, Im glad in a way that its something as simple as a blown fuse but also worried as to what caused it...

Obviously the fuse must have blown while I was last driving it... therefore Im guessing the problem could either simply be a defective fuse or maybe the alternator was not regulating the voltage supply properly going back into the battery, causing it to blow...

Fingers crossed its a quick fix and I will have it back tomorrow night, but I think I might invest in a spare fuse just in case... these things dont usually go for no reason.

One thing that is good though... the central locking system bypasses the battery meaning Im still able to lock it...

^^ great news mate, happy for ya.

Never heard of that happening before, I think a defective fuse however if its the alternator then it'll happen again. Know you wouldnt wanna hear that but its the truth since the inncorrect volts will be passing through the fuse everytime most likely during the day and at high revs.

Keep us updated mate

probably wont be the alternator blowing the fuse or over charging - thats part of the batteries job to absorb voltage spikes

could be the starter motor - was it one of the 50 or 80 amp fuses ??

Sounds like one of the main "breaker" fuses, and they only pop when there is a serious short, which may be just something as simple as a dodgy earth somewhere...

I made one pop once when i accidently tried to wire up a battery backwards! Trust me... it going has probably saved something more serious from dieing!

probably wont be the alternator blowing the fuse or over charging - thats part of the batteries job to absorb voltage spikes

could be the starter motor - was it one of the 50 or 80 amp fuses ??

From the looking at it the supply and return go through the same fuse which is before the battery on the return from alternator, so the battery wouldn't have the chance to absorb any surges it would just blow the fuse.

Not sure on its size, the 50 & 80 amp fuses are about 1 inch across this one is easily double that...

I think you are doing the right thing by keeping some spare fuses in the car. It's the law in France to keep fuses and bulds with you at all times. That's probably why they're not so bothered if they blow. You can just hear them sayin' well if it blows, replac it weeth anutha one.' Lol! I don't think they inforce the law much though, can you imagine changing a headlight bulb at the side of the road on a Renault! The Megane one takes an hour I've heard!

so the main feed fuse.....will be a biggi then !!! will have stopped something from being fried :001_huh:

FYI, but off topic, but you should always be careful when jumpstarting - make sure the key isn't in the ignition (on some cars, esp. Hondas it can cock up the immobiliser), and turn the lights on (on the flat car) before connecting the leads (the load from the lights will help absorb the spike of connecting the additional current).

vgheyp.jpg

Here is a photo of the blown fuse... its currently at my local dealership but cant be looked at until this afternoon, so Im now trying to get a courtesy car...

Does anyone know a land line number I can use to arrange a courtesy car...

I spoke to Renault Assistance (who are just the AA) they put me transferred me to Renault to arrange a courtesy car, but I was on hold 25mins on an 0800 number from my mobile!!! I eventually gave up...

Getting fed up with this now! The dealership where my car is now have said they wont be able to look at it til later this afternoon so I doubt ill be getting it back today, and it this rate I not going to have any car at all...

Considering my car is only 8 days old why is it ME having to chase around for a coutest car?! Wouldn't it be nice if Renault CS phoned and said we a awfully sorry your new car has let you down, but we will have a car dropped off to you asap until your car is fixed.

Update: Car is still in the dealers awaiting a replacement fuse that had to be ordered in... Im told it will arrive tomorrow so hopefully I will get it back then.

As for the reason... the service deptartment have said the most common cause for this fuse blowing is starting the car in gear. Even though this is not what happened to me they seem unable of giving any other reasons without saying "the most common cause is due to starting the car in gear".

Its very simple to replace the fuse yet your dealer is taking their sweet time. Dealers in Bahrain are very quick so a problem like this would have been resolved within minutes.

Update: Car is still in the dealers awaiting a replacement fuse that had to be ordered in... Im told it will arrive tomorrow so hopefully I will get it back then.

As for the reason... the service deptartment have said the most common cause for this fuse blowing is starting the car in gear. Even though this is not what happened to me they seem unable of giving any other reasons without saying "the most common cause is due to starting the car in gear".

renault dealers dont have a clue, its just another job to them. in the interveiw for there staff they should ask about car knowledge.

I'm no mechanic but that smells like bs 2 me!

Totally agree... but what can I do?

Tomorrow is D-day as far as Im concerned... if I dont get it back then I will be seriously p..... off.

In hind sight I should have told the AA van man to take it to the dealer I got it through, at least there there may be willing to try and keep me happy, my local dealer couldn't give a toss, even to the point where I no longer get put through to the service department when I phone up... I get put on hold and receptionist passes on the service departments answer to my questions!

Tomorrow they will need some new ear drums if I dont get answers and results quickly!

And breathe....