Turbo Clio 200 prices

As a 197/200 owner, do you THINK you would buy a 200T based on current knowledge?

• Total voters
I think Renault should have kept the price at 16k just like when they brought out both 197 and 200 brand new. I think they have priced themselves too steap for the clio. If I had 22k to splash on a car I would trade in my 197 and get a used MK2 Green focus RS, or Audi S3. Or if you wanted to stick with the Renault manaufacterer get a used 2012 Megane RS 265

Jeez,thats a loooonnnnggg read!

Not commented on the forum for a while but thought I'd stick my two peneth in....

Firstly I remember when I 1st saw the 197, it was red, I instantly loved it, was bowled over by the look of the thing and decided that I wanted one, so roll on a couple of years and bingo I ended up with a black 197 with all the trimmings.

Loved the car to bits, was awesome. But the mpg was/is crap...now people argue "you don't buy a 197 for economy...blah blah...go buy something else..." and in some respects your right I didn't buy it with fuel economy in mind, but at the end of the day who doesn't want a few more mpg's? 25mpg average in 2012 is crap by any standard.

Yes it was an amazing drive, but cold it kangaroo'd like a....well kangaroo, and as for the gear box! cold it wouldn't go in gear and on a long run or motorway was tiresome due to the low gearing, likewise the 2ltr engine is really lacking in torque compared to it's competitors.

Then came along the 200, which basically was a 197 with new headlights. I remember all the initial comments of it being ugly and was pretty much hated when the 1st pics came out and I'm sure there was a debate like this about who would and who wouldn't buy one, some people stuck by their opinions (me being one) and others changed when they saw the 200 in the metal......

I anticipate that the new one will be the same. Initially I didn't like it, but the more pics I see the more I'm beginning to like it,
Do I want more power? Damn Straight
Do I want better economy? Damn Straight
Is it an improvement that it hasn't got the diabolical excuse of a gearbox that the 197 and 200 had? Absolutely
Do I care that it hasn't got Brembo brakes? Not in the slightest, not only did I not find them any better than any other brakes on hot hatches I've owned they are also stupidly expensive to maintain...I mean £60 for pins!!

Personally as long as it handles like my old 197 goes like my current car and is more reliable then I'm sold.

Not commented on the forum for a while but thought I'd stick my two peneth in....

Firstly I remember when I 1st saw the 197, it was red, I instantly loved it, was bowled over by the look of the thing and decided that I wanted one, so roll on a couple of years and bingo I ended up with a black 197 with all the trimmings.

Loved the car to bits, was awesome. But the mpg was/is crap...now people argue "you don't buy a 197 for economy...blah blah...go buy something else..." and in some respects your right I didn't buy it with fuel economy in mind, but at the end of the day who doesn't want a few more mpg's? 25mpg average in 2012 is crap by any standard.

Yes it was an amazing drive, but cold it kangaroo'd like a....well kangaroo, and as for the gear box! cold it wouldn't go in gear and on a long run or motorway was tiresome due to the low gearing, likewise the 2ltr engine is really lacking in torque compared to it's competitors.

Then came along the 200, which basically was a 197 with new headlights. I remember all the initial comments of it being ugly and was pretty much hated when the 1st pics came out and I'm sure there was a debate like this about who would and who wouldn't buy one, some people stuck by their opinions (me being one) and others changed when they saw the 200 in the metal......

I anticipate that the new one will be the same. Initially I didn't like it, but the more pics I see the more I'm beginning to like it,
Is it an improvement that it hasn't got the diabolical excuse of a gearbox that the 197 and 200 had? Absolutely
Do I care that it hasn't got Brembo brakes? Not in the slightest, not only did I not find them any better than any other brakes on hot hatches I've owned they are also stupidly expensive to maintain...I mean £60 for pins!!

Personally as long as it handles like my old 197 goes like my current car and is more reliable then I'm sold.

This.....

Dont know how you can say that the brakes are just as good as any other hot hatch.

Have you driven any other hot hatches because from my experience its one of the main difference between the MK3 RS and its competition.

Corsa VXR brakes? Not up to much. Seat Ibiza Boc brakes? Same. Mini Cooper S brakes. Good but still not a patch on the MK3 RS'.

If you have driven them to compare then you must have been driving like a granny because, imo, you dont need to do a track day in them to be able to tell the difference.

I think the telling thing is this regarding the brakes arguement...

Clio 197/200 = Brembo Calipers, Brembo HC Discs, Brembo/Ferodo Pads
Clio 197/200 ''Cup'' Car = Brembo Calipers, Brembo HC Discs, CL/Ferodo Pads

Clio 200T = 330mm Discs, PigIron Calipers, Unkown Pads
Clio 200T ''Cup'' Car = Brembo Calipers, Brembo HC Discs, Unkown Pads (CL/Ferodo?)

So... If the Brembo's ain't all that and a bag of chips then why refit them to the 200T ''Cup'' Car? Why not just keep the same setup as the road-going car with its 330mm Discs? If the 197/200 setup isn't any better than anything else then why keep it for the 197/200 ''Cup'' Cars and indeed it was barely changed on the R3 cars either to the best of my knowledge, maybe changed on the Maxi but certainly not on the Access. If you keep the Brembo setup clean and if you actually use the car from more than sitting in traffic and letting the components get all gummed up then they are fantastic. The 197/200 is overbraked to begin with, regardless of how certain people on here would like to have you believe that they are able to reduce a set of Pads and Discs to dust inside three laps. That probably has more to do with their driving than anything else...

Last edited:
IMO the only reason the Clio ended up with brembos was cause they were on the Meg. Simply came down to cost I think as oppose to developing something else, the brembo's were already on the shelf. If the Renault wasnt worried about the Meg sales, the 197 would have had the 225 turbo engine too....having done the conversion, its clear that that was in their thinking...

Also, I don't know but get the feeling that this is the base model 200T. Maybe 200T Cup, 215T or even 200T RSR will follow? Base model 197, spec R27 followed with stuff you could spec future 197's with...

I think that the options list is gonna be very different in the future. Renault I'm guessing may offer them as options ....with exhaust, maps, Recaro's and other stuff....its another way of making money which previously was going to other companies. Vauxhall and ford have done it....These options wont validate your warranty either...watch this space!!!

Last edited:
I have to agree, despite an earlier post of mine regarding wet braking, the brakes on my 197 are phenomenal, really, I've owned some choice cars in my 20+ years of driving, and the brakes on the 197 stand out above almost anything else I've driven. The sheer grip also stands out! But the brakes are superb, very, very good.

I've decided to hold onto my 197 and/or buy a Trophy, I'll give it a couple of years, suss out the 200T and make a decision on it, I have no problem with it's spec or looks, assuming I can spec the Brembos on a FF car. No rush.

I dont think I could buy a car that makes engine noises through its stereo speakers,

I much prefer to make them with my own mouth

I think that the options list is gonna be very different in the future. Renault I'm guessing may offer them as options ....with exhaust, maps, Recaro's and other stuff....its another way of making money which previously was going to other companies. Vauxhall and ford have done it....These options wont validate your warranty either...watch this space!!!

This is the future of tuning for the majority of people in my opinion. I had a Focus ST before the 200 and I had it at well over 270 bhp with stuff bought and fitted by Ford. Kept my warrenty too. The quality of the Mountune Performance (and Mountune Racing) stuff that Ford supplied was top notch too giving people buying second hand confidence that they were buying something done properly. I had re-maps, larger WRC style intercooler, K&N air filter, stainless exhaust, uprated clutch etc all bought from Ford.

Like other have said, they could easily offer brembos as part of a track pack (presuming standard ones aren't up to scratch) just look at the TRD GT86. Although I wouldn't expect them to be cheap...

Dont know how you can say that the brakes are just as good as any other hot hatch.

Have you driven any other hot hatches because from my experience its one of the main difference between the MK3 RS and its competition.

Corsa VXR brakes? Not up to much. Seat Ibiza Boc brakes? Same. Mini Cooper S brakes. Good but still not a patch on the MK3 RS'.

If you have driven them to compare then you must have been driving like a granny because, imo, you dont need to do a track day in them to be able to tell the difference.

Yes I have driven other hot hatches, and I stick by that the brakes of other cars I've driven are just as capable on the road as the Clios Brembos, besides I'm not going to apologise because I never managed to get brake fade or warp a disc on the public road, if that makes me a granny then pass me the blanket, I'd rather be a granny than parked up a tree thanks.

The brakes may well be the bees knees on the track, however when I bought my 197 it cost me 11k and the last thing I was going to do in it was rag it around a track and then let the wife and kids out in it the day after, not all of us are able to have a Renaultsport purely as fun car although I'd love too.

And I suspect that 98% of RS Clio owners and future owners will also do the same as I did, spend a lot of money buying and insuring it, polish it and wash it, drive it to work, drive it to the shops, put the kids and loved ones in it and just use it as a normal car (with the occasional spirited drive now and again :tongueout:roud:smile:

Surprisingly enough and always according to this poll, nearly 30% of current clio owners would buy the new clio, a percentage which is huge considering the negativity and the bad appeal the car had at the beginning...

Good point Yiannis, if those figures translated to actual sales (granted that's a big assumption) then Renault would likely be pretty happy, since let's face it, with 5doors and no manual gearbox they were always aiming for new customers, not just existing ones.

I know Subaru are particularly proud of their ~50% owner retainership.

Surprisingly enough and always according to this poll, nearly 30% of current clio owners would buy the new clio, a percentage which is huge considering the negativity and the bad appeal the car had at the beginning...

Good point Yiannis, if those figures translated to actual sales (granted that's a big assumption) then Renault would likely be pretty happy, since let's face it, with 5doors and no manual gearbox they were always aiming for new customers, not just existing ones.

I know Subaru are particularly proud of their ~50% owner retainership.

lets see what happens when the price is released....

It's grown on me since seeing the 1st pics a few months ago... And with a bit of TLC, one could almost look like this...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358117470687.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358117470687.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 33
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358117505853.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358117505853.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 31
Yes I have driven other hot hatches, and I stick by that the brakes of other cars I've driven are just as capable on the road as the Clios Brembos, besides I'm not going to apologise because I never managed to get brake fade or warp a disc on the public road, if that makes me a granny then pass me the blanket, I'd rather be a granny than parked up a tree thanks.

The brakes may well be the bees knees on the track, however when I bought my 197 it cost me 11k and the last thing I was going to do in it was rag it around a track and then let the wife and kids out in it the day after, not all of us are able to have a Renaultsport purely as fun car although I'd love too.

And I suspect that 98% of RS Clio owners and future owners will also do the same as I did, spend a lot of money buying and insuring it, polish it and wash it, drive it to work, drive it to the shops, put the kids and loved ones in it and just use it as a normal car (with the occasional spirited drive now and again :tongueout:roud:smile:

all i will say on the brakes was that the ctr following us one time round the buttertubs were no where near as effective as the 197 :innocent:

This all comes down to what each persons objectives are when buying. If you use it as a daily and prefer the more mpg, 5 door practicalilty etc etc then the new 200T is undoubtedly better. However, if you use you 197/200 on track and as a toy or are very much into having a 'drivers' car irrespective of the shortfalls in practicality then 200T just doesn't cut it (from the evidence so far). I'm sure it will sell, its just that i doubt many, if any, will be buying it as a second/fun involving toy (like me)

I agree with you that many owners won't take their cars on the track and I like a spirited drive as much as the next guy but I have owned too many cars over the years that are underbraked, even for the road.

The clio may be over braked but I love my Brembos and they are worth the money it costs to have them serviced every year too!!!!!