Trolley Jack, Axle Stands & Socket Set Help!

Tom

Platinum Member
Before I sold the 197, I sold the wheels. Getting them off without the right tools was a really big inconvenience and took way longer than it needed to.

This hasn't been the first time I've needed decent tools either.

So I'm making the plunge.

Can anyone recommend a trolley jack, some axle stands and a decent socket set please?

I did the obvious and looked on the Halfords website to get me started, but I am not familiar with brands in this area.

Cheers!

Tom.

Last edited:
Yeah... I wasn't sure. ;/

Edit: I copied from a website, but I completely misread what they wrote. :|

Last edited:
halfords and machine mart are the ones i look at but i am lucky too have a very good almost alladdins cave type motorist supplies near me that stocks 1000's of spanners etc

I got the 2 tonne black trolley jack from halfords.........it doesnt fit under the clio lol. Need to drive on to something to raise it an inch

Don't take this the wrong way but not knowing what a socket set is makes me shudder, your willingness to learn is good but i hope you have someone to help you out, show you a few things along the way.

Having said that you could talk about computers a bit indepth and i'd soon be lost.

:kiss:

I know going by the book to change wheels you should use axle stands but I've never needed to providing the cars on a level surface wth handbrake on and in gear.

Socket wise these are good for not knackering wheels:
http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=161039368

A sliding T bar is useful too as a tool for getting nuts off and on quick.

This is the jack I use:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/jacks/sealey-aluminium-1-25-ton-trolley-jack

Works well and doesn't chew up your sills, little bit too shiny though :tongueout:

The only other tool you need is a torque wrench, I have a cheap one from clas ohlson (i dont work for them) for about 30. It works fine, but you don't need to send the earth.

Last edited:
Clark or machine mart do a nice, low slung trolly jack for around £100, these are light enough to lug about, ideal for track days and an home mechanic.

Axle stands can be had for about £15/20 and keep an eye out for halfords doing some cracking deals on their bigger socket sets when they have a sale on, a bank holiday weekend is a good time for those.

halfords and machine mart are the ones i look at but i am lucky too have a very good almost alladdins cave type motorist supplies near me that stocks 1000's of spanners etc
Machine mart have quite the selection, cheers!

I got the 2 tonne black trolley jack from halfords.........it doesnt fit under the clio lol. Need to drive on to something to raise it an inch
That's not unusual for low cars. Had to drive the 197 onto wood to get the wheels on and onto a kurb to get them off.

Don't take this the wrong way but not knowing what a socket set is makes me shudder, your willingness to learn is good but i hope you have someone to help you out, show you a few things along the way.
I know what one is - just got confused by the way I assumed it was labeled on a website. Then it made me doubt what I thought, and I copied it out wrong. :worried:

I know going by the book to change wheels you should use axle stands but I've never needed to providing the cars on a level surface wth handbrake on and in gear.

Socket wise these are good for not knackering wheels:
http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=161039368

A sliding T bar is useful too as a tool for getting nuts off and on quick.

This is the jack I use:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/jacks/sealey-aluminium-1-25-ton-trolley-jack

Works well and doesn't chew up your sills, little bit too shiny though :tongueout:

The only other tool you need is a torque wrench, I have a cheap one from clas ohlson (i dont work for them) for about 30. It works fine, but you don't need to send the earth.

Clark or machine mart do a nice, low slung trolly jack for around £100, these are light enough to lug about, ideal for track days and an home mechanic.

Axle stands can be had for about £15/20 and keep an eye out for halfords doing some cracking deals on their bigger socket sets when they have a sale on, a bank holiday weekend is a good time for those.

Cheers fellas. Sound advice - really appreciate your input.

I like the look of that toque wrench.

I didn't quite want to spend £100 on just a jack TBH. I was hoping more along the lines of £50!

Can I still get a half decent one for that? What are the implications with cheaper trolley jacks?

the cheaper jacks can be ok - as long as you only use them occasionally and of cause ALWAY use axle stands

theres deals out there and as said halfords do some good deals at holiday times

if you were closer could have given you some lessons in "car maintenance"!

Cheers fellas, keep 'em coming!

the cheaper jacks can be ok - as long as you only use them occasionally and of cause ALWAY use axle stands

theres deals out there and as said halfords do some good deals at holiday times

if you were closer could have given you some lessons in "car maintenance"!
Okay, cheers! Sound advice, I'll be sure to get some decent axle stands too.

Thanks! I could do with the lessons! I can just about change a wheel lol.

Cheers fellas, keep 'em coming!

Okay, cheers! Sound advice, I'll be sure to get some decent axle stands too.

Thanks! I could do with the lessons! I can just about change a wheel lol.

Most jobs aren't as difficult as you probably think they are. If you use a guide like they have on the 'How-to' section you can't go too far wrong. You'll find that the more jobs you do, the more confident you get.

Useful tips:

Use some jar lids or small Tupperware containers for keeping your nuts/bolts/washers etc in during a job.

If you don't like getting your hands covered in muck/oil/blood wear some rubber gloves.

If doing an oil change, remember to put the sump plug back in when you've drained the old oil out (into a container so it can be disposed of properly, and definitely not down the nearest drain :nope: ) or else your new oil will be all over the floor.

Seeing as we're talking about Renaults, buy a Torx screw driver set or you'll be very frustrated when none of your screw drivers fit in the star shaped holes. (Does anyone know what the ****ing point of using both Torx and phillips head bolts is?!?!)

If you're doing a job for the first time, take the 'suggested job time' and triple it.

I'm sure others can add some more...

You might want some copper slip/grease and some swarfega too :tongueout: it'll save the bollocking for leaving black hand prints on all the white doors.

Just go into any Halfauds mate and tell them you never pay full price and you will get them cheaper
Plus you had loads of money yesterday where's that gone??? At one point I thought you were going to start your own stall up lol

Just go into any Halfauds mate and tell them you never pay full price and you will get them cheaper
Plus you had loads of money yesterday where's that gone??? At one point I thought you were going to start your own stall up lol

:lol:

I have halfords trolly jack and stand set that come with the car creeper.

I use a 1/2 inch drive tengtools torque wrench and there 1/2 inch drive socket set stock number no.9121 which are for air guns so extremely well made!

The wrench goes from 40-210nm

Think I got them both from ffx or something and they are incredible for speedy service!

569bdaef-4a5f-2f98.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar Thread Suggestions