To cup or not to cup...?

B

Bootsock

I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd finally get involved...

Anyway, I know it's a dilemma that many people here have been through, but my question is, relating to the very realistic chance of ordering a FF RS 200, to cup or not to cup for the chassis...

I drive about 300 miles per week (1/2 motor way / 1/2 fun but bumpy B-roads) and worry slightly that the cup chassis might be a bit harsh, I'd love to make my own mind up about it, but unfortunately struggle to find RS200s full stop to try out so either option would be a gamble for me.

So far, colour, Recaro's and black speedlines are decided on, but I just need to decide on the cup chassis or not without getting carried away just because of the red calipers! :wink:

Current motor is an Alfa Mito BTW.

Cup! No point in buying a highly tuned hot hatch if your not gonna do it properly.

If you want comfort buy a golf.

The wife bitches about the hard suspension of the non cup and there are plenty of folk who say the cup is fine on bumpy roads.

So in summary I'd say it doesn't seem to matter.

£400 for a set of red callipers seems to be steep :wink:.

Red calipers often come up on ebay for half that money if you just want them. Or just get yours painted.

The Mito's pretty harsh at the moment anyway, tried the Megane 250 too and was very tempted by that also, but found the Clio to be more exciting to drive. I've had a quick run in a none-cup and found that to be much less harsh than the current Mito.

I'm tempted by the cup because I fancy a bit of track day fun, and of course the red calipers, but in terms of negatives I'm slightly put off the cup chassis by the alignment issues that get mentioned especially on the Evo long termer.

£400 is manageable when I can get 0% finance on the Clio.

I had a cup suspension on my 182 and did alot of business miles, gone for cup suspension on the 200 again.

I have a FF 197 and think the ride is fairly hard, body roll etc is small so I see no real reason to 'upgrade' to the cup.

I painted my calipers red as I liked that on the cup models. Took a couple of days to do them right and cost me about £40 for paint and decals

Definitely Cup and not just because of the red calipers! It's firm alright but it's firm for a reason. Don't worry neither about the alignment issues you've read in Evo, I've had mine for 9 months with no problems at all. If you want a nice cosseting ride, buy a Jag not a 200! :thumbsup:

The 200 non cup is reputedly softer than the 197 non cup. But the 200 cup is harder.

I deffo wanted cup pack on my Gordini. No point sacrificing a better track drive for a few more bumps on our roads.

I went for cup on mine & I do most of my normal weekly 250 miles on B roads around here ; one of the reasons I traded in the Megane R26 was that the ride was just too hard for the p*ss poor state of the Oxfordshire back roads & the car was almost impossible to drive smoothly.

Cup on the clio is not as harsh - it bounces more than thumps - I think I made the correct choice (and it did worry me a bit at the time I ordered it).

I do the same 300 miles a week, mostly motorway ( A1 though ) and often drive bumpy a roads at weekends.

You'll most likely have about 5 minutes a week where you think "god damn this is just too stiff", then the other 119:55:00 you'll be loving it :tongueout:

It is hard but it's worth it, I find mine more comfortable than my old DCI as well.

All the comments and feedback so far are very much appreciated, some good opinions on this topic which help a lot.

This isn't a debate about ff or cup is it? It's whether to spec cup chassis or not?

Correct, FF it would be, just mulling over whether to take the cup chassis or not.

You'll most likely have about 5 minutes a week where you think "god damn this is just too stiff", then the other 119:55:00 you'll be loving it :tongueout:

It is hard but it's worth it, I find mine more comfortable than my old DCI as well.

Lol, I like that response a lot.

Very interesting last point for me on that comment as I've had a DCI Clio II in the past which was a superb little car.

Need to speak to the dealer I think... :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: