Thoughts on the new Conti SC5 ??

I got 2 SC5 on the frout. And i could feel the differences even when the tyres wernt hot. And they are very good in the wet. I do trust them alot. Going to put some on the back soon when i get some money. Got mine for 111.00 each from a tyre company in bristol with my dads discount. But yeah i do recomend them. Was unsure at first when they said about the new tyre. But nothing to worry about. Had them on about a mouth and they still look new :smile:

Last edited:
Just remember that mostly, we all use a tyre for 15K which is slowly degrading then after a new set is fitted instantly feel the performance difference the new ones give as "better".
Of course I am not saying that anyones opinion of a product is wrong, just that this needs to be considered by people gauging reviews.

Just remember that mostly, we all use a tyre for 15K which is slowly degrading then after a new set is fitted instantly feel the performance difference the new ones give as "better".
Of course I am not saying that anyones opinion of a product is wrong, just that this needs to be considered by people gauging reviews.

Very true!

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Autobild-Max-Performance-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Autoreview-Max-Performance-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Reviews well (german tests as well, not the biased uk magazine tests!), but so do the hankooks, which are approx £30 cheaper per corner.

I have to say though; I have the Hankooks on the Corsa and CS5s on the Clio (Different cars I know) but the wet performance of the CS5s greatly out does the Hankooks. Even with plenty of tread on the Hankooks the aquaplaning is shocking, so much so that I'm considering replacing them.

I have to say though; I have the Hankooks on the Corsa and CS5s on the Clio (Different cars I know) but the wet performance of the CS5s greatly out does the Hankooks. Even with plenty of tread on the Hankooks the aquaplaning is shocking, so much so that I'm considering replacing them.

I'd have a look at the pressures, for some reason the hankooks are more sensitive than Goodyear etc, from memory I had to run them a slightly lower pressure on the 172 than michelins.

As you can see from the objective reviews, the hankooks are far from 'shocking' in the wet!

Tyres do also give different performance depending on the car, performance rubber doesn't work well on normal cars and vice versa, the suspension isn't tuned for the stiffer construction of performance rubber.

15k?! Lol I'm on 9k and need new ones!! Lol

Sorry to bump and old thread.

Having 4 fitted on Saturday before my 2800 european road trip, will let you know how I get on.

Will be miles better than at the moment, running some prestivo's on the front and nankang's on the back. God knows why the previous owner put them on, they're shocking in the wet!

Have a nice trip mate^^^ just had two fitted on the front of mine but with the wife driving I am expecting 30000 out of them lol

Evening, ive been quoted for 117 fitted for the SC5? is this a good price on average? rather pay a bit more at a garage than buy the tyre seperatley off the net then have it fitted.
And another thing, the last owner of the car (non-male) had Wanli tyres put on :thumb1: so ive got the 2 fronts are these tyres and my rear passenger, but the rear drivers is a proxy... Sadly its the proxy that is nearing the end of its life and the wanklis(see what i did there) are all going good...thread wise.

Question is if i replace the proxy on its own with a SC5 will it affect the cars handling due to the difference in quality of the tyre?
Thinking it would be a safer bet to put 2 SC5s on instead?

Any helpful feedback welcome.
Cheers

Firstly, 117 fitted is a really good price.

As for which tyre to replace, id say get two new sc5's on the front and then two wanklis on the rear. IMO