Thoughts on the new Conti SC5 ??

Need two new front tyres very soon for the 200. Came with the Continental Sport Contact 3. Can get them just over £100 each.

But I've heard of the newer SC5, anybody used these on a 197 or 200? Whats your feedback?

Or any other tyres you would highly recommend for everyday use + road performance/non track jaunts.

Cheers,

Jim

I've got 'em on the 200. Very good tyre and IMO better than the CS3s. For the money, defiantly the best tyre on the market for the money.

How do they wear compared to the SC3s? IIRC they have a smaller tread depth too?

Only had 'em on for a month and a half (ish). Wear seems on a par with the 3s. Cooler thread pattern though and much better tyre. IMO the car handles a lot better, less understeer etc.

Which would be best for the 200 - 87W or 91W??

Am I right in saying that 91W will have a stiffer side wall for extra load/speed. How will this affects the cars handling? With cup suspension will it make the ride even worse on poor roads?

...I put some on the front about a month ago and have put two on the back today....I must say the wear on the front even after a month is quite noticable when you compare them with todays fitting...I don't drive particularly agressively so it looks like they might be a bit softer......as for handling, I think there is noticable improvement over the 3's. Car feels sharper when turning into a corner....

Toyo have released the new t1sport. I'm tempted to give them a go next. Look like a good tyre

I put a set on as the spring came, so far really happy with them, made about 6k miles since, sure you can tell theyre not new anymore but I do like to use the brembos :smile: gripwise, much better than the sc3 dry/damp/wet - dont ask about snow, get winter tires for that, also the 91W is not really noticably harder than the 87W, they do seem to flex less in the corners, but dont seem to be any harder when going straight, so the ride did not suffer at all, similar to the sc3, no tramlining or anything, really happy with them and would highly recommend,

I know this thread has been 'dead' for a little while, but...

I put SC5 91's on the front of my 200 4 weeks ago, and the only thing ive done on them (pretty much) was a 2500 mile hoon around the alps.

Handling - i think overall they're better than the 3's. The 5's seem to have better initial grip on turn in, maybe because of the stiffer side wall and the grip and feel stays consistent through the turn. When cold i feel they dont quite have the same bite as the 3's but once up to temperature the 5's are far better.

Ride - not noticeable

Wear - i'm not sure on this atm, i got 11500 miles out of my 3's and after the 2500 mile trip i had used up half the tread :smile:. This is not an accurate reflection however as it was a very hard 2500 miles, so will see how they do over the coming months.

Overall, i definatley think they are an upgrade to the 3's and well worth the minimal extra lay out for them.

Anymore opinions on these?

Our 197 will be needing a set in the next few weeks and I'm not sure if I should stick with 3's or try the 5's