Thinking about getting a 200.....

Hi folks,

As the title says i'm thinking about getting a RS200 and just have a couple of questions;

1.Took one out for a test drive this afternoon, the car has delivery miles only and was wondering if the engine free's up much as it felt rather tight and not especially quick.

2. The car kangaroo'd at one point, is this a common issue? And for those that are living with it, does it p**s you off at all?

3. The car had the standard seats and the position felt a little high, do the Recaro's sit any lower?

Hey Loz,

The Kangarooing is an issue when the engine is cold, it will also be down a lot on power until its warmed up sufficiently.
I have to sit for 5 - 10 mins to let the engine warm up before i can set off.
It used to p**s the hell out of me but the car is so good once its on song i let it off :thumbsup:
I have a 197 but the engine is the same, the 200 has a few more tweeks!

I have the Recaros and they did feel high when i first got the car, not so much now.
They are so much better than the standard seats and well worth looking for a car that has them.

The engine will undoubtedly fee up the more miles you do. While the car is fast it does need to be reved up to the limit which you cannot do with a new car.

If you like hot hatches this is the best and you will be very happy with the car.
As long as you can live with the Renault build quality that is!

I hope you choose to join the revolution and if you do that you are happy with your decision.

Last edited:
Hi Loz,

I can't answer the first question as I didn't have mine from new

Kangarooing is a common problem on a cold engine, it shouldn't do it when warm though. It's not meant to be much of a problem on the 200, it's more of a problem on the 197 and I cope with it ok.

The recaros actually sit a little higher than the standard seats, i assume you set the standard seats at their lowest position?

Hi Loz,

As Ben has said above. The Recaros would be nice, but the standard seats do the job excellently. Kangerooing is worse at certain times, so can sometimes catch you out, which is more annoying than the actual kangerooing! Lol! But if you let the car warm up it stops. When the engine is run in and warm it should be quicker. Handling is the Clios biggest strong point though.

Cold starts are not a problem on the 200 if you use 99 Ron fuel. The dealer is probably using low grade 95 Ron fuel.

197 is considerably worse on cold start.

Cant believe you have to heat the engine!!! Just give it a hug!? Share body heat - better than £340 for an electric blanket lmao!

:-p

I can assure you Loz its not a problem and hardly noticeable when you get familiar with the car!

If straight line speed is what you're after - avoid the 200 :wink:

if you are going to be using the car mostly in a town / traffic - Avoid the 200.

If you are going to be mainly on a/b roads - Get a 200 - you wont regret it.

Interestingly my 200 never kangaroos from cold in the morning - but when I come home it can kangaroo for the first 300 yards or so :confused1: (controllable with careful accelerator / clutch adjustments)

My 200 does so slightly for the first mile or two, at first I thought it was my crap clutch control having come from a dci where you can drop the clutch in most gears with or without throttle.

I've come to learn it's just one of those Renault quirks, I drive around it by just releasing the clutch slower once at the biting point just for the first few miles.

Cant believe you have to heat the engine!!! Just give it a hug!? Share body heat - better than £340 for an electric blanket lmao!

:-p

I can assure you Loz its not a problem and hardly noticeable when you get familiar with the car!

It's getting stupid mate

1. It feels much better once ran in for a bit. I'm on 5k and it's like a different car
2. It's very occasional, not enough to put you off buying one, believe me
3. The standard seats are height adjustable. Were they set high in the test drive? I have them at the moment and think they're pretty good for standard tbh

Thanks for all the replies chaps, very helpfull indeed.

After all of you're comments I think it's the car for me.

I'll be using it mainly for a 20 minute b road drive to work with the odd blat at the weekends.

Currently driving an S3 which partly explains why it felt a little slow in a straight line. The wife has now commondeered the Audi as we have recently had a new addition to the family.

Interesting that the Recaro's are mounted higher than the std seats, thought it would be the other way round.

If the kangeroo-ing is only when it's cold then I think I can put up with that. Ticked the DSG box when ordering the Audi and, although it's a great gearbox, I can't wait to get my mits on a manual again.

Think i'll go for the full fat with the cup pack, not sure about colour yet. Any other hints on options will be gratefully received.

Can't comment on 1. - haven't really had it long enough.

2. I have only experienced it once, but I'm particularily careful on the clutch and accellerator when cold.

3. I have standard seats, in their lowest position they are great (I'm 6'2, still got loads of head room) didn't go for recaros as on a day to day basis with the cup chassis and the roads I drive on my spine would be shattered. Standards still hug and hold you in very well, and are mighty comfortable.

Black speedlines are a must! :-p

Ha an S3 well theres your problem! Ive got out of an S3 8p and into an 200 and simply its not going to feel fast in a straight line by comparism, Its got no turbo and just doesnt kick like the Audi but its alot lighter alot more involved and will turn harder and faster, I know the S3 has a haldex 4wd but changind direction quickly you can really feel its weight and although rapid in most situations its just too clinical rarely makes you giggle once you get used to the acceleration the clio is so much more fun! and youve always got the audi on the drive if you want it, Have you looked at anything else?

Pete

Must have option is the Bluetooth stereo.
Spec a spoiler, finishes the rear off, Cup if you're a hooligan, GT for style and understated (mine).
Colour wise, can't go wrong with any really. If you want to get noticed, Liquid Yellow or Alien Green. I went for Pearl White which, again, is understated, but a little bit different.
Last one - wheels. Black speedlines all the way for me. Don't think anything else comes close

Had my 200 cup since June, and it never kangaroos (I use Tesco Momentum, don't know if that makes a difference). Of course the engine is not fully responsive until it has warmed up.
The seat hight is adjustable, I have my Recaros set as low as they will go.
Wait till it's warmed up, wind the windows down, then take it to max revs, and wait for the beep, the engine noise, exhaust noise, and acceleration is thrilling.
As others have said, it sticks to the road like glue - trouble these days is other drivers will slow you down, and spoil you fun on twisty roads. (Why do people go 40 in 60 zones when there is no reason for it?)