Type r owner thinking of getting clio 200

Hi. I've joined this forum to gather abit of info on the clio 200. I currently have a 2007 civic type r and I fancy a change. Has anyone moved from a type r to a clio and what's your opinions? I'd definitely get a Full fat clio 200 preferably with the cup chassis.

Welcome to the forum!
I never owned one but I test drove a few before buying the R27, how are they to drive long term? Only ever got about 15 minutes out in it at a time.
Plenty of info on here if you need it or need any questions answered.
A 200 with cup chassis sounds good, if you want recaro's make sure you buy one with them in as they're an expensive item to buy afterwards.

Hi mate and welcome, I had the same dilemma when looking for a new motor, I came up from a clio 182 and went right across the hot hatch board.. Corsa vxr, Honda typeR, fiesta ST, skoda vrs? Is it.. That hideous Citroen ds3r but each has their pro's and cons really some looks some the stereo type of driver (if that bothers you) some ride and handling etc.. The clio 200 with cup chassis is clear cut the best drivers car, it's reasonably basic but corners like a Tron bike with good tyres.. Fair do's it lacks the turbo 'umph' and 'tuneability' IMO it's the best looking with a few subtle mods and as above^ recaros are a nice touch and are surprisingly comfortable I like them better than the Vauxhall ones, they're cheap ish to buy with really low miles and the build quality doesn't seem very 'renault' at all. Performance in a straight line is probably not much different to what you're used to with the type R but your confidence will be greater when you get the feel of one.. I love mine and haven't looked away from it as of yet had it nearly a year and still love it which is rare for me.. Hope this helped

Do it mate and you won't look back. As LAninetyone said the only down bit is the lack of torque something that you have with the type R anyway. But apart from that you can't really fault it for what it is. Buy one with Recaros and cup chassis if you are focused, if not and you are looking to put kids and wife in test drive one first, some people find it a bit stiff.

Thanks for the replies. I've got coilovers on the civic so I'd be looking for a full fat one preferably with the cup chassis but if not I'd just get some coilovers to put on it. I do a fair but of motorway miles but love to have a good handling car that I can chuck around when I'm not commuting and the clio is looking perfect to me. A few of you may think why am I changing but I just like to change cars every now and again.

I moved from a 2004 JCW Mini Cooper S to a 2007 Civic Type R to a 2010 Clio RS200.
My cars spend about 20-30 days a year on track & 3-4 days a week doing road use.

IMO the JCW was the standout road car, the RS is easily the best track car & the Type R was a nicely built but overweight feeling road car with a nice engine but is inferior to the others in all ways.

The RS is definitely a much more hardcore package to the fn2 Type R.
Hope that helps.

I think you've made my mind up Steve. I'll get a 200 :smile: Just need to get my number plate took off the civic then I can advertise it.

95% of the driving I do in mine is on the motorway, it's a lovely smooth car for commuting and if you get Recaro's they are so unbelievably comfortable.
Good luck with your search, if you become a paid member there are always cars popping up in the for sale section, properly looked after and in amazing condition.

Hi. I just bought a clio 197 and my previous cars were ep3 civic type r's.
Based on a standard ep3 the clio doesn't seem as quick and has more body roll than the civic but seems to have more grip.
The power band isn't as exciting as v tec either but the clio also loves to rev and pulls well through the gears.
Most of my driving is in the town and the clio is a far more comfortable to drive as the suspension in the type r's can be really harsh over bumps and crappy roads but the clio just soaks them up.
My previous type r was highly modified and was running 240 bhp 172 lb/ft fully polybushed on tein coilovers with full geometry etc so wasn't expecting much from the little clio but to be honest it's a cracking little car.

Hi. I just bought a clio 197 and my previous cars were ep3 civic type r's.
Based on a standard ep3 the clio doesn't seem as quick and has more body roll than the civic but seems to have more grip.
The power band isn't as exciting as v tec either but the clio also loves to rev and pulls well through the gears.
Most of my driving is in the town and the clio is a far more comfortable to drive as the suspension in the type r's can be really harsh over bumps and crappy roads but the clio just soaks them up.
My previous type r was highly modified and was running 240 bhp 172 lb/ft fully polybushed on tein coilovers with full geometry etc so wasn't expecting much from the little clio but to be honest it's a cracking little car.

Mine is like driving a brick over harsh roads, no soak at all lol.

I wouldn't go from an FN2 to a 200 and equally I wouldn't go from a 200 to an FN2, too similar to warrant the hassle and risk of a used car purchase, unless it's a ****ter you have now.

I actually looked at buying an FN2 a couple of weeks ago when I had a scare that my 2nd steering rack had failed. Thought enough is enough and I'll just buy the same but from Honda basically, thinking to improve the build and general reliability. But given I would want at least a 10 plate to get the diff and similar age with low miles to the Clio, we're talking 12k+ to buy. Luckily the rack was fine so confidence in the Clio was restored. It also seems synchros are just as much a week point on FN2's as they are with our Clios.

I think as standard you'll find that despite how good the chassis is on the 200 (and it really is when you are on it), you'll find though the pace lacking in a straight line. And it is not easy to tune like an FN2. I mean fit an RRC, exh manifold, Tegiwa induction, cams, Flash pro, FD2 oil pump setup and you'll run 260bhp in an FN2.

Don't get me wrong the 200 is a cracking car and I it think looks nicer, but imo swapping a pretty focussed NA fwd hatch for another of the same ilk seems a pointless.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Having had both and loved both preffered the ep3 to drive and the fn2 for refinement but having had the clio now for 6months you get used to the lack of simple comforts when you find a nice stretch of road with plenty of tricky bends, easily out classes the fn2 in road holding, still see plenty of fn2's on the road and do miss that vtec kick!