Thinking of getting a clio 200, advice please

Hi,

Thinking of getting a Clio 200 but need a little help.

I have test drove one and I know its amazing, I currently have a cooper s r56 but its just not as much fun to drive as I expected and after a year I find I am really getting bored of it.

Thing is I live in Harrogate near leads but work down in St Albans 3 days a week , meaning a 203 mile drive every Tuesday and Thursday. So what mpg can I expect sitting motorway at about 70 - 80mph?

I know it wont hit the 45 I get from the mini, but I do get a contribution from work towards my fuel, so as long as I can get say mid 30's on a long run like that I should be ok.

What u recon lads?

really!! wow that's a lot worse than I thought.

I mean I knew that it wouldn't be as good as the manufacture extra urban figure of 44.1, but 24....... thats miles off!

How many miles you getting to a tank mate?

Unless you are red lining it everywhere you should see 34MPG max on a long trip and around 25MPG if you are going for it.

I have never had mine below 24MPG and until recently I was going every where flat out, but a talking to put a stop to that.

Also I think I get something like 380 miles out of a tank of Vpower, £60 or thereabouts to fill her up.

Last edited:
I do LOTS of motorway miles every week and I normally average around 33mpg at those speeds. Throw in a few long 50mph average speed check sections and it can creep upto 37mpg occationally.

Come off onto A & B roads and it soon drops back to 31mpg though..!

If I'm doing short hoons around without any cruising I struggle to get more than 26mpg...

ok fair enough, well I can live with 33/4 on the motorway. I mean I will literally just set the cruise to 75 and sit there.

25 while thrashing it is fine as well, I don't mind paying to have fun but 200 miles on the motorway, i mind paying for that as its boring as hell

I'm getting 27mpg on average around town. Great car but I'm still arguing with the gearbox. For some reason I'm missing the Trophy gearbox now as it just seemed to slip in to gear a lot easier when stonking it.......

i think the gearbox is the only let down on the 197 / 200 a nice paddle shift sequential wouldve done the job just nicely i wudnt have minded paying the extra

i think the gearbox is the only let down on the 197 / 200 a nice paddle shift sequential wouldve done the job just nicely i wudnt have minded paying the extra

Amen

It seemed so much better on the test drive, but its bugging the *** outta me now

really you want paddle's?

I test drove the new seat Ibiza cupra with the dsg paddles and its ****, i mean yer smooth changes but it still does it on its own if left in high revs more than like 7 seconds and to me it takes abit of the feeling out of things not having a clutch

oldly i like to be able to screew it up, means its more rewarding when you nail a series of turns up and down the gears

i just love paddles lol gallardo superleggera made me fall in love with them . . . . 90 mph 4th gear drop down 2 "gorgeous noise" no brakes hard right straight back on the power and boots u in the back like nothin uve fealt before no let up off the gas just flick the paddles what more do you want?

I get 24 MPG on a bit of a thrash, 25/26 MPG on average and 35-37 MPG on the motorway. I think if you keep it below 75 MPH you should be able to manage that. I was annoyed with my car earlier, kangerooing really badly. Should be ok on a 200 though.

If you drive lots of miles then the clios not for you the gearing and therefore the high revs will soon get tiresome and boaring.

Also I have found it quite hard to live with .

Hence my upcoming change

I personally love the cooper S my mate has a lohen or logen can't remember tunned one goes like stink . Love the noise too .

its the ecu adjusting from the extreme weather hot one day freezing cold the next thats all arran. knock the esp off for 5 minutes while u warm it up that does the trick for me.

I do quite a few motorway miles, normally turn on the cruise control and sit at 70mph (while i eat my haribo and drink my cans of rockstar to stay awake - hate motorway driving tbh lol) normally get around 35mpg with that. As was said for everyday driving it's more like 23-24mpg

its the ecu adjusting from the extreme weather hot one day freezing cold the next thats all arran. knock the esp off for 5 minutes while u warm it up that does the trick for me.

It was the worst it has ever been, usually when I get it in 2nd it just bobble down to the end of my road and then it's fine. But in second tonight it felt like I was jabbing at the brakes! I must have looked a right fool! I tried the ESP thing after someone suggeted it but I couldn't tell you if it made a difference because I only switched it off after the worst and it warmed up to the point I usually get to with it by then.

I'm ringing up tomorrow to book it in at Renault Wolverhampton, I've got a list of things I want them to look at, this being one of them! :thumb1:

ok fair enough, well I can live with 33/4 on the motorway. I mean I will literally just set the cruise to 75 and sit there.

25 while thrashing it is fine as well, I don't mind paying to have fun but 200 miles on the motorway, i mind paying for that as its boring as hell

Actually mate some of these judgements are from 197 owners and the economy is better on the 200 than the 197. I've owned a 197 and (and now have a 200). I did a lot of motorway miles in the 197 and generally the best you'll stretch to is 34-35mpg at 70mph.

In a 200 the gear ratio's are slightly taller and also the engine is revised with a bigger cylinder head which helps further with economy and emissions.

If you run on V-Power you should get upwards of 35mpg at those speeds. Things improve as the engine beds in. If you drive respectfully in a 200 you will see 26-28 mpg around town and up to 40 mpg on A/B roads and 32-38 mpg on a motorway.

I hope that helps :0)