Thinking of getting a 197

Hello, I'm sure you've heard and replied to thousands of posts like this. but basically I'm looking at getting a new car early next year and a 197 is looking pretty promising at the moment, maybe even an R27. I'm also considering a clio trophy.
Basically just wondering if you could tell me if there's any common faults/ issues 197's seems to suffer from and what you actually like about your car. try not to be biased :s
Thanks
Adam

Nothing wrong with mine so far touch wood.

Power is nice to have

the thing that I love is that you never see them about unlike the vxr's which you see every 5 minutes. Yawn!

That's exactly what I think. There's an albi blue 197 that goes to my gym but that's the only one I've seen in my area. How do you find yours in fuel? I've heard they are pretty poor and mine would be for a daily driver

I have had my 197 Cup for nearly 4 months now, covered just shy of 4k miles.....

Things i like.....

Handling; on a twisty road it's sublime. The car soaks up the bumps and camber changes perfectly and the mid corner speed which you can achieve with these cars is quite impressive. I am only running Conti Sport 3 tyres so nothing too fancy; i can't begin to imagine what the car would feel like with a more aggressive tyre.

Engine; past 5k it really pulls hard to the red line.

Rarity; as already mentioned by another member you don't see many 197's around. My local area is a wash with VXR's etc.....

Things i don't like....

Fuel economy; i can't achieve any more than 27mpg but i only use my car during the evenings and weekends because i don't need it for work.

Try a couple of examples, Cup & Non Cup and see which you prefer. Having sampled a Corsa VXR, Astra VXR, EP3 Civic R, Focus ST i found the Clio was much more engaging to drive and suited my driving style more. I couldn't recommend one highly enough.

Get one, you'll love it, never looked back since I got mine.

Test drive the car first, go through the gears, 3rd and 4th should engage properly, if they crunch, its a new gearbox, so make sure the car you have doesn't have that. Exhaust manifolds go easy, they're easy to hear if they have gone. Hub Ball joints can go, not as easy to check.

I've had my R27 since the start of May this year and I don't regret it one bit. I love the way it looks - the flared arches and vents, red Brembo calipers, rear diffuser etc. And the Recaros are the knees of the bee.

They handle brilliantly and the way the engine pulls above 5k rpm is addictive. The standard exhaust note is also very nice, even below 3k rpm it sounds good.

Fuel economy, in my experience, is really not that bad and nowhere near as horrific as I thought it would be. I use mine as a daily driver (10 mile round trip, town driving) with at least one good run out per week, and I get low 30s mpg.

The forum buyers guide is very, very good.

I've just had a read of that buyers guide. I'm a mechanic so I would be doing most of the repairs myself. I read in the guide that the power steering units can cost around 1000 big ones ! I understand these are electric motors? Anyone had to replace theirs? and do the gearboxes have an expiry mileage or are they prone to breaking due to the driving ?
thanks for the replies

gearbox is hit and miss. Same with steering racks really even though this issue is not as common as the gearbox one. I changed mine under warranty, they are not that expensive, brand new costs £350.

Welcome I have had a civic type r fn2, golf mk5 gti now own a Clio 197 all I can say you will not be disappointed with owning one they are great fun a lot of cr for the money go out and test drive one

I couldnt recommend another car for the money that would put a smile on your face every time you drive it mate. I am a mechanic also so get to drive various amounts of cars and I love the clio. Had a couple of clio sports before the 197 and the engines on all I have had have been bulletproof. GET ONE you wont be disappointed. Try get one with recaros tho only thing I wish I had done different :wink:

sadly I'm a commercial mechanic so the best I get to drive are a few nice trucks and lots of vans. I would like to find a nice 197 with recaros if I can. I've seen that they are quite prone to the side bolters collapsing or something. Does this happen to all of them after lots of use or only certain ones?

sadly I'm a commercial mechanic so the best I get to drive are a few nice trucks and lots of vans. I would like to find a nice 197 with recaros if I can. I've seen that they are quite prone to the side bolters collapsing or something. Does this happen to all of them after lots of use or only certain ones?

Depends if you are either on the large side or you make contact with the bolster when you get in and out. I don't have the Recaro's but my seats have some slight wear from the previous owners.... i never manage to make contact with the bolster when getting in and out of the car. Not sure how people do to be honest.