Starter motor foobard

parkincj

Paid Member
Evening all!

So I've driven to the shops after work fine, got back in the car and the starter motor was dead. Managed to bump it and get it home. Got the multimeter out
and theres 13v at the battery but couldn't get any readings off the starter motor. Fuse is fine and tried bypassing the wires straight to the battery but nothing.

The alarm bleeps 3 times on locking but the car is capable of starting so I think it can't be the immobiliser.

I've left it in the garage tonight in the hope that the ridiculous rain has soaked something and a good dry out will just sort out. Pretty wishfull thinking I know!

Any thoughts guys?

You may well be right there the weather is soaking everything so hopefully it's the cause but there have been a few starter motor failures

Mine was replaced twice under warranty . once due to failure, then again because Renault fitted the replacement so that the cable was rubbing on the heat sheild

Hmmm they aren't uncommon to fail, seem to be getting more and more reports of such a thing as these cars start to get older, along with the dreaded fuel pump and god forbid con rod failures!

I replaced mine last year myself, belief it's about £250 for the part and fitting it is abit tight between that manifold, would be tough without a pit or lift.

I'm guna take a proper look on Sunday and make sure it's definitely not wiring, otherwise take it off and do a bench test. Can anyone suggest where to get spares? I don't fancy paying dealership prices and they'd probably find some way to make it catastrophically late anyway.

Forgot to post, sorted this out Monday night with a new starter motor. 50 quid off a scrapped 197. Would have preferred to put a new one on but I needed it on the road for work so had to get one on quick.

Cheers for all the advice, let's hope the fuel pump isn't next.