Starter motor picture

R20BTG

Paid Member
Does anyone have a picture of the starter motor installed with the manifold in place? I’m trying to gauge how much space is around it as I’m looking into heat wraps or shielding (in addition to what’s there already). As you can probably guess I’ve killed another one and I’m looking to engineer some longevity and reliability into the setup

Thanks

I wish I knew the answer. Probably the shitty exposed wires. I’ve got a brand new OEM one waiting to go on, the one that I had fitted last time was a reconditioned Bosch unit

5ae6db52c82ec16d45bfb2ba9c371c81.jpg

eb5cb80cc7e2936b46b3a22983fe6d90.jpg

I’m going to try and wrap the unit itself but also see if I can do something to properly thermally insulate the exposed wires.

Reactions: burrellbloke
Thanks, looks like they’re trying to protect the body of the motor rather than the wiring at the end. I think I’ll try and do both.

Reactions: Tarticmonkey
See if you can get some heat protection on the brazed wire connections that’s where they seem to fail

See if you can get some heat protection on the brazed wire connections that’s where they seem to fail

What’s your plan? My concern is creating something that then shorts on the manifold / heat shield, RT125 epoxy is used in harnesses which might be an option to create something that shields and protects

My plan is to remove the brazing and maybe add some crimped terminals on each end. Drill through the tabs of the motor and create a system where the wire terminals are bolted rather than brazed. Then I plan to wrap the whole length of that wire with heat wrap. Then also wrap the body with a Funk Motorsport wrap.

Reactions: LiamP
I have found this where Renault recommend rotating the connector 20 degrees in the R3, hard to visualise but I assume this gives a tiny bit more clearance to the engine.

Attachments

• BT_R3_29_FR.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 24