Speed awareness course

I THINK I may have just been caught out speeding :worried:. Before I get any snotty comments I'm not on here for sympathy, I should have been speeding.

It wasn't an intentional decision, I simply went from a 40 to a 30mph zone (same stretch of main road) and didn't immediately slow down (the van was about 200yards in to the 30zone), it was more so out of habit since they've only recently reclassified that section 30mph, but oh well.

Aaaanyway, I'm HOPING that I can get on to a speed awareness course rather than the points. So I thought I'd see who on here has done one of these courses?

What was the limit?
What speed were you caught doing?

I'm gutted really as I was looking for a second (track biases) car soon, but having points on my licence will hike up the insurance quote on that :worried:

You never know certain parts of the country have differant speeds some are 10% others are 10%+ 3 or 4 it's madness
Not been on one but know loads who have and they say they are ok
Better than poi ts

My missus Vicky Schumacher got caught speeding and opted for the speed awareness course.

She got caught doing 43 in a 30, she paid for the course. No Points. and got chatted up by a copper...result as far as she was concerned lol

Ha I'll not mention that to the missus, she'll be speeding everywhere!

I was doing <40mph I would say as I'd just gone past a 40mph speed camera and then backed off the throttle. (the fixed Cam and the Van were only about 400yrds apart!)

given the error in the speedo and the 10%+ allowance, there's a good chance you weren't actually snapped

given the error in the speedo and the 10%+ allowance, there's a good chance you weren't actually snapped

I like your optimism :thumbup:

There was no flash, but it was the middle of the day so I'm not sure if they flash every time?

One things for certain I'll be watching my speed when changing from one zone to another in future!

Sounds to me like the vans there for the very reason of catching people doing exactly that. But you never know.

If you've been caught speeding before you won't be offered a course, it's a one time conditional offer.

And does your local area offer the course? Up here in Scotland you just get the mandatory points and fine. No options up here.

It depends completely on what your area does- I got caught doing exactly 40 in a 30 for a very similar reason to yours and was told I had to be doing 39 or below to be allowed on the course. So I had to swallow 3 points :worried: BUT other areas have different rules so you will find out when you get your notification through the post (if you were caught of course).. Also worth noting is that the +10% doesn't always count with these new cameras- my step dad was on a course with someone unlucky enough to be charged with doing 32 in a 30, how pathetic!!

Last edited:
According to google s.yorkshire police have a 10% +6mph criteria for the course (39mph in the zone I was in). I've got a clean licence, and I've never had points in the past either so I'm hoping I get given the benefit of the doubt, or I'm lucky enough to not have been stung....

north yorkshire area get offered speed awareness course if, you admit you were driving and return the paperwork within 28days from the date of the notice, no further offences have happened since the date of the offence, you havent attended a speed awareness course in the last 3 years, and you were driving between the following:
30mph limit - 35-42
40 limit - 46-53
50 - 57-64
60 - 68-75
70 - 79-86

i know this as i got caught and then offered the speed awareness course two weeks ago lol.

Thanks for the info Andy, I was in the work van so I just need to keep an eye out for the post now. As if I miss the letter it gets posted to Head Office in Ireland!

...I think you will be ok as you were slowing as you approached the van and doing less than 40 anyway....

mine was in the company car which went to head office in london, passed onto my office in stockton then to my home address.
the 28 day period starts the day its addressed to your home, so if you have been caught hopefully you get offered the course.
i'm on mine 17th december £83 quid but better than points, n you never know it might be interesting