sluggish car- help!

So.. got to the garage after work and they had some bad news... the sensor apparently isn't the problem, that was all fine. Now they're saying its going to be pretty much £700 because its the dephazer pulley timing belt and water pump that needs replacing? so they're computer that talks to the car was saying. So i was told all good mechanics do the cam belt at this time also because you loose the tension in the belts and won't run the same putting same one back on (not advised)? my logbook is saying that the cam belt and vvt pulley was done on the 12/02/14 (before i bought it) and i got the aux belt and tensioner done on the 3/11/14 along with a service on the usual sparks plugs, oil and oil filter in december. I'm not sure if these are all the same thing or what! If anyone can reassure or shed some light that this is the problem then it would help me but i can't see it being any sort of belt that is causing the issue that I'm having?

Last edited:
So.. got to the garage after work and they had some bad news... the sensor apparently isn't the problem, that was all fine. Now they're saying its going to be pretty much £700 because its the dephazer pulley timing belt and water pump that needs replacing? so they're computer that talks to the car was saying. So i was told all good mechanics do the cam belt at this time also because you loose the tension in the belts and won't run the same putting same one back on (not advised)? my logbook is saying that the cam belt and vvt pulley was done on the 12/02/14 (before i bought it) and i got the aux belt and tensioner done on the 3/11/14 along with a service on the usual sparks plugs, oil and oil filter in december. I'm not sure if these are all the same thing or what! If anyone can reassure or shed some light that this is the problem then it would help me but i can't see it being any sort of belt that is causing the issue that I'm having?

hows does the computer know the vvt pulley is faulty?

its controlled with oil pressure from the vvt solenoid near to no1 spark plug...sure its not that that's faulty?

hows does the computer know the vvt pulley is faulty?

its controlled with oil pressure from the vvt solenoid near to no1 spark plug...sure its not that that's faulty?

is the vvt pulley known as the dephazer? my bad if this sounds dumb lol i don't know how the computer flagged up with this but there is no light on my dash which i though there would be being something like that?

Dephaser is a variable pulley on the inlet camshaft, when the solenoid opens oil passes through the camshaft and into the dephaser pulley, this alters the advance on the opening of the inlet valves.

most things I'm reading about the dephaser pulley is there should be some noise on start up? i have no noise on start up at all, sometimes the revs are low then go up to normal but thats it? I'm soo confused. don't fancy spending out 700 sheets then that not be the problem. my car hasn't done it to the extent it did the other day. but haven't drove it as much

Update... my engine was juddering on idle and low speed after work today so took it straight to the garage whilst it was happening to get a live diagnostic as it were lol! They plugged it in and probed around (the car that is), checked the crankshaft sensor and that was reading a steady pattern on the snap on computer, and the solenoid was working too. My god the engine was moving around a bit! The guy deleted the error code stored from last time and the same thing flagged up again, dephaser issue:worried: The computer showed movement in the pulley when revving the engine so that pretty much confirms it. I still don't understand how it comes and goes. Only happens when engine is warm. best get some pennies together for the cambelt, dephaser, water pump all to be done. fingers crossed its that which is causing my car to run like crap otherwise its a waste of £700!

Mate had a cs sensor go on his too. Although if this goes it does normally mean the engine won't start altogether. Has it fixed it?

Mate had a cs sensor go on his too. Although if this goes it does normally mean the engine won't start altogether. Has it fixed it?
Ive not had a new camshaft sensor fitted as its still reading a constant signal so its working fine, wish it was that tho as £60 is better than 700 ha

it might be worth removing the dephaer solenoid and making sure its not clogged/dirty..worth a try

and also check the wiring that goes over the top of the timing cover to the solenoid - could be a broken/worn wire

it might be worth removing the dephaer solenoid and making sure its not clogged/dirty..worth a try

and also check the wiring that goes over the top of the timing cover to the solenoid - could be a broken/worn wire

the guys removed the solenoid and it made no difference to the running and pretty sure he tried operating it manually and still no difference:worried: but i will go out and have another look at the wiring and check for **** in the connector! cheers!

if the actual solenoid is removed you cannot run the engine as its in the oil feed to the cams/hydraulic lifters!

don't confuse the "connecter" with the actual solenoid - the connector plugs on to the end of the solenoid - the solenoid is held with 1 bolt
that holds no1 spark coil in place

if the actual solenoid is removed you cannot run the engine as its in the oil feed to the cams/hydraulic lifters!

don't confuse the "connecter" with the actual solenoid - the connector plugs on to the end of the solenoid - the solenoid is held with 1 bolt
that holds no1 spark coil in place

ah ok my bad [MENTION=29]foxspeed[/MENTION] , I'm saying the connector was disconnected then, am i able to simply just undo the bolt and have a look at the solenoid? or is it more than just undo the bolt, take it out and have a look?

Thanks everyone for helping me out with this, much appreciated!

Last edited:
[MENTION=29]foxspeed[/MENTION] I had a look at the solenoid, everything looked very clean, but if your familiar with it, you know the thin ring of small sections of metal mesh about half way down, it had a section of mesh missing from it? i looks like there was mesh there but its ripped out? i don't think that would make a difference to how its running but is it worth getting a new one or is it meant to be like that?