sluggish car- help!

My car the last couple of days has been acting very strange, its not so much on start up but its when the cars been going for a couple miles, its almost cutting out when on idle, sounds as if its not getting enough fuel/ misfiring. (it feels almost like the car is going to stall) this also happens when going around corners slowly, low down in revs almost like i need to change into first again. thats the only way i can describe whats happening! also it feels like there is a loss of power, when i put my foot down there is a delay to it actually moving and sounds like its struggling to get the engine to rev up to get going! ill put my foot down one min and it will be fine then a minute later ill try again and it just won't go anywhere or will take a few seconds to respond to my foot on the gas, foot to the floor aswell! so if someone can give me some idea of whats going on that would be great! no engine management lights either!

These cars have a flat spot from 2.5k to 3k revs usually. You have probably just realised it's there? Have you changed the exhaust system at all or had a decat. A remap will sort out the flat spot and improve drivability.

These cars have a flat spot from 2.5k to 3k revs usually. You have probably just realised it's there? Have you changed the exhaust system at all or had a decat. A remap will sort out the flat spot and improve drivability.

Ive had the car for a year and a half now and its def not the flat spot, i can feel the car guddering to get going when i put my foot down, only the last 2 days. and I've got the same original exhaust system! :worried:

Bit of a stab in the dark here, but when were the spark plugs last changed? Could it be that they are playing up?

In relation to Stephen's comment, the link for the thread on the zip tie fix is here

Bit of a stab in the dark here, but when were the spark plugs last changed? Could it be that they are playing up?

In relation to Stephen's comment, the link for the thread on the zip tie fix is here

spark plugs were done about 3/4k miles ago. this crossed my mind also!

UPDATE; been to the garage this morning and they plugged it into their computer, flagged up a crankshaft sensor. only £60 to sort that so worth a shot being a very cheap option before anything drastic! thanks for ur replies. i don't know any different but hopefully the sensor seems like a good way to go? would that make sense being the problem?

I can't comment on whether that will be the solution, however for that price it's certainly worth it for a starting point. And hopefully it will be the fix for you!

Maybe take your throttle body off bud when you get a chance and give it a clean maybe alot of crap in it! That sometimes makes the revs drop right down to about 5-700 rpm making it feel as though it's about to stall!

Maybe take your throttle body off bud when you get a chance and give it a clean maybe alot of crap in it! That sometimes makes the revs drop right down to about 5-700 rpm making it feel as though it's about to stall!

ah ok didn't even think of that but its worth doing even if it is the sensor thats the problem, are they very hard to take off? whats the best way to clean it?

ah ok didn't even think of that but its worth doing even if it is the sensor thats the problem, are they very hard to take off? whats the best way to clean it?

Some people take them off, others leave them on to clean them. This thread will give you a little bit of info on doing it.

Wouldnt have thought a dirty tb would make it that sluggish, however its worth doing anyway, you dont even need to takeit off, justmremove the airpipe and a bit of carb cleaner on the inside of the plenum.

[MENTION=29138]Chris91[/MENTION] not sluggish bud! But when my old 172 throttle body was dirty the revs dropped down to about 5-600 rpm and felt as tho the car was going to cut out at idle and when coming up to junctions, after I cleaned the tb it was fine. Renaults are usually quite bad for crank sensor issues.

ok thanks for the replies! Ill see what happens once the sensor is sorted. I had a look to see what the symptoms are with a dodgy crankshaft sensor and it seems to be pretty much whats happening to me. If that doesn't sort it then with be cleaning my tb sooner rather than later lol

Last edited:
What fuel you using? Has it sat for a while.

i would check the following.
plugs
coil packs
filters
injectors for leaks
compresion test