Silverstone Edition 200 - AST 5100

Lovely. Surprised you had to make the hole bigger though. I’ve not heard mention of that before

So back from another trip to the Nurbugring, all in one piece.

Frist three days were VERY wet. Always had a fear of going out on this track in the wet but still went for it. Took the track wheels in the back of the car so thankfully I was going out on PS4s. Went fine, just took it canny:

7686471-f248513762231283805d0301e52c0dfd.jpg
7688648-0d0c885742ffe176ab919ca639f8cc5b.jpg
7686473-107accb10a9d3de2a0430973e012e8e7.jpg
Little clip from the day (head to 2:47). You can see how easy I'm taking it. On the dry line which is so slippy in the wet but still fun. :jimmy: and the car sounds great!

Did eventually dry up and got four dry laps in. More picture spam:

7718868-d5f24c14f06b035832a93f9edc37a3f3.jpg
7713418-e518800a97a6976b97eec6e41e941311.jpg
7701194-54aa21b5bf92714cad206fd975321224.jpg
7695609-182cf66b973ec66ca2f33477138dcffc.jpg

All in all good trip. Couple problem have arisen, one being a squeak in the steering when straightening up from big locks at low speed. Think one of the N/S ball joints need replacing and the coilovers need raised a bit as its too low for the high compressions of Fuchsröhre and breitscheid. Could hear a bit of rubbing which resulted in this:

IMG_0033.JPG

O/S wheel arch worn through, better get a new one!

Attachments

• thumb_7688648-0d0c885742ffe176ab919ca639f8cc5b.jpg
    thumb_7688648-0d0c885742ffe176ab919ca639f8cc5b.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 23
  • racetracker_7695609_115852.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 22
So getting ready for this year. Suspension components require a bit of attention. New ball joints currently being fitted courtesy of Rene and his uprated ones, got one side almost finished just waiting on some poweflex bushes for the wishbone and new anti rotation links. Not too bad a job, just need access to a hydraulic press. Also made some bushes on a lathe to assist pushing them in and out (idea stolen from the how to on here)

IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_9672.JPG

Also giving the brakes a bit of a refresh. New HC discs on the front along with some DS1.11 pads, excited to try these out and see how they compare to the DS2500s. Also wanting to get the brakes sent away for refurb and repaint in yellow but this will have to wait another month or so. New Mr Pink pins to fit also.

IMG_3774.JPG

Last but not least some shock covers fitted to add a bit of protection to the ASTs, hurts to see them get a grimey from road dirt.
IMG_9357.JPG

Wanting to drop the rear subframe and get it powder coated as well as get some strengthening plates welded in as I don't run a separate spring/damper.

Anyone know of the disadvantages of cutting the legs off of the rad support? Is this only suitable for track only cars with supporting changes?

Few hours spent today getting the car back together. Fitting the rear powerflex bush is probably one of the most frustrating jobs I've done to date. Getting the polyurethane section in took me a good couple hours until I worked out a way of getting it in.

IMG_5750.JPG

Got it in though but then the day took a big turn for the worst. Heard a clunk, looked around to see the M2 rolling towards the garage. Handbrake had somehow disengaged and there was nothing I could do. Mix that with the frustration of the bush and almost laid down and cried.

IMG_9946.JPG

My poor baby. Got on with putting the Clio back together and driving to get my mind off it but will be crying myself to sleep tonight.

Driver's side done too now. Doesn't look any prettier than before apart from a couple shiny bits poking through:

IMG_5266.jpeg

Longer wheel studs fitted all round to allow 10mm spacer should I decide to run them.

No more knocking or squeaking coming from the steering so I think it a success, glad I did it myself rather than forking out a bunch of cash for someone else to do.

Firstly, very unlucky with the M2 :worried: :worried: ... stunning car, and I'm sure you'll have sorted in no time. Clio 200 and an M2.. you are definitely winning the 'two car garage' competition.

Secondly, what a brilliant thread! You've done some awesome work on your Clio, what a beauty. What's your opinion on the Dunlop's? Have you had a chance to use them in anger? I'm hoping to get a set of spare wheels in the near future, but haven't pinpointed which tyre to go for. Frontrunner was the Nankang AR-1, but had never seen the Dunlop DZ03G until I read through this thread, so would be interested to hear your opinion.

So getting ready for this year. Suspension components require a bit of attention. New ball joints currently being fitted courtesy of Rene and his uprated ones, got one side almost finished just waiting on some poweflex bushes for the wishbone and new anti rotation links. Not too bad a job, just need access to a hydraulic press. Also made some bushes on a lathe to assist pushing them in and out (idea stolen from the how to on here)

View attachment 138663
View attachment 138661

Also giving the brakes a bit of a refresh. New HC discs on the front along with some DS1.11 pads, excited to try these out and see how they compare to the DS2500s. Also wanting to get the brakes sent away for refurb and repaint in yellow but this will have to wait another month or so. New Mr Pink pins to fit also.

View attachment 138660

Last but not least some shock covers fitted to add a bit of protection to the ASTs, hurts to see them get a grimey from road dirt.
View attachment 138662

Wanting to drop the rear subframe and get it powder coated as well as get some strengthening plates welded in as I don't run a separate spring/damper.

Anyone know of the disadvantages of cutting the legs off of the rad support? Is this only suitable for track only cars with supporting changes?
I've removed my rad support legs with no issue as has @trackspec197

Firstly, very unlucky with the M2 :worried: :worried: ... stunning car, and I'm sure you'll have sorted in no time. Clio 200 and an M2.. you are definitely winning the 'two car garage' competition.

Secondly, what a brilliant thread! You've done some awesome work on your Clio, what a beauty. What's your opinion on the Dunlop's? Have you had a chance to use them in anger? I'm hoping to get a set of spare wheels in the near future, but haven't pinpointed which tyre to go for. Frontrunner was the Nankang AR-1, but had never seen the Dunlop DZ03G until I read through this thread, so would be interested to hear your opinion.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah really love the car, going to cage it and sell the recaros for some proper buckets. Can't decide whether to go clubsport spec and keep trim or strip it out.

Dunlops are good. Haven't really pushed them too hard as I've only used them at the Nring so far and I tend not to push to hard when I'm there, so much too loose if it goes wrong at that track! Was hoping to get some track time at knockhill this month but obviously that's on hold. The AR1s were my other choice but when I was at the Nring in 2018 all the locals recommended the Dunlops so went with them.

Stay safe lads and if your still working like myself keep soldiering on!

Reactions: Bomster