Sean's 197T - RIP Albi :(

In all honesty the removal and refitting of the engines is a diy job, the trickiest bits are the wiring and the lining up of the intercooler pipes.

Went for the megane box as it's more proven to stand up to the torque figures and also the ratios are far better for motorways etc , 1k rpm less than the clio gearbox at 70mph in 6th gear for example, hence when driving normally to work I'm getting 35mpg.
Ecu, you use a 225 one and send it and your clio ecu to rs tuning who will swap the immobiliser over from the clio ecu to the megane one. Mine was 90 quid and they posted it back to me next-day recorded delivery.

sounds good..had a look at ebay and found a few 225/230 engines for about £335-1,000..is it better to get it with the turbo or without and get this separately??
sorry for silly questions ...but im not clued up on this at all...

Get one with the turbo if possible, but not a deal breaker as you can pick them up quite easily. Ideally you'd want to have the turbo refurbished and the engine rebuilt anyway ie block rebored, new bearings, new piston rings, new valves, valve seats reground, head skimmed, then new water pump, oil pump and timing belt kit.
I have pretty much a whole engine in my garage, only thing missing is the wiring loom and throttle body. The only reason I didn't use it was I found a low mileage one so just did timing belt and water pump and used that.
Ask as many questions as you like, always happy to help.

Reactions: Pav
thank you..will probably ask lots of stupid q's...you gotta ask someone who know their way around things,dont you..

thanks

How much is insurance Sean for it being turbo'd?

Looks great, glad it's all sorted and your happy with it.

Wasn't the guy on here that was selling the 250 engine? Did the sale fall through of your old 225 engine?

How much is insurance Sean for it being turbo'd?

Looks great, glad it's all sorted and your happy with it.

Wasn't the guy on here that was selling the 250 engine? Did the sale fall through of your old 225 engine?

£300 fully comp.
I bought the 250 engine from eBay, company called RPERFORMANCETUNING in Birmingham. Got a full refund and the guy started threatening me with coming round to my house and burning my car etc. I told him he was welcome to pop round and I'd give him his engine back shortly before handing him his teeth. Ebay must have read the exchange and banned his account.
Decided to keep the first 225 engine I bought and either keep it for spares or sell it to someone looking to do the conversion.

I have pretty much a whole engine in my garage, only thing missing is the wiring loom and throttle body. The only reason I didn't use it was I found a low mileage one so just did timing belt and water pump and used that.
Ask as many questions as you like, always happy to help.
is this a 225 engine Sean?where can you can the wiring loom from??did you have your turbo refurbished??

is this a 225 engine Sean?where can you can the wiring loom from??did you have your turbo refurbished??

Yeah it's a 225 engine. There's a loom on ebay for 35quid iirc. Didn't in the end as first I found the 250 engine then the low mileage 225 engine.

what does your 225 engine needs doing the to be used for a conversion then pls??whats the milage on it??

Have you got working air-conditioning?
I'm about to start a conversion on my clio and would like to keep the air con if possible if so is it easy to do?

How does the clio handle the Meg engine? traction etc, does it cope?

In the dry it's exactly the same as the standard n/a engine, it just grips and goes although obviously it goes a lot harder. In the wet it spins in third gear, even with standard map. Handling-wise there's no difference so you get best of both clio and megane worlds.
Quaife or r26 gearbox is on the ever-increasing to-do list though.

Reactions: Adam_C
Have you got working air-conditioning?
I'm about to start a conversion on my clio and would like to keep the air con if possible if so is it easy to do?

Yes air conditioning was retained. I'll have to do a bit of jiggling around of pipework when the bigger radiator goes in but for now with the 197 radiator it's fine.

In the dry it's exactly the same as the standard n/a engine, it just grips and goes although obviously it goes a lot harder. In the wet it spins in third gear, even with standard map. Handling-wise there's no difference so you get best of both clio and megane worlds.
Quaife or r26 gearbox is on the ever-increasing to-do list though.

THAT sounds fun :smile:

Hugely looking forward to some video / sounds / car running clips.......

Reactions: Sean197

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sean197 Projects/Progress Threads 30
Pav Projects/Progress Threads 2657
B Spotted 0