Sean's 197T - RIP Albi :(

Had a few hours spare this afternoon so went into the garage and started stripping the megane engine. Got both manifolds, wiring loom, coolant pipes, starter, alternator, air con pump, and gearbox off. This weekend I'll get the head off then start ordering bits for the rebuild. My task for tomorrow lunchtime is to find someone local to refurb the gearbox and turbo.

20160222_143857.jpg

20160222_165140.jpg

Last edited:
So, following on from this - http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?53182-Advice-please - the 225 engine is now provisionally sold as it was too much hassle to get it into the condition I would have been happy with. After some negotiations, I am now the proud owner of this:

250%20engine.jpg

A complete 29k Megane 250 engine, including wiring, ecu, turbo, injectors, etc. The conversion is much the same as fitting the 225 engine, just with a few tweaks here and there. With the info I've gleaned from pouring over the megane forums, as well as the incredibly knowledgeable guys as Rentec in Edinburgh, I don't see too many issues arising. The only pain in the arse now is having to find some boost/intercooler pipes as I don't think anyone makes aftermarket ones in the same way you can buy Forge ones for the 225.
Car goes in on the 20th all being well :thumbup:

Dropped the car off this morning to have the engine fitted. Ecus were posted to rs tuning to have them coded. All going well I should be collecting the car next week, then off for a remap.

20160720_085553.jpg

Also saw [MENTION=53714]FinlayMiller[/MENTION]'s car looking rather sorry for itself!

IMG-20160720-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome ! Going to be the longest week ever for you.....

Hope it all goes painlessly, and looking forward to next weeks report..

[MENTION=54245]sevenfourate[/MENTION] cheers, longest and most expensive lol the guys at rentec in Edinburgh really know their stuff, and they have Finlay's car and also a megane 225 they're fitting a 250 engine into for reference so they're confident things will go without a hitch.

Ok, so the car is back up and running with the Megane engine. However, it's a low-mileage 225 engine rather than the 250 engine above. Long story short, the 250 engine I bought turned out to be nothing more than scrap. Luckily paypal found in my favour after I opened a dispute, despite the seller arguing that the engine was "running when I took it out the car" - this was a bloody joke as when we opened it to fit the arp rod bolts we found piston number 3 was sitting in bits in the sump! However, every cloud etc., paypal told me I didn't have to send the engine back, so I got my money back and got a Megane 250 turbocharger for nothing, as well as a 250 cat which I will be selling on ebay :kilt::french:

The Megane engine has transformed the way the car drives. In general driving (around town etc.) I've found myself barely revving past 2k, but when I need to go, jesus it goes. The first few drives felt a little strange to say the least, having so much torque compared to n/a. Also the turbo flutter when changing gear takes some getting used to.
Simple things like pulling out of junctions or overtaking at 50mph are no longer filled with the high-revving engine-screaming drama of old, but there is still plenty of enjoyment to be had when pushing on, you just happen to be pushing on a hell of a lot faster! To say I'm pleased is an understatement, it pulls like a train now so I'm eagerly awaiting the planned upgrades in the Spring.

So, as it stands the spec of the car is as follows:

Engine
Megane 225 engine
ARP rod bolts
Milltek Megane exhaust downpipe (wrapped)
Milltek Megane exhaust link pipe
K-Tec Clio 197/200 200-Cell sports cat
K-Tec Clio 197 cat-back exhaust system
Ramair filter
Silicone inlet hose
Relocated 197 header tank with silicone hoses
Custom intercooler hard-pipe kit with ebay Chinese intercooler
197 radiator
Powerflex torque mount, upper engine and lower engine mount

Gearbox
Megane 225 gearbox
Megane R26R Clutch
Engine Dynamics Single Mass Flywheel
Engine Dynamics quickshift

Suspension
Bilstein B14 coilovers

Brakes
Standard Brembo discs and pads
HEL braided brake lines

The plan is to run it in this configuration until March/April, and then upgrade to a Forge intercooler, 630cc injectors, and Megane 250 turbo, followed by a remap at RS Tuning.
Before then, I want to move the battery to the boot (replacing the standard battery for a smaller Varley one) and either fit a Clio/espace v6 airbox or build some kind of carbon airbox in the space vacated by the battery, nearer the font of the car.
A Megane radiator has been bought and I'll look into fitting that in the new year, although so far the temps haven't risen past the 3rd line on the gauge, but I'll be able to keep more of an eye on that when I get my Scangauge installed this weekend. I'll also be looking into buying another bonnet and having subtle louvres stamped into it to help with heat dissipation (I don't want a bonnet vent, but if I have to then I have to I suppose).
I won't be aiming for silly power figures, I'm thinking around 290/300bhp and around 280-290lb/ft to keep it safe and still driveable day-to-day.
I will also be buying and fitting some adjustable top mounts, refurbing my 8J Cup racer Speedlines in dark anthracite, painting my calipers, and adding a few carbon bits and pieces.

Photobucket seems to be down so I'll try to get pics up later.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonlovesfrench
im very much jealous Sean..such a great read..im so glad all went great and you can enjoy your new car..your future plans sound even better..you may want to look into upgrading you brake pads with this power now :french:

may be a silly question but what does a quickshift do pls??

im very much jealous Sean..such a great read..im so glad all went great and you can enjoy your new car..your future plans sound even better..you may want to look into upgrading you brake pads with this power now :french:

may be a silly question but what does a quickshift do pls??

Cheers, yeah I think some uprated pads will be on the cards too.
The quickshift shortens the throw of the gearstick between gears, but on this conversion it gives the linkage more clearance.
Would thoroughly recommend the engine conversion, it's made me fall in love with the car all over again.

ok..thats what i thought..do you know (roughly) how much your conversion was up to now??with the quickshift....

ok..thats what i thought..do you know (roughly) how much your conversion was up to now??with the quickshift....

Around 3.5 grand all in I'd say including labour. I could easily do it again and knock around 500 quid off that due to buying some things twice due to trial and error etc. and could knock a further 300 or so off if I hadn't chosen a megane gearbox and driveshafts.
I'd be happy to do a spreadsheet breakdown for you if you're thinking about it :wink:

Reactions: DS197
that's is very reasonable i think..well if you dont mind..im not doing this for sure (yet) but it is something i've been thinking about...i'd be lying if i said i hadnt...so you used the megane driveshafts??thought they were more durable compared to the clio ones...no??

Reactions: Johnny 99
The clio shafts don't fit so you have to use megane shafts with the megane gearbox. Luckily eurocarparts had a 30% sale so I got them brand new for 60quid each.
I also sold my 197 engine and gearbox for 700quid so that paid for most of the labour.

It all sounds brilliant Sean, and great to hear you're enjoying it so much. It's a big outlay of funds, but when you're driving with a permanent smile on your face it must be totally worth it!

Reactions: Sean197
Around 3.5 grand all in I'd say including labour. I could easily do it again and knock around 500 quid off that due to buying some things twice due to trial and error etc. and could knock a further 300 or so off if I hadn't chosen a megane gearbox and driveshafts.
I'd be happy to do a spreadsheet breakdown for you if you're thinking about it :wink:
I have to say, the cost sounds very reasonable. I'm half tempted to get mine done now too! Although I have a feeling the labour costs down here would be too much.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sean197 Projects/Progress Threads 30
Pav Projects/Progress Threads 2657
B Spotted 0