Roll Cage installation

Nah not really, gets pretty close to the windscreen getting in but straight forward if there’s two of you.

@RSRowe

Any chance you have/could take a pic of where the rear plate bolts to the rear arches please?

I’m pretty sure I’ve got it in the right place, but would be good to check before I start drilling holes in stuff.

I will try to remember to grab some next time I’ve got the car with me.
It’s pretty self explanatory once you’ve located the feet for the centre loop really.

It’s a tight fit!

I thought I’d leave the shipping foam in place until I got it in, to protect it and the car, but there’s just no room. Take it off before hand and get someone to help load it in.
Front seats need to come out, don’t forget to disconnect the airbags before taking them out. (Someone wrote somewhere that if you turn the car on before reinstalling the seats/putting resistors in you’ll get the airbag warning light on your dash and need someone to clear it. Not sure if that’s the case or could be cleared by an ODB reader, but I just left the car off until I reinstalled the seats and reconnected the airbags and had no problems.)

The wires/hoses and hose clips running down each side of the car are also a pain in the arse and get in the way. Unclip them and move them out the way if you can.
Probably want to remove the bottom bolt of the rear seatbelts as well. These can be put back after the cage is in.

Consider marking up and pre drill the circled bolt in the picture as clearance is non existent, then drill the others in place keeping the drill as straight as possible.
I marked and pre drilled all the holes on the long legs and while mostly was ok a couple needed slight adjustment from underneath to keep the bolts straight. If they’re angled, in can be more difficult to fit the plate. 984CE4EC-68F6-438C-BCDE-0769D65C7134.jpeg18165978-A2D6-4E09-9300-FB6B27C140D0.jpeg

Also, unless you happen to have lift, get something comfortable to lie on!
My hips are killing me this morning from lying on my side on the concrete!

My pleasure, any questions give me a shout.

I’m hardly the most accomplished spanner turner, but I found it surprisingly ok. (Once I’d put the cage in the right way round!)

I also had to remove some of the sealant stuff to get a flatter fit on some of the bottom leg (under that circled bolt) might have just been where it hasn’t been applied particularly well on mine. I used a chisel and it can up ok.

Hey guys hope youre all good!

I'm looking for some advice, my cage from track developments arrived yesterday, looked mega! Been trying to fit it tonight and it's been a nightmare!! For starters managed to crack my windscreen haha, oh well no point crying about that one, managed to get it in, thought all was going okay, but I absolutely cannot get it to sit in straight, on the drivers side there is plenty of room, but the passenger side It will not move away from the seat belt, close enough that it's stopping the seat belt retracting! I've literally been struggling for hours with it, carpet and foam in and out, taking everything out and refitting, the absolute lot, but it just doesn't look right to me! It's the same style as Pita's cage, the one that bolts into the isofix points

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the cage hasn't been the best fit on the Jig, but I believe track developments use JP Cages and I know they have a great reputation so I can't see it being that

any help would be great guys if you have any ideas!

Oh and even with the bolts out the isofixing points it still won't go in straight, don't wanna be drilling holes in the floor until I know it's right :smile:
20210618_214604.jpg20210618_214609.jpg

I’m personally no expert, and it’s quite difficult to diagnose from a couple of pictures, but someone else on the forum (may not have been this one) had a problem with their cage not coming out of the jig quite right and then struggling for ages to fit it.

If the legs are both in identical places on the mount points on either side and it’s not sitting right, I’d say there was something up. See if you can measure/compare the angles of the tubes. Doesn’t have to be actual measurements, just a comparison between the two.

I assume you’ve not got the legs trapped behind cables or something, which was a pain for me.

hey mate, cheers for the reply =)

yeah literally tried everything, had all the carpets up to make sure nothing was in the way, tried offering up without carpets and all that and its still the same. ha yeah know what you mean about only a few pics, apologies for that, was tired and frustrated by time i said "fuck it" XD, but my thoughts were if i got the bolts through the cage into the isofixings, then that should in theory have it all lined up and ready to go, i can get the bolts in there but it defo doesnt look right! will sleep tonight then take a look and see if i can see anything wrong with the angles tomorrow, thanks dude =)

No worries, and good luck!
I know how gutting it is to wait for something and then it not be quite right.
I’d also suggest giving JP a call for advice.
Have you checked YouTube for install videos?