Rewinding the rear caliper?

Trying to change the rear pads but can't rewind the caliper.

Turning it clockwise as you look at it with some snipe nose pliers with all my body weight on it for pressure.

So far completed about 100 revolutions and the piston hasn't rewound a mil...

Need urgent help/advice. Please no 'buy a rewind kit as everywhere's closed and i can't get one.

Thanks.

If I wasn't so far away I would have lent you my tool :worried: iv herd there are ways of doing it without but I never succeeded !

Trying to change the rear pads but can't rewind the caliper.

Turning it clockwise as you look at it with some snipe nose pliers with all my body weight on it for pressure.

So far completed about 100 revolutions and the piston hasn't rewound a mil...

Need urgent help/advice. Please no 'buy a rewind kit as everywhere's closed and i can't get one.

Thanks.

your doing it exactly as how i would do it - they do take a bit before they start to "wind-back" in

make sure the handbrake lever is fully in the off position !

Okay managed it at last but what a nightmare.

Only way to do this for future reference is to take the caliper completely off the car and put it on the floor with the piston facing up. only then can you put your full weigh on it to turn it back in. Then bleed the rear brakes.

But i'd suggest anyone to get the correct tool first!

Okay managed it at last but what a nightmare.

Only way to do this for future reference is to take the caliper completely off the car and put it on the floor with the piston facing up. only then can you put your full weigh on it to turn it back in. Then bleed the rear brakes.

But i'd suggest anyone to get the correct tool first!

i have done maybe 5-6 rear pad changes.....and never had to remove the caliper to wind it back - just used the pliers and hand force to do the job !!

I tried for an hour with so much force I nearly pushed it off the axle stand, so decided to take the caliper off as u was getting nowhere.

But I'll be buying a rewind tool next time!

how do you force back the pistons on the front to change the front pads??

Take the cap off the fluid reservoir, and then if you're replacing the pads with new ones, see if you can get a small flat lever between the disc and pad and gently ease the pistons back.

A better way is to remove the pads, then unbolt the caliper off the car and use a proper 'pad spreader'.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/Tools/Vehicle-Service/Brake-Service-Tools/Brake-System-Tools/?SEAAK7112&0&t5_390

big pair of water pump pliers for fronts and winding too for back thats how i do it. no other way really without struggling.

thanks guys appreciate it last time i used a set of clamps:s lol allways use a windback tool for the rears:smile:

Fronts are easy, just make sure the other side of the car has the pads in place or you could force the pistons right out the seal on the opposite side your pushing back.

TBH I've always just used my bare hands on the fronts 'cos I'm hard like that. :rofl:

And I use a flat head screwdriver on the back, seating the flat head into one groove and holding the bar of the screwdriver through the other. Never had to remove a caliper to do it though.:001_huh:

You did have the cap off didn't you?

Resurrecting this thrad. Need to do mine and realise they don't have grooves in anymore, like wot they used to, so can't use a flathead screwdriver.

So what windback tool are people using. Looked at pics of the Draper kit but I can't see a piece that looks like it has the opposing triangular shaped studs

most of the wind-back tools use either a square or round peg - to fit the piston "slot"

img2171-medium.jpg

Cheers Foxy. Any recommendations as to what to get? Was looking at a Draper 18pc set.

Figure it probably won't be the last car I wind calipers back on!

Oh and any recommendations as to where to source pads from?

just make sure you get one that fits renault calipers as there are a few different caliper fittings around for "renaults"

pads - go for standard - plenty of traders on here will do you a good deal - if you buy genuine they come with new anti-rattle springs :thumbup1:

When you say anti-rattle spring Fox, do you mean the bow shaped spring on the pad itself, or the little metal plates that slot into the caliper that the pads slide on?

Will probably get them from Worldofparts as they're reasonably local.