Request-How to Change front discs?

Calipers unbolt with sump key easy. Think its a t30 star bit to remove disk from hub.

easy job -

caliper held on with 2 hex bolts
disc held on by 2 torx bolts

only issue is getting the pad pins to knock out :bat:

son in law did mine on saturday 1 side piece of pee
otherside ****e cus like said above friggin pin siezed

The callipers are held in with 2 M14 fine socket cap head, you will need a 12mm hex drive or Alan key :smile:

Think it's t35 for the disk bolts

yeah done pads before and took about 2 hours as the pins were seized lol

think im goin to have the same trouble again lol

ill take some pics and get em up this week if i get chance

thanks guys

Right havin just spent the best part of 4 hours replacing the front discs and pads i feel im best qualified to make a few points about the b5st5rd things lol

1.Make sure you have the correct tools lol i thought i had a 12mm allen but didnt and spent an hour trying to find one ,only to have to visit halfords and buy one im now £9 out of pocket lol

2.When ****ting the pin out you need to support the caliper fron behind so all the effort is going in to the pin

3.If the pin is really stuck the only way to remove is use an angle grinder and cut pin in half then wiggle,hammer and twist the offending part that is left

4.Cant believe how much ****e gets into the calipers i had my pads stuck in the caliper on both sides ,more hammering and bashing lol.so make sure you give the insides of the caliper a really good degunk with some brake spray,wire brush and a flat head screwdriver

5.Brakes feel really good now even without them being bedded in , so from now on im going to be stripping them every year etc to keep em sweet

omfg u cut the caliper pins?

also y didnt u keep them bolted to the axle before u took the pins out?

Right havin just spent the best part of 4 hours replacing the front discs and pads i feel im best qualified to make a few points about the b5st5rd things lol

1.Make sure you have the correct tools lol i thought i had a 12mm allen but didnt and spent an hour trying to find one ,only to have to visit halfords and buy one im now £9 out of pocket lol

2.When ****ting the pin out you need to support the caliper fron behind so all the effort is going in to the pin

3.If the pin is really stuck the only way to remove is use an angle grinder and cut pin in half then wiggle,hammer and twist the offending part that is left

4.Cant believe how much ****e gets into the calipers i had my pads stuck in the caliper on both sides ,more hammering and bashing lol.so make sure you give the insides of the caliper a really good degunk with some brake spray,wire brush and a flat head screwdriver

5.Brakes feel really good now even without them being bedded in , so from now on im going to be stripping them every year etc to keep em sweet

i have gone on about the pads seizing in calipers and whats needed is a yearly strip/clean/lube/rebuild for both fronts and rears.....but few take notice !:bat:

u have foxy. ill give you that. if you grease them every time u change pads u shud have no problems thgh?

i have gone on about the pads seizing in calipers and whats needed is a yearly strip/clean/lube/rebuild for both fronts and rears.....but few take notice !:bat:
will make sure i do it all the time now

It doesnt meen u have to cut it out just wr 60 and leave it for 10 minutes if its still stuck same again its only the heat that makes them seize sometimes. After the above even a seized pin could be carefully removed.

Also wen u say support the caliper its already supported by 2 big bolts. I was always told "u will not brake anything on a car" for instance i used a lump hammer to seperate suspension from axel. I wud probably use a lump hammer on a caliper pin before i ground it off

Surely it was difficult to cut?

i was using a lump hammer on the thing!!,aswell as penetrative lube lol , then it started to bend in the middle so i thought its fubar now so i may as well cut the dam thing

and yes when you are hitting the pins with a lump hammer the caliper/steering etc does move go and try it lol.

i have no doubt that it would of came out without cutting it but the caliper was starting to look a little battered with all the bashing.so i cut my losses and got mr angle grinder out

Do you actually need the 12mm allen key if you are only changing pads?

Looks as though to access the pads it's just the retaining pins and the retaining spring that have to be removed??

nah the pads will slide out, no need to take the caliper off if just doing pads.

The pads won't slide straight out if there is any lip on your discs. Mine had a tiny lip, literally 0.1 or 0.2mm but the pads got caught on it.

I loosened the caliper bolts and that gave it just enough movement to be able to slide them out

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
joehodges154 Clio General Chat 2
EthanMenace Clio 200 Area 0
S Clio 200 Area 2
harey Clio 200 Area 3
harey Clio 200 Area 23