Renault Sport Clio 197 Racing Red

64mm throttle body fitted:

Finalllllllllyyyy!

Can't wait to fit it, on my way home from the postal office.

Fitted....ABSOLUTELY no issues from the first start!

Like I haven't changed the TB. Idle @900rpm from the first start.

First impressions:
-almost no more flat spot @ 2-3000rpm (had it after fitting y-pipe & decat)
- better throttle response (like I've felt when fitted high flow panel filter)

For now, I haven't felt any performance gains for.now but I believe there are some because of the missing flatspot.

A worthy mod.

Will write some more when I get back home.

[YOUTUBE]JWGSDxELoAw[/YOUTUBE]

Met a friend on the road and we did some 50-200km/h runs and a photoshoot:

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

Too bad my car/wheels were dirty. :wink:

Finally:

imag0189o.jpg

imag0190y.jpg

Bought Torque too. Can't wait to try it out. :smiley:

Last edited:
Wasn't happy, to say at least, with the carbon wrapped centre console that one company did for me so I've painted my old carbon look vinyl console, dash strips and A/C ring in black. Looks much neater than it did before (vinyl started to unglue).

Took me whole day to remove the centre console, dash strips, paint & reinstall the DVD player (the hole is barely enough to install the DVD so I had to remove the A/C control, glove compartment and battle with excess cables).

IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0193.jpg

IMAG0194.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

Painting process:

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

IMAG0198.jpg

It has been 10 days now after fitting 64mm TB and I have to say I absolutely love it. :thumbup1:

The car feels much eager to accelerate - like it was breathing through a straw and now it doesn't any more.

Unfortunately, I haven't got the chance to try out with my friend and his CTR EP3 to see any true gains on the road due to the fact he had installed a performance exhaust system so he's no longer a real reference to me.

Had the car on the dyno before/after like I said I would. The TB was on the car for 3 days before the dyno.

64mm-TB-NM-BHP.jpg

64mm-TB-NM.jpg

This reading I've found confusing - much more WHP increase, but not that big BHP (probably due to different weather conditions - temperature, air pressure,...):

64mm-TB-NM-WHP.jpg

And the other thing I've noticed - the car is running leaner than before (I can see the exhaust not getting black after pushing the car hard, and before the TB it would be black after 2-3 hard runs) so the next thing is a remap.

My current setup:
V6 Ph2 airbox with K&N panel filter
matched/ported inlets
64mm TB
lightweight flywheel
Y-pipe
Miltek decat
Miltek catback
remap (not suited to the new TB)

Last edited:
New thermostat - my old one used to be open most of the time so the coolant temperature would vary often at cold weather:

Zamjenatermostata_1.jpg

Is that only 148bhp? Or am I reading that wrong? Because if i'm not, something must be seriously wrong there.

Should be better/higher but my tuner is very conservative, he thinks that I/we drive hard everyday...:smiley:

Will have the car remapped to suit the 64mm TB in the next few weeks because the car is now running lean.

Views on Y pipe?

I can't recommend it or not recommend. :smiley:

PRO:
- amazing sound - exhaust keeps popping, raspier sound...just great

CON:
- big (not massive) flatspot 2-3krpm, however, once you get used to it - you learn how to minimize it. :wink:

With the 64mm TB I have managed to get rid of 70% of the flatspot.

Performance? Hmmmh...TBH, I really don't know if I got anything with it because I had other mods in the combination with the Y-pipe done at the same time, and still believe I can squeeze more bhp/nm with a remap.

If you ask me if I would put it on my car again - probably YES.

If I manage to get 195-200bhp out of it on this rollers I will be VERY happy because my car is already 40-50m in front of the stock 197 50-200km/h.

I've expected it to be really dirty given in mind that I haven't changed it in the past 15-20kkm but not this dirty..:wink:

Changed the upper engine mount & the lower engine (gearbox) mount.

First I've changed the lower mount and the difference was awsome! The engine had atleast 60% less
movement on throttle release than it had before. TBH, I bought this mount just in case if the OEM one wasn't good and I didn't expect that much of a difference.

Old one:

2012-11-23180511.jpg

Notice the cracks...

New, Swag one:

Nosa10D0motoradonji22112012.jpg

However, I've expected the big difference when I changed the upper one but it was not as nearly as big as when I had the lower one replaced.

Old, OEM one:

IMAG0237.jpg

New OEM one:

IMAG0238.jpg

Now it feels as good as new on throttle release.

And yes, I was on a track day @ Grobnik race track. Haven't planned it till the last day (old CSC3 DOT2410 tyres, only 2mm of front TRW brake pads) but I haven't been on the track for 2 years so I went.

Clio197ReneGrobnik.jpg

I wasn't pleased with the time I made. Was 1.3s slower (1.56.9xx s) than 2 years before. Totally disappointed. :worried:

Did only 3 fast laps, and 5 cooldown laps...:wink:

Stupid...:thumbdown:

[YOUTUBE]J7IHxwrt0BM[/YOUTUBE]