Renault offered me a 250...?

Keep the Clio, save your money and buy at a time to suit you, not when a dealer is throwing a car at you, there's always a reason!!

If you're happy with the financial terms and the figures add up then go for it. Only thing i'd say, is with the 265 due soon (from what i've read), the 250 values may take a rather sharp nosedive south!

Its a lot of money for what it is mate. I've been looking at other hot hatches since I sold the 197 and tbh they just dont make sense to me any more.

You can get a hell of car in the 20-24k bracket. The only problem is running them. Which im guessing wouldnt be a problem seing as your Clio is a second car now.

Its a lot of money for what it is mate. I've been looking at other hot hatches since I sold the 197 and tbh they just dont make sense to me any more.

You can get a hell of car in the 20-24k bracket. The only problem is running them. Which im guessing wouldnt be a problem seing as your Clio is a second car now.

I feel the same about most cars tbh. Think I'm getting a little tight in my old age but since not having any finance on any of the families cars, I go looking at lots of stuff I could now afford used...the new shape M3's, M5's, RS4, RS Focus and the Meg 250, I look at the figures and that I could be paying £800 per month including insurance (gone up 20 -30%) plus the increasing fuel costs and running costs on a car?

I get into the yellow clio and think this amount of fun for little or no outlay. Hard package to beat at the moment. I really want a Porsche 911 so I'm gonna wait till I'm older and the kids have left home, and enjoy owning one without the worry of how much its costing me. Grumpy old man!!!!

Last edited:
I'm another one that doesn't rave about the 250. It's a mightily quick car, but for me it's less involving, a bit sanitised compared to the 200, and that's what I like about driving, the feel, the involvement.

And if I'm being brutally honest, it's the same coming from a Clio Trophy into the 200, but needed a bit more room, hence the change.

Next car will be an exige or elise of some sort as they have massive driver appeal (though I'll admit to not have driven one - yet)

I'd keep the 197 in this situation, for financial and driving reasons, but hey, get a test drive, make sure you take in all road types and see what you think.

think Paul said there are only 8 265s left

Ahh maybe not then! Never know though 8 is better than 0.

Some of the arguments against are good points actually, the meg is a lot of money for what it is, if your gonna be forking out for one it might be worth looking around at cars in a similar price range and see what you prefer

you could also just keep the 197 as a second car and make it more "extreme" - not talking about massive power but say strip it out a bit - and run a second "old banger" car instead

its nice to be in a position of choice...just make sure its a top smiles-for-miles-for-monies type of car :thumbup:

I was offered a yellow 265 trophy but the price was rediculous, 27k+ !!!

I'm fully aware the 197 would leave it standing in the corners but I rarely do track days and there's only so much you can push on the road, whereas with the straight line power I can exploit the full potential of the car.

Anyway I got a test drive tomorrow and if I like it I gotta make a few insurance enquiries and it may be bye bye Clio.

And yea the nos will be for sale :wink:

think Paul said there are only 8 265s left

I was told there were 12 at WSR. I know there is one at the local dealer, but I don't know if that is included in the figure. TBH 12 out of 50 is quite a few after the 2-3 months they have been out.

Very nice car - the sales manager has invited me down to have a look around :bounce:

Well i test drove one, for an hour lol. The saleman, who was a top bloke, even took a detour because i requested some country roads. In his own words he basically said 'thrash the nuts off it as much as you want aslong as it tempts you to buy it :tongueout:'.

What can i say? Obviously its a more comfortable and better feeling quality motor, but for the price i wouldnt expect any less. You can definately feel the extra weight and bulk of the bigger megane, i will concede here without doubt the 197 would easily shrug off the 250 on a tight track. Below 3,000rpm, as with any turbo'd car, it is absolutely gutless and the boost takes a while to build up there after.

It wasnt as quick as i had thought, but the powerband is massive and throttle response between 3 and 6k is pin sharp. A very usable 250bhp and it feels massively torquey. My biggest annoyance is the limiter, after years of 182s and 197s im afraid 6000rpm just isnt enough, just as you begin to get excited its time to change.

The brakes, although bigger than the 197s, seem to struggle with the extra weight. with the clio once more being able to out brake it.

Butttt... It sounds amazing, pulls like a train above 80mph and is extremely planted on bumpy roads, the LSD making a huge difference. Its easy to drive, comfortable and well specced.

Im tempted...

spot on review, I drove one at the world series on the hot laps and i couldn't agree more, the quality in the cabin is much better but like you say you expect that. My lasting impression was that although quick it didn't feel it and the lower rev limit coming from a clio was disappointing. The clio is is say much more fun if your wringing its neck but if you want a quick car that takes no effort and has all the creature comforts then the megane is perfect.

Still think you should get one ben as iv said before I want that nos lol.

mate go by the tried and tested theory of "think less play more" lol and of course " the one with the most toys wins"

I have recently dropped down to a Clio after owning a Focus RS..... i test drove the meg250 LOADS when choosing between the focus on the megane and i have to say the focus beats it in almost every single department.. if you want an absolutely brutal motor with an incredible sound track and with blistering power and straight line speed for around 20-25k then it's worth you looking at a Focus RS mate.....

obviously i realise they are offering a decent 0% deal, but you can get a focus rs for cheaper anyway with 10k on it or so.

at the end of the day, do what makes u happy mate. but ur mind seems made up on the clio... what about putting ur car back to standard and paying ur car off in december then selling it, ur have quite abit of money from the car and parts and then take ur time in deciding what car u go for next... just remember, the offer they've gave u sounds tempting but noone gives u nothing for free!