Renault offered me a 250...?

Got a phone call today from my local dealer, obviously they know my finance is paid off in December so they're trying to tempt me into another new motor.

Thing is, they made me a rather appealing deal on a new Megane 250 Cup. 8k deposit on the 197 and 0% finance at a slightly higher rate than im paying now.

I've always though about chopping the 197 in for something quicker, but nothing ever comes of it. This time im proper thinking about it real time. Got a test drive booked in Saturday to confirm i'll luv it or not so much.

I need someone to help point me in the right direction lol, do i upgrade or keep the 197?

I would love a 250 but just can't stand the thought of all the depreciation on a new car again.I say go for it

Would be a good step up, depends if you will miss the 197 and the things you have done to it? Will you been spending loads again adding things to the Megane?

Would be a good step up, depends if you will miss the 197 and the things you have done to it? Will you been spending loads again adding things to the Megane?

No i've agreed to the misses that im getting too old to be stripping and caging cars lol, i need a more grown up motor.

Im thinking intercooler, exhaust, remap and some lowering springs. Job done!

Last edited:
I say go for it too. They are gorgeous cars and worth the cash i think. If you can afford the cash do it!

...go for it...squeeze a bit more out of them as they will be deseperate to sell.....if the Williams Clio doesn't come about I will probably be going for a Meg 250 next....they are very quick and a more comfy grown up car!!

No i've agreed to the misses that im getting too old to be stripping and caging cars lol, i need a more grown up motor.

Im thinking intercooler, exhaust, remap and some lowering springs. Job done!

Go for it then mate! Could even ask if they will do a deal for a 265 :thumbup:

if you think its a good deal and you can afford it then go for it :thumbup:

if of course you want to get rid of TBHHMCB

if you think its a good deal and you can afford it then go for it :thumbup:

if of course you want to get rid of TBHHMCB

Come again?

I hear they are facelifting the megane next year with a 265 engine std on all models, i wouldnt mind betting they will spoil the front like they did the 197. :tongueout:

Lol i adore the 197 dont get me wrong, it just hasnt got the guts in a straight line.

To be able to beat Focus Rs's would be a real buzz for me, seeing as Essex boys only praise their crappy fords :tongueout: With abit of mapping i reckon it could be a goer.

Come again?

I hear they are facelifting the megane next year with a 265 engine std on all models, i wouldnt mind betting they will spoil the front like they did the 197. :tongueout:

Id wait for apress release or pics of the face lift it could look awesome, or they could ruin it like they did with the 200's like you said lol.

They are a much nicer motor though, much faster in a straightg line and plenty more torque. I've done back to with 197 and 250 on track and the clio was MUCH livelier TBH, and that meant more fun. Swings and roundabouts mate, though chances are your others half right and its time to grow up (but non of us want to do that lol!)

OK, since someone has to play the devil's advocate, might as well be me :evil:

My neighbour has got one, cup version, bigger intercooler, exhaust upgrade, 100cell cat and remap. Pushes out 311 HP and loads of torque (well over 400 Nm).
Now the car pulls very hard, feels very quick and I'm sure it is too.
But here's my point -but this is just my opinion- the sound of the blown engine isn't as appealing as a N/A engine. It's too deep. I'll take the sound of a high reving atmo any day.
Second, been on the Nordschleife with him and every single Clio cup gets away after 1 or 2 rounds just by the difference in cornering. Now you might argue my neighbour doesn't know how to drive but he's had high performance cars all his life. At the moment he has an Alfa Romeo GT, a fully tuned Opel GT (that's known in the US as Saturn Sky), the Megane RS cup and just sold his Porsche 911 Turbo which was upgraded to about 560 HP and well over 700 Nm of torque.
But that's just the devil's message :rofl::rofl:

Last edited: