Renault CAN CLIP tool

So, been considering what ODBII interface to buy and found that the legit CAN CLIP tool is now quite affordable.

Are they worth getting? Anybody got one?

I have a usb->ODBII ELM device at present, which allows me to reset codes and what not

Anybody have any views?

If you can get the Clip tool for a good price id say it would be worth it.

I was shown it, when the car went it for some checks. It tests all parts and marks them green for good or red for a fault, if i remeber correctly.

Where did you see the clip tool mike?

There's a handful on ebay actually, ranging from £80 to £400 (including install dvds)

I think I'm going to get one. They do more than diagnostics though I think - some settings? ecu / immobiliser stuff?

In that case I think I'm going to get one. I can diagnose any faults on mine and the mrs RS and I know a couple people with 197s and 200s - and standard renaults for that matter!

u can change all kinds of stuff with that, instead of hitting the button twice u can change it to just do it once, you can change sooooooooo many things

I notice on some of these it says reprogramming but it looks like most of the listings have been cut and paste from each other.

What reprogramming can be done?

Keys/mileage/service stuff?

You can also do sooo much damage aswell, i know of so many horror stories with folk using Vagcom for the VAG scene, changing settings you need to be careful and know what you are doing.

Dont get me wrong, it is invaluable but please be careful!

Also aswell, the clip in Renault garages gets updated all the time as its linked to Renaults site/servers, so the stuff you buy on the bay is also near enough out to date and if there is an update you wont get it - just another thing to be aware of.

I believe (not 100%) that the updates can be obtained by other means..

Interesting though.
i just had a quick look on ebay, and looking it goes up to V114 - and guessing there is releases all the time for updates etc. to be fair for what you will use it for i think you wouldn't need the updates - i could be wrong tho.

You can also do sooo much damage aswell, i know of so many horror stories with folk using Vagcom for the VAG scene, changing settings you need to be careful and know what you are doing.

Dont get me wrong, it is invaluable but please be careful!

Also aswell, the clip in Renault garages gets updated all the time as its linked to Renaults site/servers, so the stuff you buy on the bay is also near enough out to date and if there is an update you wont get it - just another thing to be aware of.

wise words indeed :shout:

its a good bit of kit but as said the dearler equipment is linked in with renault. I used to work for a volvo dealer (technician) an vida which is there diagnostic system has weekly updates an syncronisations with there main network. Also in vidas case it doesn't always just tell you whats wrong, sometimes they through up other codes that require further testing an diagnostics to follow up. So its not just a case of plugging theses bits of equipment in an it giving you a straight answer. And as above if it goes wrong it can cause alot of damage, we had issues when the equipment shut down during a sycronistion with the car an it put the car asleep which then required a new CEM module which was very costly!

I have also been advised all the ones you see on the bay are cheap ****e that prob wont work, you see one now and again up for 2k - this is the one you want, over on cliosport there is a thread somewhere with this. Folk who have bought one said they dont actually work.

Be aware!!

cheap elm device is stanard OBD2 scanner which can do simple "scan" function
CAN Clip is best for Renault, like this one Euro 95
read/clear error code, ok
reset airbags, ok,
computer test, ok
and many other settings

key program, not ok
mileage correction, not ok

if you need to project all above functions, you get a more expensive dealer, lol