R20 BTG - 200 Cup Track Car Blog

In for a penny...

I'm also going full spherical on the front end at the same time, just ordered these from Nick, it was the last kit he has. So I think that's all the rubber bushings out of the car now, I think I'm all solid. It'll be wonderfully compliant on the road.

dsc_0521_1100x731_.jpg

No idea mate, she's been up and down on the ramps for the last 5 weeks. I made the mistake of saying 'I'm in no rush' as I hadn't any track days booked and now I just think she's getting little bits of attention between other jobs :oops:

But, truth be told. I'm not in a huge rush, got a family holiday at Easter then off to New York in May, so might not have many days out before Germany in June.
Be plenty of time later in year. Gonna be great to see how the new upgrades fair

I picked the car up last night, haven't seen it for over 5 weeks :think:. It's had:

- PMS exhaust manifold
- PMS resonated exhaust
- Cambelt
- Aux belt
- Water pump
- Radiator
- Silicone hoses
- Replacement oil cooler hoses
- Relocated oil cooler and better mounting hardware on crash bar
- 2 x new coil packs
- New crank pulley
- Retapped all the coil pack bolt holes and swapped out to a stud and nut setup with stainless hardware
- Adjusted handbrake as the rear calipers were binding
- Hydraulic bonnet strut
- MOT

The work has transformed the idle behaviour, before it was lumpy and rattly which I put down to having stripped interior and solid mounted everything, but now once it's warmed up, with the new coil packs and crank pulley it settles into a nice smooth idle and has much better manners than before, and has taken a lot of the vibration out. My mechanic also spotted that he reckons it was running 3-4 degrees out on the timing which is weird, so he made sure everything lined up properly when the new belt went on.

Could be entirely placebo, but with the timing sorted, new belts, new coil packs and PMS full system it certainly felt happier to rev right to the top and and felt zingier and like it was pulling a touch harder. That could just be from not driving it for a while, or the fact that the handbrake isn't dragging any more.

Still no track action booked, because all the cup racer front end bits have arrived and are waiting in my garage to be fitted. I'll get it booked back in for the solid front arms (do I get them powder coated while they're off?) and cup racer setup in the next couple of weeks. Then I need to get it remapped for the new exhaust, and the corner weighting and geometry done. I might be able to sneak in a shakedown in May some time before the Nurburgring trip.

Gratuitous 'back in the garage' shot:

IMG_1807.jpeg

Looking like its going to be night and day setup to last year :thumb:

Did Nick sell you the solid front arms separately or am I misunderstanding? Ignore me, thought you meant the new solid subframe bushes/arm.

Reactions: R20BTG
He sold me the bearing kit separately, I'll need to have the current poly bushes pressed out and these pressed back in. Just wondered whether to powder coat the bare arms when they're off the car as part of that process.

If you powder coat the arms you will find out after a few track days if it was worth it. When they are chipped and looking awful you can do them again :poke:

Last edited:
Reactions: R20BTG
Gradually ticking bits off the list. Needed a map tweak after the PMS manifold and exhaust install.

7c90ecc4742a1e0beded93399877e0d5.jpg

Car was previously mapped @ EFI and made 204.9bhp on a Toyosport manifold and eBay exhaust. Allegedly.

After the new manifold and exhaust it ran 196.0bhp. That’s the kind gains I like for the money involved.

giphy.gif

That doesn’t tell the whole story though, as today’s baseline run was 190.5bhp, so on the day I’ve made 5.5bhp and made the flat spot a bit less noticeable. Also dropped the rev limit from 7800 to 7650 on the advice of RS Tuning.

14cfda4818a68e3a81138f01877da3ad.jpg

So, you’re probably as confused as me. Either EFI over read, RS Tuning under read, or I’ve lost 10bhp somewhere.

Can’t really tell the difference either, so definitely £2k well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the Toyo manifold and eBay back box have a cat in the system?

Have you got a cat in your exhaust system anymore?

I cannot see how you have lost 10 bhp apart from the obvious variables between different dynos.

Reactions: Tarticmonkey
No cats on the previous setup and no cats on the current setup.

I’m being facetious, I think the only real takeaway is comparing back to back runs. In that case I’ve gained about 5bhp peak from the PMS system based on runs from today alone.

What the actual peak number is I don’t really care, as long as I drives well and isn’t over/under fuelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m being facetious, I think the only real takeaway is comparing back to back runs. In that case I’ve gained about 5bhp peak from the PMS system based on runs from today alone.

What the actual peak number is I don’t really care, as long as I drives well and isn’t over/under fuelling.

Smooth power delivery on an engine that will not explode is what it is all about.

Reactions: Beany and jimmybell

Similar Thread Suggestions