Photo Of The Month Chat

Saw this on Facebook the other night Tom, looks much better on my computer screen from Flickr. Very impressive, lovely 'Teg too :thumbsup:

Thanks fellas. Yeah - Facebook kills pictures lol. You can upload in HQ, but not via the phone...

I was explaining to someone at work the idea behind PP in photography. They're of the idea that PP in anyway is a big no-no.

In literally 2 minutes, I corrected an image to demonstrate the power of simple PP techniques, such as fixing the white balance, exposure and horizons. I used the pic from this months POTM of the Meg. It's a good photograph and seemed the most fitting. Just thought I'd share the process I went through for anyone wondering about the power of PP.

Original Picture

12484701513_4f1dfd6991_c.png
Original by Tom Cash, on Flickr

White Balance fixed by colour picking a white area on the number plate in light room:

12485050784_050c13117e_c.png
White Balance Comparison by Tom Cash, on Flickr

What this looks like as a whole picture:

12484567475_e8a0b13a6b_c.png
White Balance 2 by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Then quickly fixed the horizon using a relative vertical surface. I also boosted the exposure a stop and removed the distracting bonnet reflection.

12484700833_f194e94b60_c.png
Exposure, Horizon, Reflection by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Thought it was quite a difference to what was already a good photograph and that the OP and other togs may appreciate me sharing the process.

In the post it says he used Adobe Lightroom @Yiannis197. Although he may have also used Photoshop to remove the reflection in the bonnet.

Nice work Tom, it can/does make a huge difference when used right. Personally the third picture for me has the best exposure. I'm still learning my way around Lightroom, its much more powerful than I first thought, just need more time on it. TBH I always try and pay close attention to my WB when shooting anyway so I've very rarely had to change it.

Also, with that photo of your rig set up, do you then have to edit the rig out of the image? or am I being stupid and missing something obvious?!

I was explaining to someone at work the idea behind PP in photography. They're of the idea that PP in anyway is a big no-no.

In literally 2 minutes, I corrected an image to demonstrate the power of simple PP techniques, such as fixing the white balance, exposure and horizons. I used the pic from this months POTM of the Meg. It's a good photograph and seemed the most fitting. Just thought I'd share the process I went through for anyone wondering about the power of PP.

Original Picture

12484701513_4f1dfd6991_c.png
Original by Tom Cash, on Flickr

White Balance fixed by colour picking a white area on the number plate in light room:

12485050784_050c13117e_c.png
White Balance Comparison by Tom Cash, on Flickr

What this looks like as a whole picture:

12484567475_e8a0b13a6b_c.png
White Balance 2 by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Then quickly fixed the horizon using a relative vertical surface. I also boosted the exposure a stop and removed the distracting bonnet reflection.

12484700833_f194e94b60_c.png
Exposure, Horizon, Reflection by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Thought it was quite a difference to what was already a good photograph and that the OP and other togs may appreciate me sharing the process.
[MENTION=3537]Tom[/MENTION] Good job :thumbsup:

Got a link your flikr? Doesnt work when i click the one below the pic

Thanks for sharing mate. Which software do you use for PP?
I used Adobe Lightroom for everything other than the reflection removal. That was done using the clone tool in Adobe Photoshop.

Although paint looks matte in the final photograph.
Yeah, completely agree. I wasn't sure if I preferred it TBF...

Nice work Tom, it can/does make a huge difference when used right. Personally the third picture for me has the best exposure. I'm still learning my way around Lightroom, its much more powerful than I first thought, just need more time on it. TBH I always try and pay close attention to my WB when shooting anyway so I've very rarely had to change it.
Thanks Rob. Yeah, there was quite a learning curve with LR and I'm still going. I think WB and exposure are some of the most important things in a picture. Those are the things I am always looking at and aside from composition, can really make or break the impact of a picture IMO.

Also, with that photo of your rig set up, do you then have to edit the rig out of the image? or am I being stupid and missing something obvious?!
Yup. I edit the picture using LR to ensure my colours, etc are right. Then I export as JPEG and clone out the rig in Photoshop before taking it back into LR for final adjustments. The entire process currently takes me about an hour per picture. The guy I bought the rig off said that he'd mastered the technique and was removing rigs in 20 minutes. I LOOK FORWARD TO THAT!!!!

@Tom Good job :thumbsup:

Got a link your flikr? Doesnt work when i click the one below the pic
Thanks Steve.

This is my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/itomcash/ <----- Best Quality
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tomcashweb <------ More back-story, interaction and behind the scenes
Website: http://www.tomcash.co.uk <------- Only my best (well, these days anyway...)

Yup. I edit the picture using LR to ensure my colours, etc are right. Then I export as JPEG and clone out the rig in Photoshop before taking it back into LR for final adjustments. The entire process currently takes me about an hour per picture. The guy I bought the rig off said that he'd mastered the technique and was removing rigs in 20 minutes. I LOOK FORWARD TO THAT!!!!

Photoshop I am good with, need to learn some photo editing skills though. I am off to study Graphic Design in September. Photography is a hobby at the minute but only just bought a DSLR so hoping to learn quickly!

You have some fantastic work.

Guys: New theme for Feb/March is now up. Sorry for the delay, had a c*nt of a time with work lately. The theme will be colour so plenty of scope to get creative.

Dull greyness then, oh wait here is a pic of the beautiful North Yorkshire country side.

Hang on I was right to start with.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392392169.058830.jpg

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jasonlovesfrench Clio General Chat 3
Robo_#1 Gallery 0
Robo_#1 Gallery 0
mingernick Gallery 5
Roy POTM Archives 10