Nitrogen gas in tyres ? whats the deal

Nitrogen gas in tyres ? whats the deal ? Sounds good reading it on the web but....

So my new tyres apparently have Nitrogen gas in them, one of them was a bit lower in pressure, can i just add more air from my foot pump, 1psi ? or will this defeat the object of the nitrogen gas ?

Also i didn't ask for nitrogen, but they put it on my reciept £1 extra for each wheel.

yeah i have nitrogen in mine.

everyone at work has it in there cars..... F1 use it dont they sooooooo suppose must be better than air the millions of £'s they spend on research etc.

just take it back and get them to put more in! shouldnt loose pressure unless u have a puncture not like normal air. ....or something like that :tongueout:

Nitrogen gas in tyres ? whats the deal ? Sounds good reading it on the web but....

So my new tyres apparently have Nitrogen gas in them, one of them was a bit lower in pressure, can i just add more air from my foot pump, 1psi ? or will this defeat the object of the nitrogen gas ?

Also i didn't ask for nitrogen, but they put it on my reciept £1 extra for each wheel.

Wouldn't worry about a bit of normal air in there with it. If you think about it, they didn't inflate your tyres in a vacuum so it wont be 100% nitrogen anyway.

Just a money making gimic. Makes no difference at all and hardly any benefit.

Normal compressed air is 78% nitrogen anyway, 21% is oxygen and 1% other gases.

Air craft have nitrogen in their tyres as it makes the inside of the tyre dry...moisture in normal air can freeze at the high altitudes jets fly at, causing problems on landing.

Race cars use nitrogen to give a slightly smoother ride, can make all the difference in say F1.

No doubt tyre places sell it on how it doesn't leak as much as normal air but if the valve is faulty or the tyre ain't sealed right then no matter what gas is in there its still gonna get out!

it make the car lighter... so less pressure on the tyres means they last longer and less rolling resistance means better fuel economy...:lol::lol::lol:

main advantage of nitrogen is to maintain air pressure - it doesnt loose pressure like "normal" air - and it does work - but if you check your tyres regularly why bother :001_rolleyes:

This was a big thing with lotus's, the main reason was during track time the tyres get hot and the air inside expands increasing the tyre pressures and sometimes reducing grip. Nitrogen doesnt hold heat maintaining a consistant pressure.

as all the above, when the tyres heats it it cause the oxygen content of the air to heat and expand, this causes the pressure in the tyre to increase, so its kinda like over inflating your tyre so you loose grip. Thats why some people let a little air out their tyres on track days

It's also dry which is a huge benefit.
As the moisture increases the problems, we have all seen the water come from the air lines at garages.