New discs

Paul

Platinum Member
First of all I just want to say thank you once again to RichandGem for sorting these out for me, even when he has been busy with work, he still found time to fit this in. :jase2:

Im more than happy with the results. It is exactly what I was looking for. Not sure what other peoples opinion of the design is, but I really like it, but then I suppose I would do lol!

Anyway I will shut up and see what you all think...

P1040609.jpg

P1040617.jpg

P1040621.jpg

P1040628.jpg

So are they a pair of OEM discs with the pattern etched/engraved/cut/whatever you call it into them? Lol! Looks different! I want some better discs, think I'll get some normal grooved to the edge pattern though. How much we talking? Is there another thread about this? I seem to remember something, but I did sleep last night so can't remember much from yesturday now either!

The point of the pattern is actually for a reason. They relieve gas from the pad better, are much less prone to cracking and are quieter that traditional grooves. Alcon, AP and Brembo have been moving towards this design for a while now.

Just get anything other than cross drilled.

looks "groovy" mate pardon the pun lol. I love it. anything custom really floats my boat

Thanks everyone, like I said I didn't expect 100% approval, they aren't the usual way of doing dscs. I saw them on a Nissan GTR a while back and wanted them (and the car obv lol) I found out that the design is by AP so sent Rich a pic to see if he could copy it - which he has perfectly. They are just Renault standard discs, I could have had Brembos, which were cheaper, but they aren't painted and therefore would rust and thats not a look I wanted.

With regards to price I would point you in the direction of Rich if you are serious for them, as it isn't something he does regularly. All I can say is that its similar to other good quality grooved discs + delivery (bearing in mind how heavy they are etc.) + time and effort for a custom design. Seeing as they are to your spec its a price worth paying.

Yeah Mike, you certainly seem to know yours stuff, Iv read your other thread re calipers and I cant wait to see what you have planned! As much as I like cross-drilled the number of £100,000 Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos I have seen with severe cracks makes me worry just what would happen if it was drilled by anyone other than the manufacturer for a guarantee.

Haha Si my car is bright yellow - not exactly manly to start with... :wink:

Lol Woody the old ones are the best hey!?

Last edited:
So glad your happy with them mate its so good to get such positive feedback for the hard work. I like to get them exactly as people want :smile:

With regards to the pricing, if anyone wants a price send me a pm. Because it's a customised process the price can vary. I know you can get grooved disks cheaper from elsewhere but I like to think you won't get the same standard from anyone else. And I only use top quality disks. Yes I could buy cheaper disks but I dont want to supply disks that aren't top notch. Plus cheaper disks are more prone to cracking.

Grooves that stay in the disks are generally better as it keeps more strength in the disk.

Arranshuker, yes these are just OEM disks that have been grooved, OEM disks are high carbon Brembo's on the front of the 197 so they are a brilliant disk to start with. Most company's that supply grooved disks just buy blanks and machine grooves in them

Thanks for the nice comments and feedback guys, it means a lot :smile:

Right well I have just finished fitting them and TBH I'm feeling quite proud! :uk:

Only took just over two hours to strip them down, clean the calipers and pads, copper slip it all up and fit the new discs. Not too bad for a complete novice lol! Going to go out now and start bedding them in so I only have a couple of quick snaps while it was in the garage, they aren't brilliant quality.

P1040633.jpg

P1040636.jpg

P1040639.jpg

:001_wub:

Thats nice, just like impreza wrc pattern...Just wondering, will you protect the grooved curves with paint or.... My friend always gives the new OEM discs to be zink or chrome plated. It costs about 10€ for pair only. Just to avoid rust on non-break surfaces. So, if I understand corectly, those are OEM Brembo discs and Rich grooved additional curves on surface with some kind of CNC machine?
Ap discs are similiar http://www.subaruwrcspares.com/resources/_wsb_418x408_AP+Gravel+FR+Disc.jpg
Nice brakes :clap: , I'm hardly waiting to change mine ( but I have only 5K miles, so it will take some time:tongue_smilie:smile:

Paint in the grooves? Honestly, don't bother!

Plastikote BBQ paint works well on the other bits though, if you're that way inclined.

Last edited:
those AP ones look very naughty too do they have more grooves than ures paul or is it the size of disk?