New discs

So, if I understand corectly, those are OEM Brembo discs and Rich grooved additional curves on surface with some kind of CNC machine?
Nice brakes :clap: , I'm hardly waiting to change mine ( but I have only 5K miles, so it will take some time:tongue_smilie:smile:

Yeah you have that correct. They are just normal Renualt discs which have been milled on a CNC machine. It was the AP design that I saw but not on a subaru.

Paint in the grooves? Honestly, don't bother!

Plastikote BBQ paint works well on the other bits though, if you're that way inclined.

Thanks Mike, they come painted though so I think it should be fine and no other surfaces should get rusty. The ones I took off were very good - just covered in brake dust so Im not too worried about that.

those AP ones look very naughty too do they have more grooves than ures paul or is it the size of disk?

Aye they look great too don't they! I have 16 grooves in mine and depending on what size AP ones you get they can come with anything from 16-24 hooks.

Right I have been out for a drive and they are great, however I have a question...

I have not changed the pads as there is loads of life left in them and I didn't think it would be worthwhile as Im not into trackdays etc. So while I have been out every time I braked I have been able to clearly hear a clicking which will be from the grooves I'm wondering if this is going to be a permanent addition or if (as I think) when the pads and discs are bedded properly it wont be noticeable. If anyone has grooved discs can you let me know what they were like when you first got them as this is the first time I have had them...

Thanks in advance

nope no noise on mine !

did you rough and flattern the pads off before putting back ?

Huh I may have a problem then...

No I didn't think they should make a noise. Especially after Mike said they should be quieter lol!

I didn't do that Si, TBH no idea how I would go about it!?

Huh I may have a problem then...

No I didn't think they should make a noise. Especially after Mike said they should be quieter lol!

I didn't do that Si, TBH no idea how I would go about it!?

i use a piece of glass with some emery paper on and then rub the pad over it - it breaks the surface wear and flattens the pad face off - just makes it quicker to bed into the new discs

the clicking could be because of the pads running over the new grooves on the discs - when the "sharp" edges of the grooves are worn it may disappear

Last edited:
OK thanks for that - I will give it a go one night this week, see if it helps

Yeah I did think that actually, I thought that it was because of the square edge of the pad when it hits the groove would cause the noise and it should 'round off' so to speak as they wear in. Hope it does.

OK thanks for that - I will give it a go one night this week, see if it helps

Yeah I did think that actually, I thought that it was because of the square edge of the pad when it hits the groove would cause the noise and it should 'round off' so to speak as they wear in. Hope it does.

Check this short brake tutorial :smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDqkwjartM8 , and focus on 1:23 , there you can see the shape of braking pad. Maybe its special shape for that grooved design... just suggestion...

Check this short brake tutorial :smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDqkwjartM8 , and focus on 1:23 , there you can see the shape of braking pad. Maybe its special shape for that grooved design... just suggestion...

Thanks for link - its a very good point you make but I think the separation shown in the vid is more likely to be for the 8 pot brakes more than the discs design, however I could be wrong...

I think the problem I am having is to do with the leading edge of the pad making contact with the grooves in a way it isn't used to. Im sure that it will lessen over time, afterall I have only done a couple of hours driving with them and wasn't exactly pushing hard.

those calipers must be worth a small fortune but then again the cars are £500,000 each lol

yeah unless u use something like pagid pads lol they are like steel on steel lol

Ah right! Can you tell im young and inexperienced lol!? Where is the best place t get new pads?

I personally recommend red stuff on the grounds that they stop u on a pin head when they are warm and they create very little brake dust. I would go direct to EBC or KTec ure looking at paying £90 for fronts no matter what pad u use realy mate. stay away from ferodo and carbon lorraine as they sqqqqqqqqqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell like hell lol

3M anti squeal shims... the business.

Link

Get a bench grinder and chamfer the leading edge of the pads about 45degrees, it'll help with noise and make them a little more progressive too.

EBC stuff is toss, IMO. I don't understand people being willing to spend £xx,xxx on a car and then scrimping on important stuff like brakes and tyres. Buy s***, buy twice.