New Clio 197 Owner - Engine Behaviour Question

Hey.

New Clio 197 member, posted a couple of times, mainly about having powerflex black engine mount inserts and wanting to remove so I can walk normally again lol.

Anyway, aside from that, I have noticed the car is quite flat between idle up to 2K RPM. It doesn't rev as smoothly as I'd expect either, but I've never driven one before. Also, it feels like it struggles a little at lower speeds when just setting off.

I've also noticed an occasional whistling, whine, very intermittent, it did it a few times when I revved, clutch dipped, not in gear.

It has a KTR induction kit, toyo manifold and full decatted scorpion exhaust system, running the original map.

Could this just be the case of needing a remap or is there something else I should consider?

Hey.

New Clio 197 member, posted a couple of times, mainly about having powerflex black engine mount inserts and wanting to remove so I can walk normally again lol.

Anyway, aside from that, I have noticed the car is quite flat between idle up to 2K RPM. It doesn't rev as smoothly as I'd expect either, but I've never driven one before. Also, it feels like it struggles a little at lower speeds when just setting off.

It has a KTR induction kit, toyo manifold and full decatted scorpion exhaust system, running the original map.

Could this just be the case of needing a remap or is there something else I should consider?

Emissions rules, the standard map and being a 'revver / valver' with peak power high up in the range - means these cars don't have oodles of power down below - even when running great !

Mix in some mods done - without being mapped to suit; and it's a recipe for going nowhere fast or running great in the low rev range.

BUT: seeing as your car has all the normal breathing mods done - a remap will work wonders i promise. Myself and many-many others can tell you that from experience......

Where in the Country are you ? (Trying to gauge your nearest reputable mapper)

Emissions rules, the standard map and being a 'revver / valver' with peak power high up in the range - means these cars don't have oodles of power down below - even when running great !

Mix in some mods done - without being mapped to suit; and it's a recipe for going nowhere fast or running great in the low rev range.

BUT: seeing as your car has all the normal breathing mods done - a remap will work wonders i promise. Myself and many-many others can tell you that from experience......

Where in the Country are you ? (Trying to gauge your nearest reputable mapper)

Cheers, at least I know its not a fault, which was my main worry.

Apparently the noise could be a PCV valve?

I stay in Glasgow mate .... there is a company not far from me called ECO Tune, not sure if they're any good though....

Definitely needs mapping. Mine threw a cam sensor just to add to the poor low rev power. Shame you aren't down south, Shuv and I plus many others will tell you how good Andy from Engine Dynamics is...

@Sean197 @LOCKE more your realm?

Definitely needs mapping. Mine threw a cam sensor just to add to the poor low rev power. Shame you aren't down south, Shuv and I plus many others will tell you how good Andy from Engine Dynamics is...

@Sean197 @LOCKE more your realm?
Cheers Benno.

Hopefully they might be able to point me in the way of a good mapper.

I'm going to clean the PCV valve and inlet valve, well, I say I, might get a friendly mechanic to do it for me at the same time as taking off the black powerflex mounts.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I ended up travelling to RS Tuning in Leeds purely on reputation and I wasn't disappointed. I struggled to find anyone up here who could map the renault ecu without using a generic flash map.

I ended up travelling to RS Tuning in Leeds purely on reputation and I wasn't disappointed. I struggled to find anyone up here who could map the renault ecu without using a generic flash map.
Cheers Sean. Did you consider Automek?

How much did it set you back Sean and how much difference between before and after did you see?

Can't say anything about places up your way Tony, but I will say go and get it done by somewhere like RS Tuning. You really won't regret it, it'll be a different car when you drive it off the rolling road.

Can't say anything about places up your way Tony, but I will say go and get it done by somewhere like RS Tuning. You really won't regret it, it'll be a different car when you drive it off the rolling road.
Thanks Benno.

What sort of cost would I be looking at, thinking about RS tuning?

How long does it take, can I hang about etc

Cheers Sean. Did you consider Automek?

How much did it set you back Sean and how much difference between before and after did you see?

Tried a few, all said no except HQ Performance in Dalgety Bay but they wanted 99 per hour and said it could take 5 hours. Mine at RS Tuning came to 700 but I had a 630cc injectors supplied and fitted - mine had a megane engine. Went from 230bhp to 278bhp and 285lb ft. Paul at RS Tuning also sorted a few bits and pieces free of charge and they were really helpful and knowledgeable. A lot of people here recommend them.

Reactions: Pav
Tried a few, all said no except HQ Performance in Dalgety Bay but they wanted 99 per hour and said it could take 5 hours. Mine at RS Tuning came to 700 but I had a 630cc injectors supplied and fitted - mine had a megane engine. Went from 230bhp to 278bhp and 285lb ft. Paul at RS Tuning also sorted a few bits and pieces free of charge and they were really helpful and knowledgeable. A lot of people here recommend them.
Thanks again Sean.

Could they also do a cambelt change?

I've a few bits and bobs on my list and was thinking I could maybe get a deal.

Though £700 was far more than I was expecting to pay for a map lol.

Thanks again Sean.

Could they also do a cambelt change?

I've a few bits and bobs on my list and was thinking I could maybe get a deal.

Though £700 was far more than I was expecting to pay for a map lol.

Sean was running a Meg engine at the time though, would probably be a lot cheaper for a standard 197 map. £3-400 at a guess, that was the ballpark from Engine Dynamics so wouldn't be too far out I imagine.

Thanks Benno.

What sort of cost would I be looking at, thinking about RS tuning?

How long does it take, can I hang about etc

Don't see why you couldn't stay with the car, I did at ED. Took about 4 hours but that was a full inspection on the car, diagnosing the cam sensor fault (took the most amount of time), mapping and fitting a Scorpion exhaust.

Don't see why you couldn't stay with the car, I did at ED. Took about 4 hours but that was a full inspection on the car, diagnosing the cam sensor fault (took the most amount of time), mapping and fitting a Scorpion exhaust.
Wonder if I can strike a deal, to have all the work done.

I need a cambelt change too, Rentec in Edinburgh will do this and all the bits/auxiliary for £390.

Wonder if I can strike a deal, to have all the work done.

I need a cambelt change too, Rentec in Edinburgh will do this and all the bits/auxiliary for £390.

Give them an email, get a contact in there so you know who you're talking to, I'm sure they'd be able to do something for you mate. Andy was brilliant, don't see why these guys would be any different, only heard good things! :thumb:

Give them an email, get a contact in there so you know who you're talking to, I'm sure they'd be able to do something for you mate. Andy was brilliant, don't see why these guys would be any different, only heard good things! :thumb:
Yeah. I've sent them an email, hopefully get a reply tomorrow.

Guessing I might need to stay overnight if it's having the timing belt done too.

My clutch is squeaky too, read a thread on here that it could be the master slave cylinder.

What's the best place to sort parts?

They might be able to, haven't had to buy one myself yet touch wood! Definitely worth shopping around in terms of price, but you'll struggle to find a better service than RPD.

Similar Thread Suggestions