Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Projects/Progress Threads' started by petercronin, Jul 23, 2018.
always do this yourself..will last longer too...
Well another little update, rear discs are all painted and lovely. They’ll be fitted along with some newly refurbished rear callipers when I get them done in my spare time at work. Thanks to Eddie on here for sending me his used ones. So far I’ve stripped most of the paint and corrosion but I’m probably going to need to find someone who can blast the remaining areas I can’t get to. I’ve also removed the pistons and seals and loosened the bleed nipples so bar a polish with some finer sanding discs to remove the scratches they’re ready for paint (not sure what colour yet) and rebuild.
Also, I didn’t really want to spend this coming up to Christmas but it’s such a good deal and I was planning on it at some point in the new year anyway so.......
Be rude not to!
ive always enjoyed painting my calipers..hard work but the result was well worth it..hope all goes well..
Thanks, it certainly is - the paint is surprisingly hard. Aerospace paint stripper barely touched it, I ended up having to sand it all off.
So a further update, the calliper stripping and prep is still ongoing in spare moments at work. I’ve taken to sanding the paint and corrosion off carefully with a Dremel and tiny abrasive bits to get into all the little awkward areas as I want the new paint to have a good surface to stick to.
I was at RS Tuning yesterday to have the Akrapovic Evo system fitted and a remap. All was going well until Paul tried to fire the dyno up for the first time since just before Christmas - it didn’t want to play - back to work blues for the dyno I guess! So he spent ages trying to figure out what was wrong and eventually found something had burnt out which powers the front roller. With no spares for it it was looking like I’d have to come back another time but he suggested that he might be able to run the dyno in reverse. So that’s what we did, those who have been will notice my car is the wrong way.
He had some issues with the car slipping on the rollers, I didn’t know this but a dyno has a slippy rotor and a grippy one. Because my car was backwards it was trying to drive the slippy wheel rather than the grippy one. He’s said that this is the reason the power figure is very far off where it should be and from everything he could see he expects a proper run to be in the normal range for what I have done to the car. I’m glad he took the time to explain this because before he did I was gutted when I seen the screen.
There was also a few other issues with running backwards, lack of a big fan which he tried to get around with by using smaller ones (seemed to work) and lack of proper extraction which he couldn’t get around so the room was a bit smelly during each run.