My LY 200

Discussion in 'Projects/Progress Threads' started by petercronin, Jul 23, 2018.

1. lewishunter98

lewishunter98 Paid Member

Car:
    Racing Blue Clio 197
    Makes me really want to get my B14's on! Going from cup shocks and H&R springs too, can't wait.

petercronin likes this.

2. Dumdum

Dumdum Gold Member

Car:
    Renault Clio RS200 CUP/fiat ducato campervan
    Out of curiosity what/how much did you have to cut? Just open up the hole by aset amount? Do you get a strengthening plate for underneath or do they assume the aluminium top will add in strength?

3. petercronin

petercronin Paid Member

Car:
    LY FF Clio 200 with Cup Pack
    The hole just needed opened up a bit, an 80mm hole saw was enough to get the right clearance.

You don’t get a strengthening plate as standard but they are available. To be honest though the mount as it is seems much more substantial than the oem one. I’m going to keep an eye on them for any signs of flexing (or worse) and strengthen it if needs be. But I think a fair few people are running these now though and I haven’t heard any horror stories yet.

4. petercronin

petercronin Paid Member

Car:
    Alignment time. Just waiting on the initial measurements and if the rear end is miles out I’ll buy some shims and come back for setup another time.

If it’s close enough side to side I’m going to go for a touch more front camber and toe out, don’t want to go too wild with it yet as it still gets more road use than track. But having the ability to get both sides equal should be good, the last alignment I got both front sides were different.
    4d31752c00ecd1588ea66b8c2747576e.jpg

Big Ben and Sean197 like this.
  5. Big Ben

Big Ben Winner - POTM February 2018 Paid Member

Car:
    Interested on what they say for the rear.

6. petercronin

petercronin Paid Member

Car:
    Well results are in and it’s out a bit, looking at shimming it to get it spot on. What do you guys reckon?
    75180b9338008353848a56a09f913679.jpg

7. Big Ben

Car:
    Do it once do it right if it was mine. Bit of a ball ache having to go back though!

8. petercronin

petercronin Paid Member

Car:
    That was my intention all along, so I’m thinking of a 20 and a 30 min camber shim to get both sides roughly the same at 1 deg and 30ish mins. Then a 10 min toe shim to get the right hand side roughly back where it should be. Unless anyone else has a better suggestion?

Big Ben likes this.
  9. Big Ben

Car:
    If you’re going on track I’d suggest 2.5deg camber on the front. Still driveable daily(odd bit of tramlining) but keeps the front planted and evens out tyre wear

Sean197 and petercronin like this.
  10. Dumdum

Dumdum Gold Member

Car:
    Tbh I had considered cutting (and welding an extra plate for strength) my top mounts further in to effectively oval the hole and make it possible to add camber with slotting the bolt holes, see no reason why it wouldnt work nicely

11. petercronin

petercronin Paid Member

Car:
    I imagine as long as it’s all cut correctly it should work. Only issue I see is making sure it doesn’t move. I take it yours is a late style top mount too? If I had an early style I don’t think I’d go through the hassle of cutting anything though as there’s mounts you can just bolt in.

12. petercronin

petercronin Paid Member

Car:
    Little update with the rear alignment issue, I’ve had someone suggest it could be the wheel bearing so I might look at this before anything to make sure it’s right, rather than hiding a problem with shims. The last time I checked there was no noise or obvious play in it but you never know. The discs are maybe 3 years old and 15k (ish) miles so I’d be surprised if it had failed unless I’d managed to mess up the installation somehow.

13. Ocsltd

Ocsltd Paid Member

Car:
    Renaultsport Clio 200 (PW)
    Doesn't it look great on that ramp amongst all that other drab stuff!!

Foxspeed and Sean197 like this.
  14. rSilva

rSilva Paid Member

Car:
    Clio F1
  15. petercronin

petercronin Paid Member

Car:
    Thanks. There’s a lovely VX220 you can see the back end of in that pic and a race prepared Twingo 133 in the trailer at the back.

16. petercronin

petercronin Paid Member

Car:
    I thought the same until o fitted them, I’d recommend consider them, the ride is much better than standard. Thanks for the suggestion but I’ve got adjustable top mounts fitted so I can get plenty from them. I’ve not got personal experience of using these bushes but I’ve heard that they can move when you don’t want them to.

17. rSilva

rSilva Paid Member

Car:
    Clio F1
    I'm not planning on kerb surfing, so I shouldn't have major issues :smile:
    Thanks for the feedback

18. petercronin

petercronin Paid Member

Car:
    So yesterday whilst bored at work I finally motivated myself to do something I’ve been putting off for a while. It looked fairly clean but the amount of dirt that came out was surprising - glad I used the work sink, don’t think the Mrs would have been too impressed! It’s made a noticeable difference to low rpm running too

Before
    bae52b40450ef6c7f03f821a1ba61bf4.jpg

After
    a7ab126d8dc02dec01be599b4480b9fe.jpg

Sean197 and Foxspeed like this.
  19. petercronin

petercronin Paid Member

Car:
    This saving money thing is a right pain, I’ve spent ages masking these up!! But they are much cheaper than the oem ones, Godspeed got me some plain discs (available on request if anyone is interested I paid £110 delivered with new nuts and caps) and apparently they have the oem bearings in. We’ll see how they stand up I guess.
    f0f3d9b33e8a3e54ee63030f45c0c821.jpg 2ad0a8f4a6d35d7abe84b4a29a9bd8aa.jpg bd67c4e93799eb515bd6edd98db0e9b1.jpg

fastrs, Addison, suj and 1 other person like this.
  20. Dumdum

Dumdum Gold Member

Car:
    It has nothing to do with kerb surfing... cornering forces act sideways and the bushes move in there housings, so it’s driving the car that moves them... so yes you probably will as lots of people have who don’t drive into kerbs