197: Mods + £= bhp?

IMO.....
including fitting costs

Standard car (avg) = 185bhp
Remap, exhaust (decat) and filter (avg) + £850'ish= 190bhp
as above + matched inlets and V6 box, battery relocation (avg)+ £600'ish = 195bhp
as above + cams (avg) + £1450'ish = 215bhp

So 30bhp NA can cost around £3000...GULP!!!!!

Last edited:
IMO.....
including fitting costs

Standard car (avg) = 185bhp
Remap, exhaust (decat) and filter (avg) + £850'ish= 190bhp
as above + matched inlets and V6 box, battery relocation (avg)+ £600'ish = 195bhp
as above + cams (avg) + £1450'ish = 215bhp

So 30bhp NA can cost around £3000...GULP!!!!!

+ITB £3000 +225bhp = £6000

Double GULP.......Hats off and utmost respect to those who do it (I'm up to 196bhp) and *the disclaimer* (not questioning the morals or motivation, how people spend their money, justification, the size of their manhood or wallets of those who have done it), but does reflect the costs of £ vs BHP of NA.

Last edited:
To some people it's just a hobby (spending their hard earned money on what the love). Which in a lot of cases is their Clios.

To some people it doesn't matter how much it costs. If we have some extra moneys kicking about I'd rather spend it on something for the Clio as opposed to drinking it away which you could say is even more of a waste of money?

To some people it's just a hobby (spending their hard earned money on what the love). Which in a lot of cases is their Clios.

To some people it doesn't matter how much it costs. If we have some extra moneys kicking about I'd rather spend it on something for the Clio as opposed to drinking it away which you could say is even more of a waste of money?

Read -*the disclaimer* (not questioning the morals or motivation, how people spend their money, justification, the size of their manhood or wallets of those who have done it)

The costs of £ vs BHP of NA......Not beer\fags\drugs\nappies\family holiday vs hobby!!!!

Last edited:
It's such a personal thing modifying a car so really no "common sense" way of thinking about like that.

It's such a personal thing modifying a car so really no "common sense" way of thinking about like that.

REPEAT
Read -*the disclaimer* (not questioning the morals or motivation, how people spend their money, justification, the size of their manhood or wallets of those who have done it)

The costs of £ vs BHP of NA......

Whats to discuss then? You just stating facts again or wanna discuss why what you have said doesnt really hold any value.

The modifying business doesn't revolve around that ratio though.

Not peoples justification or how they spend their money. 'Sometimes' given that the input doesn't always equal the cost. As already mentioned some people go to the charge side knowing that their £3000 will equal more than 30bhp. There will always be those that prefer the power delivery of NA.

Most people will go the "easier" route when modding. Yes your gonna get better gains from an R26 transplant or supercharger but these are 2 complicated tasks.

Spending that "little bit" extra to keep it simple and safer easier to do.

Also the fact that the 1st SC 197 went through engines like our 6 month yer old goes through nappies.

Other than the N/A route also, theres only 2 places which have tried the transplant route and SC route and they are still in testing. So like I said above. People are chosing the easiest/safest option out there at the present time.

Thing is with n/a is noone ever does it properly and lowers the gearing. spending 3k may get more power at the top end and give you a few more revs but you don't get the full benefit without increasing the gear ratios.

Thing is with n/a is noone ever does it properly and lowers the gearing. spending 3k may get more power at the top end and give you a few more revs but you don't get the full benefit without increasing the gear ratios.

Simo has done this. Definately a thing to consider but maybe not on your daily driver?

I've had a couple of NA four-bangers now and a Turbo four-banger, with regular access to a Focus ST and various Imprezas over the last few years. It's just a personal thing and I don't expect everybody to agree but to me NA engines are just so pure and I much prefer them. I suspect that other RS/Honda NA owners who give up counting what they've spent after a while probably feel the same way. I'm in the middle ground where as much as I'm not tight and I'll happily throw money into something, I do like to weigh it up in a £/BHP sort of way and I do have a limit. I do however fully appreciate that some people have a higher limit then I do!!! :smiley:

There's no room for hiding with them, they're either a good engine or a not so good engine... With a Turbo, sometimes the boost and delivery can overwhelm the senses and mask any imperfections where as even my mum would notice a flatspot or deadzone on an NA engine. Of all the lads I go out with regularly, only myself and one other run NA (BMW 645i). No amount of persausion will get him to go the F/I route either.

I fully get what litchy means, if my dad threw half the money I've spent on Nicole at his Impreza then he'd have gained near enough 100BHP with the right mods, whereas I've probably gained 10-15BHP (once the V6 setup goes on). Hell, he could get another 50BHP with a £400 remap!!!

I think on any decent Turbo engine (sweeping generalisation), the ratio is about £8:1BHP.

On any decent NA engine (RS, Honda, Toyota), the ratio is probably nearer £50:1BHP

That might sound very steep. But, what do we gain on a £300 remap?...

Peak gains of 6BHP!?!

Simo has done this. Definately a thing to consider but maybe not on your daily driver?
You'd wanna keep 6th the same but have at least 1 2 3 4 shorter.

Thing is though they would not feel shorter as you match it to the extra 500revs you get from new cams etc. The only reason you'd want to keep 6th is so as not to affect mpg.

Similar Thread Suggestions